Defecting from the defection...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
With the impending return of the Zoe to RCI (not to mention its increasing levels of bork), it was time to find a replacement. I did think about another lease/PCP but this quickly fell by the wayside. The Fiesta ST won't be released in time, and although the Polo GTI has been, you wouldn't believe it given the way my enquiries with VW were treated.

Thus it was time to go back to plan A - a suitably plutocratic gentleman's express, about as far as you can get from the utopian dream of EVs. First thoughts were a W140, but it became clear that adding a 2nd high maintenance classic as an everyday car was not a wise idea. I don't like the 220, and while I love the 221 I couldn't find the right car with the right spec at the right money.

So I ended up in this:
uRtEMUf.jpg

SWB, 4.2 twin turbo diesel. The first owner got fairly click happy with the extras so it has:
The all-singing comfort seats with heating/cooling
Heated rear seats
4zone climate
Digital TV
AMI connection
Surround sound
Solar sunroof
Extended leather
Voice control
Electric blinds
etc etc.

325hp and 480ftlb means it's pretty spritely for a big old bus, the midrange shove is frankly ludicrous. The other major plus is that VCDS diagnostics are far cheaper to acquire than STAR, important when you're dealing with stuff this complex.

The airport car firm I use used to run one of these assuming it's an A8 V8 diesel....?
We nice sat in the back

You'll need to turn off the front parking sensors / proximity sensors as you'll be so close to the car in front though...;)

It won’t disappoint; the Q7 I owned had the same engine and it is hilariously quick, in the A8 it’ll be even quicker.

It won’t disappoint; the Q7 I owned had the same engine and it is hilariously quick, in the A8 it’ll be even quicker.

I took a wrong turn exiting the dealer's site and had to turn around, gave it a bootful out of the junction...the pickup definitely took me by surprise.

Even more surprising was getting 40mpg on the way home, sat at 75 leptons from Kent back to Berkshire.

Went to change a blown sidelight bulb today, which means removing the airbox lids for access.

According to the paperwork, these were changed at the last service, 5k miles ago.

208nxEL.jpg

oXksL2n.jpg

Possibly true re air filters ; the main body of the filters look relatively clean, the leaf debris would have been around after the filter change

Did it come from a rural environment?

As for the car; I would certainly think of one should the right colour and specification come up.

The pictures may be deceptive then, they are absolutely filthy. The material is as grey as the car and even a good knock against the wall isn't shifting the debris, it's absolutely caked in.

Finest rural Berkshire is only a mile or so from my door, even at full interval on our other cars they're not this bad.

The pictures may be deceptive then, they are absolutely filthy. The material is as grey as the car and even a good knock against the wall isn't shifting the debris, it's absolutely caked in.

Finest rural Berkshire is only a mile or so from my door, even at full interval on our other cars they're not this bad.

Was it a main dealer ?

The service was carried out under the previous owner. Independent rather than main dealer, so I'm not sure whether it's worth making inquiries to be honest.

Shame that the selling garage didn't bother to check, but to be fair I can understand why given the paperwork.

Google suggests they're now out of business. Can't say I'm surprised!

TBH the first thing I do when I get a new car is replace all the filters and oil regardless. Just get it done and enjoy the car :)

Air and pollen filters already on order, as if they've not done the former I doubt the latter have been touched either.

Wasn't going to bother with the oil as I'll put it in for service in 5k, but on second thoughts...

And almost a year to the day, my tenure of the A8 ends somewhat unexpectedly.

uxFv9pu.jpg

Hope your ok did catch it fire??

I like the blacked out headlamps a lot, not sure about the rest of the “mods“ though

Hope your ok did catch it fire??

I was about 100yards away, sat safely at my desk on the other side of the building completely unaware! Someone spotted it and used one of the site extinguishers to keep it under control until the professionals arrived.

Wow that’s nasty. Sorry to hear. Glad you’re safe.

Reactions: 219
Glad you were not in it. Any idea what had caused it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom