Define a professional...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had the form countersigned by a musician / singer - well known by many - as he happened to be at "Chez E" this weekend. As a chap with a 40+ year career in the music business it didn't even occur to me that there might be a problem.

He must be a drummer then - lowest of the low. There was a time, not too long ago, when drummers weren't even eligible for MU membership. Because drummers were not regarded as musicians. :devil: So no chance of counter-signing someone's passport!

He must be a drummer then - lowest of the low. There was a time, not too long ago, when drummers weren't even eligible for MU membership. Because drummers were not regarded as musicians. :devil: So no chance of counter-signing someone's passport!

On the contrary, I would have thought - if a drummer is not a musician then surely he can counter-sign... :D

A professional is someone who belongs to a professional body.

Eg a Lawyer, The Law Society
Accountant - Chartered Insitute of Accountants
Banker - Chartered Institute of Bankers Scotland (I am not one as I do not belong to this)

Nope, not according to the IPA.

You don't have to belong to a professional body to be a Travel Agent, for example. Same would apply to a director, charity trustee, or photographer. Although belonging to a union doesn't qualify you, being a union official does. :dk:

Having got said for signed and sent off, I then realised that the said musician (guitarist, not drummer...) could have signed as a director (as he does work though a limited company).

It's the vagueness of it all that gets me - the form and guidance also says that a person "of good standing in the community" can countersign. Said musician does great fundraising work for local charities and causes, but it counts for nothing.

I can see no valid reason for anyone on the list to be more trustworthy than any other person in the community.

Much easier to allow anyone not related to you, has known you for >2 years and holds a UK passport to countersign.

On the contrary, I would have thought - if a drummer is not a musician then surely he can counter-sign... :D

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

A drummer.

As the list includes journalist I would expect any revision to also include 'prisoner serving a sentence of more than 6 months'.

Abu Hamza would be qualified - and probably still is!

Personally I'd investigate any application for anything that carried his signature as referee...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom