Defecting to BMW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JJM

Sorry guys but ive just bought a new shape BMW 525d M Sport which I hope will live up to expectations.

Unfortunately I feel very let down by Mercedes, having owned my car for 18 months I have just experienced too many problems to ever consider buying one again. Such a shame for my first experience of Mercedes.

My dad always had Mercedes and I have fond memories as a kid when they were built properly.

I would buy an older or classic Merc but will steer clear of newer versions.

Maybe one day if they have sort their act out I may reconsider but for now........

I'd be interested in what you think of the car. I am pretty certain I'll be getting a BMW 530d (E60).

It's a shame when a Dealership lets you down, as I assume was the case. I have had 5 MBs so far and although there has been problems I have managed to sort them out locally.

Anyway good luck with your new puchase, as I don't really think BMWs are any better when trouble is brewing, but you will see wont you.

Hello,

The having had a few Bm's I like them, my dads virtually always had mercs, until he swapped once for a 525tds touring (older shape S reg), he hated it but then he swapped a 500SEC for it. Sold it in less than 6 months.

He would agree with you though even now as he owns a E320 Cdi Estate and a SL500 the build quality was better in the old days (W124) and the 500 sec year type.

I will be honest and the styling of the BMW's has become a little random (you don't see many), the 5 series in the sport trim look nice however with larger wheels. Many on the BMW forum had the 535d's and were remapped by DMS, made them a very quick confortable car.

Hope you enjoy it, from the sounds of things the Merc was maybe a Friday afternoon job.

the styling of the 7 was initially odd, but it's really grown on me, I quite like it now. the 3 series is getting a bit better and I like the coupe. but I'm still sturggling a bit with the 5 series styling... I know it's an excellent car, and I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm not sure it would be my first choice.

dave

Nice cars but they have there fair share of problems. My freind bought a new 335 Ci convertible 3 months ago. Smashing car and he reckons almost as quick as his old M3 but 6 weeks into ownership the car stopped working as he was on the M25.
It was recovered and it was found that the engine had ingested various parts of a turbo. Not a problem, they would get a new engine and fit it.
That was untill BMW decided that because he had not been using a recommended higher octane fuel as recomended it was not covered by the warranty and they wanted 15k for a new engine.
The court case is fairly soon I think and I'll let you know the outcome.
BTW he has had alovely VX Corsa to drive around in for the past few weeks.

Wifey has had more probs than I have with her 530d (mainly iDrive related, but a few niggely electronic ones that always seem to require several visits to the dealer).

Unfortunately, imho, it seems to come down to that little bit of luck ( :confused: ) and having a decent dealership on your doorstep.

Might interest you: -
J.D. Power Model by Model

Here’s the league table
http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/1057740480.jpg

Here’s the main report. Lots of detail on models and well worth reading.
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-special-report.aspx?NA=225557

Here are some selections: -
Mercedes C-Class
Rating 81.3%

Overall ranking 23rd=
The C-Class suffered few reliability problems and scored well for cabin layout, but comfort was rated as merely average.
In the past, owners criticised the Merc's maintenance costs, but are now happier that they're getting value for money.

Mercedes E-Class
Rating
81.3%
Overall ranking 23rd=
The E-Class's controls came in for the most criticism, while the gearbox and transmission proved very reliable, and among the best in class. Owners were concerned about the cost of repairs, but fuel economy was strongly praised.

For comparison, some surprising comments on the BMW 5 series: -
11 BMW 5 Series
Rating
Overall ranking 54th
The 5 Series finishes behind all of its main rivals, and owners were unhappy with its reliability. Performance was rated as above average, while the car's interior and exterior were merely average.

High ownership costs and poor dealer service took the bloom off 5 Series ownership.

The full table: -

Attachments

• J.D. Power 2007.jpg
    J.D. Power 2007.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 249
JD Power

Are these surveys still based on three year old models?

Mike

They don't seem to have the rust problem, though

Well they did have and for the same reasons (environmental concerns and health and safety concerns leading to water-based paints replacing cellulose etc). It is only the clear lacquer that is really waterproof. So Mercedes went to full galvanising of all steel panels starting at end 2002 and BMW soon after. See this thread for details on Mercedes: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630

Last edited:
I like the 5-series - 520d (incredible value) and 535d (incredible pace) being my favourites.

My boss has one, and it to has had numerous electrical faults that remain unsolved following several dealer visits. Things like all the windows opening when you press the button for one, lock the car and the windows open, etc.

I think it's just the way things are with modern complex cars, and pressure to cut costs and maximise profits. The grass insn't always greener...

Don't like that at all.

Well I pick it up on saturday and will post my thoughts on it. I too wanted a 530d but could not find one with low enough miles in M Sport trim for the right price with a good spec so went for the 525d instead as it has full leather, sat nav, bluetooth etc and will be better on fuel than the 530d but still quicker than my 220cdi. It wont touch the Merc on fuel consumption though, i have averaged 47mpg over the last 45,000mls!

Will have to see how many problems I have with it.

Ive had 2 E61's

New model which came out in march is much better than the old one and is generally more polished.

I was lucky enough to have both an E61 530d and an E320 CDI estate at the same time on my driveway and driving them both back to back i perfered the 530d every time.

New 525d engine is a cracker , 3.0l 6cyl same as the 530 and 535 but just detuned. There is a test in autocar this month on the main rivals and the bmw came out on top.

For the same money as the 525d your only looking at a 220cdi and thats just not even remotely close :)

M sport pack is super, The body styling really sets the car apart so don't if you can afford it buy an SE. The revised Idrive system is great much improved and the favourites buttons really simplify it.

I had 8 beemers each one worse than the one before. Final straw was when driving away after a BMW service I heard strange noises, stopped and opened the bonnet and found half a toolkit the other half was spread along the 2 miles I had just driven. I packed up the tools and started to drive back to the dealer but still kept hearing a strange noise, stopped again and found the mechanic had failed to tighten up the exhaust manifold, there was about an inch of thread left between all the nuts and the manifold.

I can not fault the MB dealership for their work (so far).

gary

I sometimes wonder if we're over critical of our cars because of the dealer experience, I'm fortunate to live within one hour's drive of 6 MB dealers (from four seperate groups) and so if I don't like one, I'll use another. I had plenty of good Vauxhall ownership after deciding not to use dixons, and if you travel to a dealer they tend to be better in attitude towards you.

Sat down with my Merc dealer last week, told him was going for independant servicing and he's said he'll do his best to match the price in future, has the car in for two days next week to sort a steering problem (ongoing) and replace a damaged wheel (ouch). Always get polite and quick service and a loan car. If I didn't I'd go elsewhere.

I know some people wouldn't have the choice if it's 100 miles to the next dealer, but then I'd just go independant - I really like my W211, I like the E60 also but it was too much money for me, but I wouldn't let a crap dealer spoil my enjoyment of the car I want to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom