Delay before accelerating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smiffo

Car
E250 CDI Sport
I have got aW212 E250 CDI Sport. This is my first ever diesel and first ever automatic. When I accelerate hard, there seems to be a 1-2 second delay before it decides to go. Is this normal? I though it had 2 turbos to eliminate this kind of thing?

A DERV will have a little delay in accelerating. What was your previous car?

Not 1 to 2 seconds though.

I think it's been discussed here and is something to do with the transmission disengaging to improve economy. The consensus is to set the box to S for quick getaways.

My old E320cdi goes immediately, only my reaction time will embarrass me at traffic lights, not the car.

Mine does the same :( but then it is a lowly 180K with auto gearbox

A DERV will have a little delay in accelerating. What was your previous car?

My last car was an S-Max with a 2.5 Petrol Turbo engine (the volvo T5 engine).

If you drive with the gearbox set in any other than S mode, there have been a few variations over the years :D, the car will normally try to pull away in second, the delay is when you need a bit more of a boot and the gearbox needs to drop to first gear. My S320 petrol does exactly what you have said, but, although it may seem like 1 or 2 seconds, it should be a lot less than that.

Agreed. On the 210 the settings are W and S. S is for standard (not sport as some think) and W is winter, which leaves out 1st gear.

I'm not sure what the settings are on the 212 but I would hazard that it also has a winter setting which leaves out 1st...don't use it except in difficult conditions.

My L200 auto has dreadful turbo lag. Sometimes if I need to get out of a junction quick I have to keep my left foot on the brake and the right on the gas to get the revs up a bit.

I think it is down to the auto tranny box. It seems to me that it shifts down with a delay. I tried it on my car, if I manage to accelerate without dropping a gear then it goes like a rocket (the 180K engine is quite good on the lightweight C-Class body - 143bhp for 1,430 Kg), but if I just press hard on the pedal then there is a noticeable 2-seconds delay until is shift down - very frustrating when trying to make it through yellow traffic light...

I keep the car in S anyway, the C mode is useless... and I don't drive like a joy-rider...

So perhaps it is an issue with the MB 5-speed auto tranny... and possibly the 7-speed box not have this problem?

I'm pretty sure the problem exists on the 7 speed box to a greater extend on the 350 CDI, not sure about it with other engines.

It's very noticeable on my S211 E320 cdi - 7Gtronic. In fact, I'm going to pop into the dealer next week to ask if there's any upgraded software for the transmission.

the w212 goes into C mode by default - might try to change that....

Everytime you turn on the car it is in C mode..

I was thinking of using Sprint Booster to see if it eliminates the delay, but having read a bit more about it, I think it won't help much.

the w212 goes into C mode by default - might try to change that....

Everytime you turn on the car it is in C mode..

Had that on some other cars (not MB) - very annoying.

Luckily my W203 stays where you put it - C or N :)

I have a w203 and usually keep it in C, would keeping it in S uses a lot more petrol?

i suffer from the lag too!

W212 is a blue efficiency set up. I know on the 7g box there is a decoupling device which essentially puts the car in "N" whilst stopped. Hit the go pedal and you have to wait for D to engage (even though you have it selected). This has caused V6 blue efficieny owners grief.

The 5speed box car may well have the same decoupling system to aid efficiency. Diesels are usually fast off the line due to the low down torque.

GordonTarling: I have no issues with mine, and yours is 4 years newer and should have had all the updates. No harm having it looked at, although maybe clearing the adaptations on star may have the desired effect.

Mine is a 2006, well before this BlueEfficiency nonsense... :)

And it still got the dead 2-sec before shiftdown :(

It does it in S-mode as well.

I might take it in to MB in Poole to see what they say.....

Smiffo
Are you talking about kick-down or just general accelerating?

With kick down I know some people said that adjusting the switch can help and as others have said are you in winter or standard mode?

Winter with kick down can give you a bit of a delay, especially if your switch isn't quite where it should be.

The switch is under the accelerator pedal for reference.

so you can adjust the kickdown? I'll have a look into that thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom