Delacquered (?) mirror - Ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
Hi folks

I am slowly working through improvements to my car. Fresh from fixing the outside temp display and the wood panels under the electric seat adjusters, my attention is moving on to the scrappy state of my o/s mirror.

I hope the picture makes clear the problem. Two questions - does anyone know of a fix, and if not, will a replacement described as black, match up on my blue-black car? I am not in a position to visit the breakers to look at a colour match.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_20130329_160521[1].jpg
    IMG_20130329_160521[1].jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 21
Black won't match very well, but you could unscrew it from the car, rub it down to the colour coat, then spray with fresh lacquer.

Why not just get it painted. The paint guy I use charges £20 for a mirror.

Black won't match very well, but you could unscrew it from the car, rub it down to the colour coat, then spray with fresh lacquer.

I am a total novice with paint - do you know what I would use for lacquer? I have always treated paint as a job for the experts.

Jon

I am a total novice with paint - do you know what I would use for lacquer? I have always treated paint as a job for the experts.

Jon

Lacquer can be bought at Halfords etc in rattle cans.

As with all painting the perparation is the key to getting a good result so if you are going to do it take your time and be happy that the finish is good before spraying and do it in many thin coats to buid up a long lasting finish.

Just get it stripped & painted.

The lacquer is coming off my bonnet...looks horrible, but the only fix is to strip & spray.
Anything else will only be temp fix.

£20 seems remarkably good value for any job. I don't have a "paint guy" but it looks like I need to find one.

Jon

He has done a lot of work for us over the years so charges me trade rates. £20 for a mirror. £80 for a bumper etc. The finish is always excellent. He is Bentley approved but from the look of his place you would not go anywhere near it. Just looks like an old farm outbuilding that is falling down.

Anyone have any reference on getting the mirror off?

If I hold the mirror back against the window against the spring I think I can see one deeply recessed screw. I can probably see more if I rig up a light at the right angle. Googling hasn't given me much on the "how to" front.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom