Defecting from the defection...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happened to a friends low mileage petrol Audi TT he’d owned from new. This was whilst they were in it though doing 40mph along a busy dual carriageway. Shocking stuff.

Don’t hear about any MBs catching fire so maybe it’s a sign to move back.

Glad you weren't in it! Just in time for ULEZ - LEZ.

And almost a year to the day, my tenure of the A8 ends somewhat unexpectedly.

uxFv9pu.jpg

I'm guessing this is the one on the A8 forum. Such a nice car - shame how it ended. At least you learned how to open the door with no electrics!

Joking aside, glad you were no where near the car at the time

I'm guessing this is the one on the A8 forum. Such a nice car - shame how it ended. At least you learned how to open the door with no electrics!

Joking aside, glad you were no where near the car at the time

One and the same. Not something to try and find out in the heat of the moment, so to speak! Would have saved the window from being sawed open but that's the least of the problems. :doh:

Not that there was any doubt, but it was formally written off today. Let the payout wrangling begin.

35aT5BI.jpg

M2V2tYC.jpg

5igRnNY.jpg

WCH3DY4.jpg

enKTP3a.jpg

gGoYVuJ.jpg

Last edited:
Any confirmed view on the source of ignition?

Not that I've been informed, as yet. I don't believe the engineer even bothered trying to work out repair costs.

How long had it been sat, cooling down before it went up?
It's diesel so won't be fuel related (and had it been petrol, there would be less left most likely), so all points to electrical shorting somewhere.

Really odd and a shame, but car shopping .....

Years back I had a fiat regatta that popped a fuel pipe and sprayed petrol all over the engine bay.

Whoosh.

That was fun.

How long had it been sat, cooling down before it went up?
It's diesel so won't be fuel related (and had it been petrol, there would be less left most likely), so all points to electrical shorting somewhere.

Really odd and a shame, but car shopping .....

About 6 hours since driving it to work, and 2 hours after a brief stint to allow another car out (the car park is small so we double stack in that part). It's definitely electrical, but no idea what. The diesel filter stood up quite well, it'd didn't let go but the fittings are pretty melted.

Aye probably. :D

This was almost 30 years ago now. A Regatta 125? 135? Can't remember now.

It's done. The 2nd offer still wasn't quite where it should have been (the 1st nearly causing a Rory Breaker "Is this a declaration of war?" moment), but close enough that I couldn't be bothered to argue any longer.

Test drive booked for 9am ;)

Popcorn ready.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom