DELL - buyer beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
I'm absolutely fuming. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

My Dell 968 printer has just developed a problem, with the display showing an error message "Printer carrier stall - check inside for obstructions".

I have checked inside and there are no obstructions, and the error will not clear. Knowing what Dell support is like, I endeavoured to do everything possible to avoid having to call, but nothing I found made the slightest difference. In exasperation, I called their support line.

Eventually I was put through to their Indian call centre and the chap there said that this problem was a hardware failure and there was nothing they could do. The printer is scrap. The warranty expired in February 2010. Would I like to purchase a new printer from them? I think you can guess the response to that.

I had a Dell 962 before this, and it was trouble from the day it arrived. A replacement was sent out and this was no better. Eventually I insisted they do something about it, but it had been discontinued (I wonder why...?) but the 968 was the new version. They offered a deal by which I got the printer for free, if I bought a replacement cartridge package, which I reluctantly agreed to.

Now the 968 has failed, apparently terminally, and I have a nice unopened box of cartridges for it, which are sod all use to me now, and are no use in other Dell printers either. I told them I wanted refunding for the unused and useless cartridges they conned me into buying, but he refused.

So - they have lost me as a customer for good. I shall never purchase anything from them ever again. Which is a shame for them, because I have bought several desktops and laptops (and bloody printers) from them over the years, but what can you do? I can't persuade them that my custom is worth retaining.

Rant over.

If anyone knows anything about recovering from this problem, please would you let me know?

Also, if anyone has a use for £100-worth of Dell printer cartridges, then again, please let me know.

Finally, if anyone can recommend an all-in-one fax/scanner/printer that actually works, reliably, and has support which ranks above 'execrable' then I'm all ears.

Last edited:
I run a small business and we use an all in one copier/printer/fax, an HP Officejet. We've had it a couple of years, so far with no problems other than the low capacity paper storage, about 30 sheets at best. We use another printers for invoicing so the all in one is not hammered. We did try a Brother and had the same problem as you have had, we also have about £100 of useless ink cartridges. Maybe one day they will standardise or maybe we should convert the printers to continuous ink feed as most photographers do.

Sorry to read the news. All I can offer in sympathy is that the same happened to my all in one HP printer a while ago. So I looked on Ebay and bought the same printer second-hand with ink for ~£20.

Dabs also sell seonds stock at sometimes decent discounts. HTH

ps. sell your new ink cartrriges on Ebay

Buy a laser, they start around 170 for a decent HP colour job with network.

You will never, ever, go back to inkjet..

Thanks, chaps.

Will - I think I will have a gander at what's on offer (if anything) on ebay - at least if there is a cheap 968 available then I can potentially still use up these cartridges - if it lasts that long....

If not, then I'll try flogging them on there.

I'll have a look at what deals Tesco is doing. They're bound to have some deal or other going on!

I have a colour laser anyway, but it can't scan/fax/etc. This is the primary reason for having it. What sort of price do laser all-in-ones start at?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Buy an HP Scanjet scanner.

Do Not Ever Buy All In Ones.

They are the computer equivalent of the Amstrad music centre.

lol!

That's all very well, but I only have space (the top of a drawer unit) for one piece of equipment and I require scanning, faxing and the odd photo print.

How else do I get that into a 450mm x 450mm footprint?

I am NOT moving house over an issue such as this!

I recently bought an Epson SX215 from Aria (also check Ebuyer and Dabs) and am happy so far - have printed photos as well as "ordinary" stuff, am now using cheapie compatible cartridges off Ebay instead of expensive Epson's. Scan function is pretty good, gets up to 2400dpi I think! Bundled software is also good. Only cost about £75.

The dell units are made by someone else... its one of the other biggies, Epsom or HP i think.. I found this out when I went to buy ink,..

Epson do a excellent range of printer scanners and best of all you can get non genuine cartridges from e bay that print well and don't cost the earth.
I personally have a separate epson printer that I pay about 80p for each cartridge

If you have a case reference number, PM it to me (and your name and a contact number) and I will see if I can escalate this through our Dell Account Manager at work.

Andy.

Try ticking you requirements here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom