Defective stopper window SLK(R170)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Noggie

Car
CLK 230K & SLK 230K
On my 98 SLK LHD I suddenly got problems with the window on the passenger door. It would stop about 2-3mm too high. I adjusted it with the window switch. I was still able to get the roof up and down.
I got the door card off (with help of my mechanic) and found two small angle shaped metal pieces.
mini-IMG_1241.JPG
mini-IMG_1242.JPG
The angles are 26 x 17 x 2mm, and 30mm wide. They seemed to have been glued on the biggest part, one on the inside and one on the outside. The small hole on the smallest part are without threads.

It is very cramped inside the door and we did not find where these pieces should go.
I later talked with a friend who has fiddled around with the windows on his R107 and he said it was definately window stoppers. but he did not know anything more.

The mechanic that helped me has worked many years at the local MB workshop, but he did not know anything more neither.

At the moment I am a little scarce with my funds :( so I will not take it to the dealer without knowing what it will cost.
Most things get fixed by this mechanic I know, but here he doesn't know.

Now I cannot get the roof down neither, I had all the microswitches adjusted 2-3 years ago.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
Or can anybody tell if it will cost a lot or just an arm and a leg? ;)

Last edited:
I got part of the problem resolved by fitting a new side window at a car glass workshop. The metal angles are both glued at the front and lower corner of the side window on top of each other. They are the stoppers for the side window.
The culprit for the roof not going down seems to a be the (faulty) ABS sensor at the right rear wheel.

So, sitting waiting now at the dealer. I had a diagnosis done and was told it was the rear right ABS-sensor.
I cleaned the ABS-ring and when that didn't help I changed the sensor. That didn't help neither.
So I went to the dealer and told what I had done and asked about the diagnosis. They did a new diagnosis and it showed left side ABS-sensor. And then they checked the earlier diagnosis and said sorry we wrote wrong on the print-out you got last time. Because of that we will fix it for free.
Sounded great for me, and a little bit surprised. It is not the first fault, but certainly the first they admit.
So here I am sitting, been waiting 4 hours, read all newspapers 3 times.

However after they changed the sensor it is now OK!

Yes, fortunately :-D

Very good news, I am really happy! Thanks, Sp!ke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom