Deep scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hasanahmed50

Car
E Class
Hi, reversed my car into the rear wall and got a deep scratch, deep enough i dont think a normal scratch remover can remove. Any suggestions for a cheap fix?

Attachments

• 359EDB63-F888-445C-BE88-157DF5366848.JPG
    359EDB63-F888-445C-BE88-157DF5366848.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
Welcome. Sorry for the circumstances of your joining....

It this on the plastic bumper?

I would check first if the paint is indeed chiped - I.e. that the white marking isn't paint from the wall deposited on the car's paintwork (WD40 and some elbow grease will do a great job of removing any foreign paint residue).

But on the premise that the car's paintwork is indeed chipped, your options are either a respray, or touching it up.

You could opt for 'smart repair', but after seeing how smart repairers respray panels in the the open air (car park, street, etc), I am not a fan of this technique and prefer the old-fashioned body shop proper job.

If you want to do it yourself get a merc touch up paint (get the code off the door or bonnet) shake well pull out the brush, THEN use a cocktail stick to get a drop of paint off the brush and touch it in, thats your cheapest route remember less is more don't rush it and if you really want to go for gold once you have applied lacquer you could gently rub it smooth with a 2000 paper and then polish it back, but be very careful you can rub through the rest of the lacquer. There are some tips and advice showing you it on youtube.

With regards touch-up paint, you can buy the original MB touch-up product, or buy the Halfords product, or just buy it off eBay.

You can also try this:

I have bought the Chipex kit, and while I have to say that I don't really see a major advantage in using it compared to just buying any old touch-up paint kit (in spite of their claims), it does come complete with everything you need to do the job, so I would still recommend it if you don't mind paying a bit more and get a complete kit including everything you may need.

Welcome. Sorry for the circumstances of your joining....

It this on the plastic bumper?

I would check first if the paint is indeed chiped - I.e. that the white marking isn't paint from the wall deposited on the car's paintwork (WD40 and some elbow grease will do a great job of removing any foreign paint residue).

But on the premise that the car's paintwork is indeed chipped, your options are either a respray, or touching it up.

You could opt for 'smart repair', but after seeing how smart repairers respray panels in the the open air (car park, street, etc), I am not a fan of this technique and prefer the old-fashioned body shop proper job.
Hi Mark

indeed yes, the car was bought exactly a month ago so kind of hard to digest, the exterior was flawless before this. It seems the scratch is deep enough so wouldn't matter if I use scratch removers. The white primer is now showing meaning the paint is gone, the color is palladium silver. A car detailer quoted £120 and a normal body £220. The last option is indeed a touch up. But i am not sure the results would be ideal.

If you want to do it yourself get a merc touch up paint (get the code off the door or bonnet) shake well pull out the brush, THEN use a cocktail stick to get a drop of paint off the brush and touch it in, thats your cheapest route remember less is more don't rush it and if you really want to go for gold once you have applied lacquer you could gently rub it smooth with a 2000 paper and then polish it back, but be very careful you can rub through the rest of the lacquer. There are some tips and advice showing you it on youtube.
Hi, someone suggested this and i called up Merc dealership in Leeds with the reg no. The paint is ready to collect, though can still use advice to apply.

With regards touch-up paint, you can buy the original MB touch-up product, or buy the Halfords product, or just buy it off eBay.

You can also try this:

I have bought the Chipex kit, and while I have to say that I don't really see a major advantage in using it compared to just buying any old touch-up paint kit (in spite of their claims), it does come complete with everything you need to do the job, so I would still recommend it if you don't mind paying a bit more and get a complete kit including everything you may need.
right, so i already ordered a touch up paint from Merc dealership, this is the after application piece I am guessing? Can i just buy the kit now, paint ordered already (silly question!)

If you can find a good smart repair guy, they would do a good job, I had a few far bigger scratches, on my rear bumper on the corner, it possibly happened in the supermarket car park, had it smart repaired and it was flawless, perfect colour match, cost £150, apparently bumpers are good areas to do smart repairs.

right, so i already ordered a touch up paint from Merc dealership, this is the after application piece I am guessing? Can i just buy the kit now, paint ordered already (silly question!)

Nothing you can't get separately:

Small bottle of mild solvent, good for removing the touch-up completely and start afresh if you got it wrong.

Slightly abrasive soft cloth for smoothing-up the repaird after it's done.

A selection of cotton-tipped applicators.

Small bottle of polish to polish-out the area after the paint hardened.

Etc....

Hi welcome if you're finger nail can go into the scratch genuinely it will not be able to remove it with any scratch remover

Hi
once you have the touch up paint don’t use the brush to apply the paint. In most cases it is too big. I use the brush to put a drop of paint on piece of plastic and use a cocktail stick to dab the paint into the scratch. Build up the paint so that the paint is just above the level of the surface. Once the paint has hardened use some very fine paper 3000 grit to just level off the paint. I brought a 3000 grit pad from Halfords a few years ago. Once the paint is level apply some lacquer and let that hardened. After a few days polish the area to remove any light scratches caused from using the 3000 grit paper and blend in the repair.
For this sort of repair which looks low down I doubt people will notice once you have done the repair.

Hi
once you have the touch up paint don’t use the brush to apply the paint. In most cases it is too big. I use the brush to put a drop of paint on piece of plastic and use a cocktail stick to dab the paint into the scratch. Build up the paint so that the paint is just above the level of the surface. Once the paint has hardened use some very fine paper 3000 grit to just level off the paint. I brought a 3000 grit pad from Halfords a few years ago. Once the paint is level apply some lacquer and let that hardened. After a few days polish the area to remove any light scratches caused from using the 3000 grit paper and blend in the repair.
For this sort of repair which looks low down I doubt people will notice once you have done the repair.

Thks for this info pete, I have the paint bottle from Mercedes, it does have a brush so might purchase the items you mentioned and post the results.

Hi
After a few days polish the area to remove any light scratches caused from using the 3000 grit paper and blend in the repair. - which this polish or lacquer is fine?

After a few days polish the area to remove any light scratches caused from using the 3000 grit paper and blend in the repair. - which this polish or lacquer is fine?
Something like Autoglym super resin polish would be fine, its very slightly abrasive, and also contains fillers.

oh yes good to know, will buy off ebay.
I think halfords are doing 3 for 2 at the moment but check before you leave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom