Degenerating COMAND faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
I have a COMAND fault on an ’06 CLS55 where, in use, it occasionally does a sort of soft reboot (not fully back to the Mercedes logo like when you switch it on) and flicks back to a blank screen with lines before resuming the function it was in before in about 5 seconds. It breaks the audio on CD or Radio and can remove the map while you’re looking at a navigation instruction .. which is really annoying! Also, the TV function works perfectly some of the time, then goes into a black screen with a slight line-flicker and a repeating thunking noise.

Had it down in PCS and Olly was confident it was a common failure fault with COMAND where it degenerates over time to complete failure. Replacing with new is prohibitive at around £2.5k, but it seems the odd 2nd hand one comes up around £3-400 on eBay.

My question is whether or not there is anything at all I can ask or do to prevent getting another dud if I go along the 2nd hand market option. This surely must be some sort of engineering material failure if it gets progressively worse? Is there any repeatable test I can get a seller to perform? Alternatively, does anyone in the UK fix such faults (I found a US firm which sounded like it did) .. assuming it’s cost effective!?

Anyone have one for sale here after a head unit swapout or similar!? 

Really poor form with MB considering the price of the unit .. doesn’t seem like the type of failure that one should expect to be common. :doh:

I have the same issue and will be taking it to command.co.uk. Their details are on this forum. They can fix it as they have stated it. IMO you don't need a new unit.

Last edited:
Fixing it may involve replacing the head unit, but its not worth a brand new one (which will be a Meredes dealer's answer). comand.co.uk rarely repair units (we do occasionally where we have known good replaceable assemblies such as "the front panel") and we have a number of known good / soak-tested used units also, but we do recommend for repairs Maple Audio in Bath who have a reasonable amount of test harnesses for testing their repairs - we tend to remove units for customers and get them to send them to Maple.

10 years of life in the harsh vehicle environment (shaking about and massive temperature ranges) will cause COMAND units to fail - its electronics and because it has a big screen on one end you can't put it in a fully enclosed metal case and bury it away somewhere where it gets less stress or where you can get really good ventilation to it.

We see a number of failed hard-disks on newer units for instance (or completely failed retrofitted newer units where the retro-fitter didn't bother with the ventilation fans ....)

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, I've reached out to Maple to see if they are able to fix it, will report back :)

Gabor at www.headunitrepair.co.uk did a cracking job on the COMAND unit from one of our cars. The symptoms were very similar. When it finally failed it was drawing a current when switched off and ignition off, and so we had several flat batteries.

Maple won't say anything until they know the brand of the unit by taking it out of the car. Not a trivial option so not able to progress with them currently. Have asked HeadUnitRepair as well in case they are more willing to comment/quote without every fact up front.

You could always replace it with a chinese no-name clone from ebay.

Cost about £300 so worth a gamble.

Mine's been working for 2 years so far without problems.

I am on the verge of purchasing an Android replacement unit for my NTG2 head unit which also randomly switches off. Apparently it is most likely the phone module in the back of the car on the MOST optical loop. I could bypass it but there is too much temptation to buy an Android unit with so many more features.

Steve.

Thanks for the direction to Maple - the CD changer is playing up in my wife's S211 so I'll be sending it off to them.

OP - it's actually a pretty easy job to remove the Comand unit in 211s and 219s - the gear change lever surround pops upwards from the front edge, the ashtray thingy pulls out and two captive screws release the Comand unit - 10 minutes and a Torx screwdriver.

Last edited:
Richard - I guess this is essentially not worthwhile for your business as you'd only be stripping it out and sending it on. Question: the 6 disc changer doesn't work either (button does nothing, Star sees no button activation and cannot eject it itself from the Star console either) .. garage reckons the motor mechanism (a separate part to the changer I believe) is the likely culprit.

Does this make it more of a relevant and cost effective job for your business or am I better off just getting COMAND done myself and the garage to replace the motor while it's out?

Hey Stegel - yeah, I had a look at a video of it now. A little bit fiddly with cables depending on how short they are. I'm guessing breaking the fiber cable would be a costly mistake to strip out and replace!! That aside, with a bit of good luck it doesn't look too awful.

Also seems like the car would go back together without COMAND for a while with the changer holding the other stuff in place ...?

Interesting with the Android choices .. obviously non-standard is the downside, but like you say, light years ahead in functionality and features.

Any specific suggestions which have been successfully fitted "in that particular orifice"? So to speak ...!

Also seems like the car would go back together without COMAND for a while with the changer holding the other stuff in place ...?

My wife's car is a late model with the changer built into the Comand, so a little different to the separate changer set-up, but each part is held in separately so I don't see why one part could not be removed and the rest put back together temporarily.

Maple won't say anything until they know the brand of the unit by taking it out of the car. Not a trivial option so not able to progress with them currently. Have asked HeadUnitRepair as well in case they are more willing to comment/quote without every fact up front.

Headunitrepair quoted me how much it would cost to fix. Gabor replies to emails really quickly too. I was very impressed with the service.

Yep, Gabor replied quickly and late at night! Have a rough idea, so just need to find some time to get it out and down to him.

Update - took out COMAND and brought to Gabor. Lovely guy - really helpful and had a good look at it to the point of being close to certain the fault was with the TV module and not COMAND at all.

Didn't specifically ask to look at STAR output for TV module .. should it be producing errors to confirm? Only other way to confirm is to start isolating components. Not sure (especially in the dark!) how to get to the TV module yet .. looks like it's probably above the Nav DVD and audio controller in the boot, but the carpet sidewall's on pretty snug there and looks like it needs daylight and patience!!

Suggested from Gabor to remove optical cable from TV module and add a connector loop to complete the circuit and test for a few days. If good, replace module. If not, next .....

Gabor's service is top notch. Keep us posted

Well, yes, maybe, if you're replacing COMAND because it doesn't work. But if it's not COMAND, as appears to be the case, there's no much justification for it outright for my current problem :dk: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom