Delaminated window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mic1981

Car
2008 C220 CDI Sport
506AB757-60D7-4553-9AE9-9E1C0BAF4262.jpeg

Is this the beginning of the window becoming delaminated? If so, is this small amount worth worrying about?

This is all there is on the entire windscreen, and there doesn’t appear to be anything on any of the other windows.

If it does need replacing, I’d prefer to have it done by MB, but in this case my insurance will only pay £100 towards the cost as they’re not a preferred partner. Anyone know how much MB charge to replace a windscreen on an ‘08 C Class?

When i read the policy i have, the insurance let you pick if you dont want autoglass but its about another £100 extra, lots of write upps on here about things not working after autoglass do it and you have to take to MB to get it fixed :eek:

Yeah, if I’m gonna have to pay then I might as well pay a little more and have it done right. Just wondering if it’s something I need to get done right away, or if it’s not worth worrying just yet since it’s only a very small, isolated patch.

Our sons VW Polo has had a similar appearance for 10 years or more. It has progressed very, very slowly. I would just wait and see for now.

Is this the original MB glass? Or has it been replaced at some point (e.g. by a previous owner)?

I’d say that’s all starting from a small crack. Looks like it runs from the bottom of the screen to me

That's cracked and delaminating, about the same size as the one on my s class which has been like it since 2005. Don't lose sleep over it. :)

The other thing to think about is whether your local MB dealer would fit a new glass themselves or just palm the job off to the nearest autoglass and keep the profit?

@markjay I’m not sure. There’s isn’t anything in the documentation I have for the car regarding a new windscreen, but that’s not to say it hasn’t been done. Is there anything on the windscreen itself that would indicate it’s original/not original?

@ToeKnee Great point! I’m at my local MB dealer tomorrow afternoon for something unrelated so will ask the question.

Check if the windscreen has the Mercedes Benz logo and part number, usually on the lower side of the windscreen at the passenger side.

E.g.:

Screenshot-20210914-081434-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
@markjay The stamp says Pilkington and there isn’t a Mercedes logo, so I assume this means it’s already been changed at some point in its history?

@markjay The stamp says Pilkington and there isn’t a Mercedes logo, so I assume this means it’s already been changed at some point in its history?

Correct. Pilkington are one of the OE manufacturers for Mercedes Benz, the glass itself is top-notch and it is now no means an inferior product.

But the lack of the three-point star logo does suggest that this isn't the car's original windscreen, so I'm thinking maybe the glass fitter manage to damage the glass when fitting it, or perhaps it got a scratch or a nick during transport or storage, etc.

Mine's doing that in the bottom corners of both front and rear screens. No sign of cracking etc.

I wouldn't mind getting the front screen changed (it's still the original) as it's got a few chips but dread all the plastics etc being removed with the age of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom