Dell Inspiron - audio issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Hi, I have an Inspiron 6400 (vista business) and today re-installed vista to fix an annoying bug with the display.

It did fix it, but has created a new one - I now have an error icon bottom right, a graphic of a speaker with a red/white X against it. Message displayed says "No Audio Output Device is installed".

I have checked the system & device manager, no yellow icons. I've reinstalled all drivers, including Dell originals and new ones from Dell, I've installed a fix from MS, I've disabled the Modem as that can cause issues (apparently) but I'm still showing a problem....

Any thoughts gratefully received

Do you have the Audigy or the Sigma STAC audio option?
If you're not sure what is the Service Tag code?

Your problem is vista - I sympathise.

Installed SP1 yet? Worth a try...

Last edited:
It's the Sigma HD audio

vista, vista, vista :mad:

Haven't tried SP1 as yet, it doesn't come up on windows update for this Dell (assume that's because it's a Dell).

I rooted around last night and when disabling the sound and reinstalling the drivers locally (not via web) there are 2 drivers listed - a Sigma and windows version. I shall try removing both these drivers today and seeing how windows fairs on reboot.

Annoying thing about vista is the incessant reinstallation of any hardware it finds on reboot, despite it being uninstalled intentionally. Can it not just ask before installing drivers, rather than going ahead :crazy:

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence out there about BIOS upgrades solving problems for this machine so it might be worth checking to see if you have the latest vista compatible BIOS installed. The other thing to do is to check with the manufacturer of the sound chip for their latest driver rather than Dell altho dell are usually quite good for updating their drivers.
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&cat=sup&k=Inspiron+E1505&x=4&y=6

Last edited:
SP1 does appear on Windows Update. I get notification of this, ignore it, get other updates, then the SP1 update request comes through again a bit later on...

you might want to get the audio drivers from the sigma website, had similar issue with a dell and only way to fix was to source drivers elsewhere.

You should be able to fix this by deleting both the entries in Device Manager, then rebooting, let Vista do its annoying "I know what's best for you" two-step and reinstall. Then go to the Sigma driver and click 'Update Driver'. This should give you a dialogue offering two versions: Sigma and HiDef. Select HiDef and if the correct Dell Vista32 driver is onboard you should be there.

If all else fails..

I had my onboard audio pack in (one channel failed), ended up buying a no name audio card for just £6.00 (checked it was Vista ready).

This would be a last resort, but worth keeping as an option.

Mike

You should be able to fix this by deleting both the entries in Device Manager, then rebooting, let Vista do its annoying "I know what's best for you" two-step and reinstall. Then go to the Sigma driver and click 'Update Driver'. This should give you a dialogue offering two versions: Sigma and HiDef. Select HiDef and if the correct Dell Vista32 driver is onboard you should be there.

That did the trick, all fixed thanks :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom