demise of the R Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
perhaps the most absurd vehicle ever built.....

Not sure about that - perhaps it was absurd offering it for sale in Europe?

It's a US designed and built car - where crossovers are pretty popular. R Class's problem (aknowledged by MB) is they aimed it at the wrong demographic. They pitched it at "empty nesters" but the main market for such vehicles is "soccer moms" - and they're looking at vehicles that are $15-$20K less.

Take a look at cars like Buick Enclave - Buick couldn't build it fast enough.

I have read this thread with interest. I am one of the (perhaps rare) people who actually love the blending on form and function of the R series. I have had Volvo XC90 (JUNK), Discos, various others. I need 7 seats (7 SAFE seats for large children), i need 4x4 for launching a boat trailer occasionally (and perhaps a bit of gentle off roading for shooting on fields), and as much refinement and fuel economy as possible. From all my days of research, the R320CDI seems to be like by far the best combination of all of them. Ignoring manufacturer MPG figures (always wise to do, but especially on the Merc range) I have found hundreds of real owner reviews, not people selling their car (like the guy on Ebay who just told me his Q7 can get 40mpg on a run, hahah, yeah, ok mate I believe ya! ;-) ) and the R320 seems to range from 32-39 MPG on a motorway run, with hardly anyone reporting less than 22-24 around town. For such an enormous car, 4 wheel drive, and incredibly safe, spacious and luxurious 7 seating capacity, I find that pretty damn remarkable. More to the point, far ahead of any competition.

I looked at the GL320 but the fuel economy is significantly worse on those and I don't need such a brick nor the extra ride height which just eats air and MPG. So for me, I am 99% convinced on buying an R320, around the 2008 age range. If anyone has any useful advice for me, experience of owning one, and above all knowledge of real world MPG figures, I would be really grateful. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom