Defection? New Discovery 4 - VERY impressed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
So I was having a chat with the good lady about what car to replace the ML W163 with. She's a big fan of the new Freelander (I quite like, but think a facelift is due). Then an ad popped up for the new Disco 4 - very smart.

We stopped off today at our local Land Rover Dealer which was very busy! Sat in all the cars, and have to say, they were all nice places to be.

New Discovery 4 was superbly made - very comfortable - just loved it. hmmmmmm
:ban:

Last edited:
The Disco 4 is much better inside than it was. When first released, the plasticky interior put us off (similar with RR Sport).

Those tail lights look a bit iffy to me though.

Someone at work has just had a brown Disco 4. Not had chance to have a close look or talk to him yet though.

I think its a great car - infact I would prefer it to the Range Rover...

I went on LR half day test and have to say I was very impressed with the Freelander - and the Disco is a better car than that..but of course at a higher cost.

Disco 4 is very well sorted now, and they've done away with the old low grade interiors. Incredibly flexible vehicle. I quite like them, but Mrs PXW wouldn't touch one.

The only thing I don't like on the new disco is the string of christmas fairy lights around the headlamps...

A top spec one would be very expensive and then it would break down.

A top spec one would be very expensive and then it would break down.

Couple of former colleagues of mine have been running them for the last few months - no problems at all. Not a representative sample, granted, but when they first came out you'd have been lucky to find two people you knew who hadn't had problems....

JD Power now has LR as pretty much industry average for owner satisfaction.

Couple of former colleagues of mine have been running them for the last few months - no problems at all. Not a representative sample, granted, but when they first came out you'd have been lucky to find two people you knew who hadn't had problems....

JD Power now has LR as pretty much industry average for owner satisfaction.

They're probably not that bad anymore, my old Freelander didn't actually break down but it needed about half a gallon of coolant each month - got rid before the head gasket went.

LR dealers are sometimes shocking, I've walked into 3 in the last year to look at a Disco and not been troubled by a salesman yet!

Disco 4 with the new engines and trim are way way better than that of old so hard to compare results yet on any survey?

I like the look of them, but you have to get a desent spec as the insides can look quite plain. To get a good spec is probably quite expensive.

Have to say I walked past the merc garage yesterday and looked at the cars, Nice ML350 Blueefficency?? probably £45K and then on the second hand bit was a 56 plate ML320Cdi, 40K miles for £22K

Have to say for £22k it looked a lot of car and almost new with a private on it. Just think how much you will lose........on the £45K one :(

Maybe the criticism is the typical British knocking ourselves thing?

I have 2 French colleagues who both have had Disco 3's for a couple of years and rave about them.

Have to say I walked past the merc garage yesterday and looked at the cars, Nice ML350 Blueefficency?? probably £45K and then on the second hand bit was a 56 plate ML320Cdi, 40K miles for £22K

Have to say for £22k it looked a lot of car and almost new with a private on it. Just think how much you will lose........on the £45K one :(

If asked, I'm sure the dealer would say that the BliueEfficiency model would hold it's value better ;)

I really like the interior design of the Disco, but the exterior is too slab sided for my liking. Each to their own :)

Wouldn't it be nice to be offered this choice of colours on the new Mercs?

GS

Had a Disco 3 for a bit and it was fantastic. Broke down a couple of times, but not enough to put you off.

I too concur that there's something just a little more classy about the Disco than the RR.

The Disco 3 we had was a lovely car, the D4 seems to be a facelifted version with a newer engin, the inside is a very nice place to be The D3 is the only car (of many) that my wife recalls with fondness, she would like another Disco at some point.

I've got the RR Sport which is pretty much the same car underneath, it has the new 3.0 engine, very similar interior and even the same 'string of christmas fairy lights around the headlamps' as someone put it. They are fantastic cars and in 6000 I've not had any problems. Its very well equipped as standard too, when I looked into it to bring a ML or X5 up to the same spec would cost a fortune.

There is a revised X5 coming out very soon.

There was a demo of the Disco 4 at the Boat/Caravan show at the NEC today.

The facelift has really improved the interior. The tail lights do look iffy. A very nice car.

They were doing demos of the reverse assist with big screens hooked up so you see the same screen as the driver, selecting either front or sides or rear views. All sorts of options for reversing solo, reversing to hook up, etc where yellow lines are projected on the screen to show you where your wheels and towbar will be if you continue at the same steering angle.

Even more impressive once you've hooked up. You tell it about the thing you tow - number axles, length, weight, etc. and the yellow lines are then joined by purple lines to show where your trailer will go too. Incredible - lots of impressed spectators.

The demo car was £54k though. That's a lot for a Disco. With iffy tail lamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom