DELPHI fully synthetic oil any good for Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t-dawg1

Car
Mercedes W211
Hie guys I've just seen Delphi Fully synthetic oil in the MISTER-AUTO website where I usually buy my car accessories etc. it's says it meets and exceeds the merc requirement 229.51 etc. question is has anyone ever used it and what are your thoughts on it as I've never heard of it but priced very competitively on there?

Google 'mb sheet 229.51' and see if its on the spec sheet!!!!!!

What car?

229.51 is extended life oil for diesels with particulate filter. Unfortunately, that means it's not really a diesel oil, but it'll have to do due to the particulate filter needing low ash.

What car?

229.51 is extended life oil for diesels with particulate filter. Unfortunately, that means it's not really a diesel oil, but it'll have to do due to the particulate filter needing low ash.

And short journeys with it will eventually kill your engine!

They do both Delphi for diesels with Particulate filter and those without aswell. It's for my 2007 E280 without DPF. The one for the ones DPF is also listed and even cheaper £26.84 for 5L

You can use proper diesel oil. The MB spec is 229.3 or 229.5, which isn't proper diesel oil.

Spec can be a bit of a misnomer as it depends on whether the oil manufacturer has paid to have the accreditation.

Dieselman said:
You can use proper diesel oil. The MB spec is 229.3 or 229.5, which isn't proper diesel oil. Spec can be a bit of a misnomer as it depends on whether the oil manufacturer has paid to have the accreditation.

You are confusing me Sir please explain more?

The Mercedes spec oils 229.* are not proper diesel specific oils, they are multi-use oils, so don't control pollutants as well.

A diesel specific oil has better acid control, but can't be used in engines with DPF due to the ash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom