Defender VED?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
I have been using Carwow looking to some sort of SUV as the E isn't best suited having a boisterous Dog! 🤔

I chanced upon a Defender 2.0L Diesel, the VED is £845 a Year :eek:, I thought I was doing badly at £465 for the Mercedes, any idea as to why the Defender cost so much?:rolleyes:

Misprint ?

The highest band up to 2017 is - Over 255g/km which is £630 and i dont imagine the 2.0d engine would be that "dirty".

After 2017 it gets pricey , a vehicle with over 255g/km is £2245 for the first year.

Is it a new ish vehicle ?

K

Last edited:
I have been using Carwow looking to some sort of SUV as the E isn't best suited having a boisterous Dog! 🤔

I chanced upon a Defender 2.0L Diesel, the VED is £845 a Year :eek:, I thought I was doing badly at £465 for the Mercedes, any idea as to why the Defender cost so much?:rolleyes:
First year tax?

I am not talking about the current model. I’ve driven quite a few over the years and they certainly seem to have their loyal owners.
For me, they are cramped,uncomfortable, the handbrake digs in to your left leg, woeful heaters and questionable electrics.
The steering wheel bears no relation to wear the wheels are pointing it is incredibly vague. To keep them in a straight line it seems you need to keep the steering wheel constantly on the move.
Also they are sluggish unless you go for a petrol v8, but most don’t. I don’t know how tall you are but if you’re near 6ft or over you’ll struggle with the seat position.
But hey, try before you buy you might get on with one, plenty like them and LR certainly have a loyal followers but you wouldn’t want to drive one over any long distance. spares are wide available they pretty simple to work on.

The first time, just 18 months ago, that I drove a really smart high spec defender when a friend asked me to help sell his after he got a new shape one, I found the turning circle hilarious, within a few yards of pulling away from where he had it parked in his yard I found I needed to do a 3 point turn just to loop round this huge space to drive out ! Seriously the turning circle was absolutely huge !

Driven a few , can't understand the attraction , horrific drive , seriously uncomfortable and unrefined with pissed up ergonomics , might as well have a game of Twister .

Until the new model was launched they had not changed much since 1948. :)

Have a look at other cars from the same era.....

Have spent many years driving LRs and Defenders in Africa. If you want permanent back ache in later life drive one, horrendous.

They sure aren’t comfortable but I totally get the appeal. I would import an old Land Cruiser from Japan in preference though - see Joe Rogan’s apocalypse ready 80 series 🤩

So , OP we have determined that this is a brand new 2021 Defender..yes ? What do the folk over on the Landrover forums say about it ?

I don't want to look and find out, I am ultimately looking for a SUV, but all are either not available, not available to buy, but ARE available to Rent! 🤔

I went into a slightly "Mental Node" yesterday and filled in all the Details to get me a Wagon, all Accessories, came to £116,000+, more or less instant E Mail from Carwow, "Errr this is slightly Embarrassing, none to Factory Order, but plenty to Rent, not the highest spec, at ONLY between £1,261.00 and £1,499.00 per Month! :eek:

Maybe have to go visit my Local MB Dealership and see what the Score is!o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom