Dell laptop - what's it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MOD hard drives are used in runways!!

I thought any sensitive info on government computers were disposed of by leaving them on train seats?

Last edited:
i guess i should have mentioned i F disk em before repartioning, i think its still pretty safe for most people, no one is gonna try to hard to retrive a normal persons data.

6400s were great machines - I bought three when they were new, got one heck of a discount on them even then. Sold two of them in the last year - first one for £500, the second for £300.

Right now I'd give you trade price of £100 for it, DBAN or MHDD it (secure erase the hard drive), do a clean installation of Windows and stick it on eBay with a £300 sticker.

Just because you can buy laptops for £300 brand new doesn't mean they're any good. I'd much rather have a slightly older laptop that was the top of its range than some new cheap heap of junk that I wouldn't expect to last a day outside of its warranty.

Regarding erasing data; I used to work for one of the UK's leading data recovery firms and unless you're willing to invest a significant amount of time and money in both hardware and software, you won't get data back from a drive that's been erased with either DBAN or MHDD.

i think its still pretty safe for most people, no one is gonna try to hard to retrive a normal persons data.

There was a group of students (and there still is a group of security experts I believe) that buy "dead" and secondhand hard drives on eBay and other areas with the intention of seeing what data they can retrieve.

Weren't the statistics 1 in 3 trash cans get rumaged through?

M.

Regarding erasing data; I used to work for one of the UK's leading data recovery firms and unless you're willing to invest a significant amount of time and money in both hardware and software, you won't get data back from a drive that's been erased with either DBAN or MHDD.

I've always used Eraser. I wiped the directory 35 times and the rest 3 times before selling them on. Is that enough?

i bet i could still get data back from charred platters ;)

Only way to be sure no one will be able to get any data is to either keep it in a safe for ever and ever and ever or cut it up into tiny pieces and sprinkle it over a large area.

I did not mean charring the disc as in a fire, I meant melting the whole drive into a solid blob. I don't think you could retrieve any data easily from it then.;)

MOD hard drives are used in runways!!

Depends on the classification of data the drive held.

Disassembly, degaussing and dipping the platters in a suitable acid is used if the classification isn't too high.

What happens with the really secret squirrel stuff, I don't know, and I don't want to know, maybe it really does end up in runways!

i bet i could still get data back from charred platters ;)

You are right. A friend of mine worked for DEC (Digital Equipment) when the Open University had a severe fire at their Millton Keynes headquarters. He and his team had one shot at the admissions data on a RA60 600GB platter (I used to sell them at £15K!!:eek: ) rescued from the centre of the fire. Forget the exact figures but I know that they managed to recover well over 50% of the data before the disk collapsed. We are talking a severly damange disk drive here!

I would guess around £75 to £100

They are so cheap new now £300 gets you a good usable laptop.

Hard drives formatted I'm sure we use a program such as Kill Disk and it runs over the drive up to 20 times.

At work we are able to recoer most peoples data even after normal formats etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom