dell wifi 3com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denise

Hi all!

i have a Dell laptop with a wifi card built in and am having problems with getting online with my 3Com Wireless router. thing is on the bottom right hand corner of the screen it shows the comp icon attempting to connect and the signal strength reads excellent but as it is connecting it kinda stalls at the acquirng network address stage and an error message is displayed. The strange thing it a) makes no differnce if im 10cm , 10 meters away or even 50 meters away from the router. and b) 1/7 attempts it does actually connect and i can go on the intrenet etc 10cm/10m/or 50 meters away!

Denise,

You could try the typical Microsoft approach to such problems by restarting, but another option is to get the pc to refresh its network address by:
Assuming Windows XP

Go to Start Menu, Run
type "cmd"
on the screen that appears, type
"ipconfig /all" - to display the connection information (IP address etc)
"ipconfig /renew" - This will attempt to renew the network connection.

you can type exit or just close the window when you are done.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Sparky.

have you tried it with no encryption, etc ? (just for testing) - What hardware/software on the Dell ?

Ps - you might want to move this to the PC section.....

WLeg said:
have you tried it with no encryption, etc ? (just for testing) - What hardware/software on the Dell ?

Ps - you might want to move this to the PC section.....

I have the same problem with my laptop (Belkin Wi-Fi card), and it goes away when I turn encryption off. I do one of two things, either:

Right-click on the network connection in system tray (near clock), and select 'Repair'; or
Right-click on 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in system tray (near clock), and select the Wi-Fi connection.

Works for me. Pain in the bum though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom