Dell discounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I know, I know, another laptop purchase thread!!

It looks like I'll be buying three laptops shortly, for Mother in Law's Christmas present, a fellow school Governor (she's paying), and moi as a Christmas present from the children, and likely to be as follows

MiL: Dell 15" 4GB Inspriron
Gov: Dell 15" 4GB Inspriron with MFD, MS Office, External HDD, case, etc
Moi: Dell 17" 4GB NEW Studio 17

Base price on the Insprion is £349 plus extras, and the Studio is £599 plus extras. If they do a stonking deal on the Inspiron though I could be tempted by the lower price.

Contacted Dell using their chat facility to ask for a discount, but told someone will call me back.

So what do you reckon I'll be able to blag by way of discount or freebies?

Anyone know any current Dell discount codes?

Anyone know of another supplier or manufacturer direct sales who could do a deal for that type of order?

I bought my wife's Inspiron 1710 (120 gig, 2 gig etc) for £399 at PC World last year - a better price than I could see on Dell's outlet site, never mind the new stuff! Worth a look.

As school governors you can access education discount (about 6%). There's also cash back (Quidco etc) if you complete online but NOT if a rep helps you.

Establish your Edu discount status first and then ask for a discount based on the bulk buy on top. Freebies might be mice, cases, possibly a warranty top-up.

I usually buy from the Outlet as the discount is around 30-40%....you can use Twitter or e-mail to make sure of the exact spec based on an Outlet ID (they no longer answer the phone!).

Get MS Office from software4students website using your Education status! (£52 for Enterprise 2007)

"Extras" at Dell are usually poor value unless on a special (when they screw the suppliers into giving a one-off good deal!).

I hadn't expected School Governor's to get a discount, so that's a bonus - thanks.

I take your point on extras, they sometime are a little more expensive. However as I'll be setting it all up for her as a favour, having it all delivered together, ready to unpack and connect is a bonus, and I'm hoping discounts should negate any price premiums.

I looked at the PCWorld website last night but couldn't see any obvious better deals than Dell direct. My neighbour bought a Dell Studio 17 from them in the summer for £440which I thought was great value, and it really was a lovely thing to hold and use.

That's why I fancy one myself - that and the backlit keyboard which will be handy when I'm using it in bed and Mrs D is asleep.

So what do you reckon I'll be able to blag by way of discount or freebies?

Anyone know any current Dell discount codes?

We normally just spec up the deals on the web and then save them. Then phone them and start talking. Three systems ordered to the same address is a no brainer to get the delivery chopped right down.

If you've spec'ed up the systems then there may be a bigger margin for them to play with.

And if you hit them right at the end of a quarter (ISTR end Jan, end Apr, end Jul, end Oct) they may be chasing turnover and can get very aggressive as long as the total spend is high.

Doh!! Missed the Qtr-end then.

I have been looking at Dell Inspiron 1545 - much cheaper and better spec at PC World - £499 gets 4mb ram 500gb HD intel duo core etc etc..on their website its 3mb ram and 320 gb HD for same price...

Just an observation (last night) may have changed today..:D

Just checked and it is now 4mb ram on dell website but a smaller HD but £20 cheaper.... One thing I do like about PC world is you can go touch and feel it......keyboards vary so much..

PCWorld

Dell Direct

Checked again and the RAM is lower ............weird...

Last edited:
I thought I was going mad. The spec and price seems to have changed to my eyes too but put it down to my poor memory!! Head, not PC. :D

Just an observation (last night) may have changed today..:D

Just checked and it is now 4mb ram on dell website but a smaller HD but £20 cheaper.... One thing I do like about PC world is you can go touch and feel it......keyboards vary so much..

PCWorld

Dell Direct

Checked again and the RAM is lower ............weird...

Just noticed they're different models - Inspiron versus 15Z

Hmmmm confusing ..:confused::confused:

I hadn't expected School Governor's to get a discount, so that's a bonus - thanks.

Sadly Dell said there is no educational discount, and despite the fact that they've probably called me more than 30 times in two weeks wouldn't offer me a discount. So I've dragged my feet until now - will probably order this week though.

Dell Higher and Further education sales team is on 01344 373716.

You should ask the school and local authority who their Dell rep is and not talk to the liars in the "offshore" sales team.

The 3% cashback is at all the main sites but only for online orders (i.e. a telephone rep can't help you).

dmxdimension website lists the current offer codes (which do work with cashback).

These discounts are usually dwarfed by the best Outlet deals - you need to set aside some time and grab one!

If u visit your local PC world, there may be some specials in the shop... I recently got a bargain on a laptop(150 off list)

Bought another DELL tonight, for me this time. Been watching the prices since well before Christmas, and this deal seems about the best for what I'm looking for.

I was tempted by a SONY we saw in John Lewis yesterday as it's a bit more stylish and our current SONY laptop has been with us almost 8 years, and served us very well. Everything else in the house is SONY too. :eek:

Having bought so many DELL laptops for friends and family I thought I ought to practice what I preach and went for this - seems great value for money - and well up to the job of browsing MBClub!!
  • Inspiron 1545
  • Intel® Celeron Dual Core T3100 (1.90 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache)
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
  • 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
  • 500GB HDD
  • Basic price £399 inc delivery and VAT
Extras: integrated bluetooth (£29), upgraded 6 cell battery (£10), and case (£13).

All in for £451. Will be here by Thursday, so must be pre-built.

• Inspiron 1545
  • Intel® Celeron Dual Core T3100 (1.90 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache)
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
  • 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
  • 500GB HDD
  • Basic price £399 inc delivery and VAT
Extras: integrated bluetooth (£29), upgraded 6 cell battery (£10), and case (£13).

All in for £451. Will be here by Thursday, so must be pre-built.

Actually arrived this morning. All set up and running, and typing away right now. Pleased so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom