Delacquered (?) mirror - Ideas?

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
Hi folks

I am slowly working through improvements to my car. Fresh from fixing the outside temp display and the wood panels under the electric seat adjusters, my attention is moving on to the scrappy state of my o/s mirror.

I hope the picture makes clear the problem. Two questions - does anyone know of a fix, and if not, will a replacement described as black, match up on my blue-black car? I am not in a position to visit the breakers to look at a colour match.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Attachments

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Black won't match very well, but you could unscrew it from the car, rub it down to the colour coat, then spray with fresh lacquer.

GP801

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
Why not just get it painted. The paint guy I use charges £20 for a mirror.

OP
OP
J

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
Black won't match very well, but you could unscrew it from the car, rub it down to the colour coat, then spray with fresh lacquer.
I am a total novice with paint - do you know what I would use for lacquer? I have always treated paint as a job for the experts.

Jon

DSM10000

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
I am a total novice with paint - do you know what I would use for lacquer? I have always treated paint as a job for the experts.

Jon
Lacquer can be bought at Halfords etc in rattle cans.

As with all painting the perparation is the key to getting a good result so if you are going to do it take your time and be happy that the finish is good before spraying and do it in many thin coats to buid up a long lasting finish.

Car
W140 300SE, W202
Just get it stripped & painted.

The lacquer is coming off my bonnet...looks horrible, but the only fix is to strip & spray.
Anything else will only be temp fix.

GP801

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
£20 seems remarkably good value for any job. I don't have a "paint guy" but it looks like I need to find one.

Jon
He has done a lot of work for us over the years so charges me trade rates. £20 for a mirror. £80 for a bumper etc. The finish is always excellent. He is Bentley approved but from the look of his place you would not go anywhere near it. Just looks like an old farm outbuilding that is falling down.

OP
OP
J

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
Anyone have any reference on getting the mirror off?

If I hold the mirror back against the window against the spring I think I can see one deeply recessed screw. I can probably see more if I rig up a light at the right angle. Googling hasn't given me much on the "how to" front.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom