defecting BMW owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lambuza

Car
Mercedes CLS
After 16 years of trouble free motoring in BMW 5 series including an impressively quick E34 540 manual, i have crossed the line after being seduced by a stunning 06 CLS 320cdi with a MB service history and only 26k on the clock and all the toys, all mine for a snip at £12,900.

A bargain, or is it?

After reading some of these posts i've gone from feeling great about the sleek silver machine about to arrive this Friday, to feeling terrified about the potential never ending flow of money and frustration with MB dealers.

I've already spent an alarming amount of time (and still no answer) speaking to the dealer about the relatively simple (or so i thought) task of updating the Sat Nav disks for the Nav unit in the COMAND system. Seems you cannot just buy an updated DVD of maps and pop it in, as that will cause the bloody thing to crash. so you have to update the firmware, software and spend hours on the internet and talking to knowledgeable service personnel...

and there's the issues with the 7g......

please, someone tell me i haven't wasted my money....

After 16 years of trouble free motoring in BMW 5 series including an impressively quick E34 540 manual, i have crossed the line after being seduced by a stunning 06 CLS 320cdi with a MB service history and only 26k on the clock and all the toys, all mine for a snip at £12,900.

A bargain, or is it?

After reading some of these posts i've gone from feeling great about the sleek silver machine about to arrive this Friday, to feeling terrified about the potential never ending flow of money and frustration with MB dealers.

I've already spent an alarming amount of time (and still no answer) speaking to the dealer about the relatively simple (or so i thought) task of updating the Sat Nav disks for the Nav unit in the COMAND system. Seems you cannot just buy an updated DVD of maps and pop it in, as that will cause the bloody thing to crash. so you have to update the firmware, software and spend hours on the internet and talking to knowledgeable service personnel...

and there's the issues with the 7g......

please, someone tell me i haven't wasted my money....

Welcome!

Speak to Richard or Alfie (both members on here but you cannot PM as yet) at COMAND online 01276 451579. They will speak more sense about SatNav and offer more value-for-money than all the MB dealers you speak to. Top blokes!

Can't help with the other stuff but you can bet somene will be along soon who can :thumb:

Thanks for the tip, i have a feeling i'm going to spend a lot of time here so i'll put the kettle on an make myself at home if that's ok with all of you...

Thanks for the tip, i have a feeling i'm going to spend a lot of time here so i'll put the kettle on an make myself at home if that's ok with all of you...

Pics are always welcome. The various GTG's are food fun too - where are you located?

My first Merc.....

West Berkshire-20130419-01285.jpg

I pick her up this Friday.....

One thing i have noticed, there seems far more road noise than i would have expected, is this normal?

I'm based near Henley-on-Thames.....

Nope, i've just given them a call, thanks for the tip, as you said they are very helpful and i've arranged to take the CLS over to them next week to have the Sat Nav upgraded with the new disks.
must admit, quite excited about the CLS, at least if it breaks down it looks great stationary.
Am i being paranoid about the reliability of these??
I've had 3 5 Series BMW's they've all been bomb proof...

These cars are programmed to self destruct after 8 years... So good luck.

Lol.

Love the 219 CLS, a very iconic car.

Try not to worry too much about your new purchase, the vast majority of 320 V6 CDi owners have had trouble free motoring, it was only the odd one that had a bad experience.

Add to that most people join a forum to moan, it's not always a good gauge for Mercedes ownership.

Now if you'd have mentioned rust...............

All you need is an up to date disc as the firmware update is included on them now, pop it in and it will automatically update. I went from 2006 straight up to 2013 on exactly the same system as you have.

There is nothing mysterious about it anymore, you've probably been confused by stuff on the net from years ago when you needed to have a specific and rare updater CD that you put in the headunit to update the firmware. Eventually MB put disc images of this on their website for anyone to download but, as I said, it's included in the new map DVD now so no need, just change the one in the boot for the new one.

Don't want to do anyone out of any business but it really is that simple and your dealer is a muppet for implying otherwise :thumb:

Most economical, legal way to update is to buy last years disc secondhand from ebay or, if you're that way inclined, just say stuff 'em for all the hassle they've caused you and download a copy and burn it yourself if you know how and where to look.

Thanks for all the advice, yes i agree, the CLS is iconic, but from an aesthetic point of view or something thats great to drive and live with?

well since i only paid a shade under £13k for this with 12 months warranty i can't go too far wrong. You're correct about most people joining the Forum to complain, browsing through the posts gives you the impression MB's are plagues with problems.
thanks for the reassurance.

Thanks for all the advice, yes i agree, the CLS is iconic, but from an aesthetic point of view or something thats great to drive and live with?

Given that in reality it is just an E-Class with a heavier but stiffer body that is much bigger on the outside but much smaller on the inside, more difficult to see out of and missing a seat (albeit for the better) what do you reckon we all love about them :)

Given that in reality it is just an E-Class with a heavier but stiffer body that is much bigger on the outside but much smaller on the inside, more difficult to see out of and missing a seat (albeit for the better) what do you reckon we all love about them :)
Quite simple, from the outside its one of the few cars that makes people smile with appreciation, without being ostentatious.
From the inside, i imagine we feel quite smug and knowing while being cosseted in just the right amount of luxury?

Or is it because were all basically 5 years old and we want to drive something makes us go coooorrrrrrrrrr.???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom