DeLoreans to be built again next year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
300 of Doc Brown's time-travelling gull-wing DMC-12s may be built for sale in 2017 (The Register)

DeLorean Motors has announced that it hopes to resume construction of the DMC-12 sports car made famous by 1985 flick Back to the Future.

In the film and its two sequels, the car houses a time machine that operated when the stainless-steel-mobile hits 88 miles per hour. The DeLorean was chosen for the role because it looked amazingly cool in 1985, although its 2,849 cc engine and 0-60 speed of 8.8 seconds meant it was a poor choice for a car supposedly possessed of the amazing acceleration required to achieve time travel on suburban streets (early-1980s Ferraris, for example, had it covered)

Never liked them myself. Don't know why, they just didn't appeal.

They are heaps of badly put together junk. Saw 3 or 4 at the classic car show and not one had the same construction methods. Panel gaps all over the place and nothing looked straight on them. Dustbins with wheels basically.

The irony is that John Delorean when at GM was the one that canned the Corvair precisely because it was rear engined.

Not sure how i feel about this. I love the original concept but not sure it hold water today

I always thought it looked like an Esprit. I believe it was quite an achievement to press stainless panels considering that cad/cam wasn't nearly as advanced as it is today or indeed the choice of alloys.I worked in 'body in white' for four years and to make a car body and finish it without painting is quite an achievement. Reworking is not an option in the same way as painted body's can be. Believe me, when you see some of the 'run out' cars being made before a new model comes in a lot of panels get used to clear the stock that were reworked after damage.

Just peddling movie merch to the uber fans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom