Defacing / Restyling my W202 - big blingy w208 star grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thephatmaster

Car
W202, C200 Saloon, Manual
Defacing / Restyling my W202 - big blingy w209 star grill

Morning all,

Apologies for opening the can and getting worms.... ....everywhere.

I want to either do a w209 frameless grill conversion (with biiiig star) or Avantgarde/S600 grille on my W202. The stock grill has covered many miles and is looking tired.

I know the w209 style grille is deemed disgusting by many - but I like it (in pictures!). Anyway, I stickerbombed my console (much to the disgust of some) so am a fan of garish styling...

I'm pretty comfortable with doing the Avantgarde conversion (buy w210 grill, strategically cut, fit). What I am not comfortable with is the frameless w208 conversion. There seems to be very little info on this.

I don't want to simply buy a fleabay, non OEM cheapo grill - I want to make a w209 grille fit the w202. I like a bit of diy.

Anyone done the star grille swap with an OEM w209 one? If so, I'd be grateful for tips. Particularly as it's frameless and I can't see how that is achieved through online pictures.

Last edited:
Thanks mate but I just got a facelift 208 one from fleabay for £20

W208 grille has arrived and is almost a perfect match at the top edge. There are gaps at the bottom and sides tho.

Probably this will end up being cut down into an insert for the standard grille frame. I'll also probs paint the top and bottom fins black.

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_095623_20170514184442402.jpg
    IMG_20170514_095623_20170514184442402.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 42
If you're going for this [sportier] look, and with black top and bottom fins, you might consider a new black laurel flat badge, as fitted by Mercedes from about March this year - two stars look a bit naff, in my opinion, of course.

Removal of the star emblem will probably happen naturally - it gets broken off every now and then.

Cheers for the tip, will do some taping (in black) of various fins and see what look I like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom