Defecting and not before time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solarmer1

Car
MB 2001 E320cdi, 2010 W212 E350
Hi.

Had enough over 11 years and 3 MB E320CDIs. Dealers are arrogant, dismissive bunch and after 11 years I've had enough of the .... from them, so much so that I'm changing from MB to Jaguar and BMW.

I've put some £120k into MB over the past 11 years and now I've broken the MB spell. Jaguar and BMW here I come.

Nice cars but pity they have to be sold by MB dealers.
Regards
solarmer

I'm presuming that you have bought your cars brand new? If not, it's not the law to buy from the main dealers....

How far have you taken your complaints about the service that you have received?

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that before I bought one - so I knew if I wanted to buy one, it would have to be from a non-franchise and looked after by an independent.

However, I did have a good experience at one MB dealer - so I know they aren't ALL bad, just most...

I'm presuming that you have bought your cars brand new? If not, it's not the law to buy from the main dealers....

How far have you taken your complaints about the service that you have received?

Hi.
All the way through MB UK. Dealer in Wigan I bought new from lost their Franchise. I like to think my persistent complaints had something to do with it. (MB replaced my E Class eventually with a new one).

11 years!! Ah but they are nice cars and I kept giving them one more chance and each time they blew it.
Regards
vectra

What makes you think BMW and jaguar will be any better?

Hope you enjoy what ever it is you swap for.

Make sure you keep this account as you might need it very soon

Sadly, dealer groups are dealer groups, and they're often multi-franchise, so experience on average will be similar between marques. Some dealerships are better than others, but I don't think that's much to do with the marque, more likely the management.

Seems unfortunate that you live in an area where the MB dealer was crap - as you say, they lost their franchise.

I have lived in two quite different areas of England where I have bought both Mercedes and BMW cars from main dealers and can honestly say that I have NEVER received anything other than the most superlative service in every department.

Mind you, we all know we pay way over the odds for such a privilege, but that's another story.

On the other hand, I have over the years had dealings with Ford, Vauxhall and Volvo dealerships and have found these to be inefficient, smarmy, condescending, arrogant and dismissive.

But if you're disillusioned, quite reasonable to take your biz elsewhere - hope it works out better for you.

What makes you think BMW and jaguar will be any better?

BMW have the same thing. I had outstanding service from Sytner High Wycombe (formerly Hughenden) sales and service (one guy 'Bob' was a **** there who couldn't be bothered), whereas sales from Sytner Gerrards Cross, who moved in to SHW with Hughenden, were **** as were sales at BMW North Woodcote roundabout Oxford whatever.

It's more or less the same deal as Merc - so do your research before you select a dealer...

Hi.
Sorry but you have lost me. Can you explain?
Thank you.
Regards
solarmer

What he's saying is that they are all the same, the trouble you've had with Mercedes could just as likely rear it's ugly head with those other car manufacturers.

Recently gave serious thought to Lexus, saw one I liked one evening, called in next morning to arrange drive and talk money, but it was the day they were closing the Franchise!!!! Very smart purpose built showroom only a few years old, nearest now in Cambridge, a fair way from Norwich. So I'll keep the Merc.

Surprised you think BMW will be better.Wife had a 320d on 55 plate and handed it back after 3 years as her company car was due for replacement.We weren't impressed and we didnt have to pick up the garage bills.You may get a shock
Just my 2p

I eneded up buying from MB Croydon, I have three dealers closer to me than Croydon and driving up the Purley Way isn't fun.

However the other three were Franchises, MB Croydon is factory owned.

It made a huge difference to customer service and the deals they offered.

I got £2000 more in part exhcange from Croydon when buying the same new vehicle than I did from any of the Franchised premises.

Shop around, don't assume all Mercedes garages are the same.

Nicest showromms I've ever been to are Lexus - outstanding customer service.

Jaguar were pretty good to.

BMW I've never had a nice experience in any of their showrooms.

LEXUS and JAGUAR consistently come top in car/dealer satisfaction surveys in the executive class. Things against them are LEXUS dealers are somewhat sparse on the ground and Jaguar's future under TATA remains to be seen. They benefited greatly from the production and design input from Ford while under their wing.. As has been said whatever marque you go for your buying/running/servicing experience can be hugely influenced by the presence of a good local dealer--- to a greater extent than the make of car involved within certain limits.

So how do we know if an MB dealer is a Franchise or Factory owned? eg Robinsons of Norwich, Cambridge & Kings Lynn - I guess franchised

Never had a problem with my dealer in Swindon. In fact I can say it's the dealer service I get the has KEPT me staying with MB. The car is nice but I've had my share of problems; but all sorted by dealer who works hard to get me as much goodwill as possible. Can't think of many companies that would contribute 50% on a crankshaft bearing on a car coming up to 6 years old and 90k on the clock.

Generally Honda and Skoda dealers get good write ups so why not go there?

So how do we know if an MB dealer is a Franchise or Factory owned? eg Robinsons of Norwich, Cambridge & Kings Lynn - I guess franchised

Merceds-Benz of London (plus satellite dealerships)
Merceds-Benz of Birmingham (plus satellite dealerships)
Merceds-Benz of Manchester (plus satellite dealerships)

...are all owned by Mercedes-Benz Retail Group UK, who are the UK distributor.

All others are franchised. Some are part of huge multi-franchise, such as Pendragon and Inchape, and others are much smaller single-franchise operations (but multi-dealership).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom