demise of the R Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where are the other R class owners leaping to it's defence?

Just as you wouldn't use an ML as a taxi and you wouldn't use an A class as a limo, the R has a specific category of it own, albeit a unique one.

As for the comparison to the A class, whether it has more or less legroom is neither here nor there. If you think an A class is better for you, then good for you, I hope you are very happy with it - but they are hardly comparible cars.

The A class is not better for me as I have two dogs. But having a driving position with inadequate legroom is just not an option. If the legroom suits you it is a good large estate car (now in latest guise) with a 4x4 option and may be fine for you.

All I'm saying is, that it is big enough that they could have got enough front legroom for those who, like me, need it. They could easily have made the seat so that it did not swing forward (and reduce legroom) when you raise it. Then I would probably have bought one. And if they put right these fairly simple to improve issues -and had the sense to relaunch and market it so people know it exists and is now a large estate, then it might sell. OK it is dear, but so are all Mercedes. It would also help IMO if they got the mpg up and the emissions down.

Last edited:
The seat on my E class moves forward as you raise it, but you can then move it back at the raised position. Can't you do this on the R?

Yes, back, forward, up, down

I'm with you Tim - I think they're great. Autocar - a magazine who's opinion I regard highly - actually rate the R-Class highly too.

It's a shame that some people knock it because it's not their preferred choice. It's a niche car, and therefore has a niche audience, and it seems like it's been designed for people like you, and possibly me. A proper marmite car which polarises opinion.

Some cars take a while to catch on. The Espace was weird for a while. It took ten or fifteen years, but ended up influencing the design of the common hatchback.

I remember having bought my then other half one of the first Ford Ka on the road. Believe it or not, that car taught me a lot about people. The number of people who exclaimed verbally that it was ugly, awful, ugly, engine-out-of-a-Ford-Pop, ugly, never-catch-on, and did I mention ugly - even neighbours.

Ten years on, I think I can say with the benefit of hindsight, that they were wrong. ;)

The seat on my E class moves forward as you raise it, but you can then move it back at the raised position. Can't you do this on the R?
Yes but not far enough back for the long legged. Less legroom than E class, C class, B class or A class. That is because they needed the space for the third row of seats.

I like the whole idea of a sort of S class estate (which the R has nearly become) and like it being higher to give more stowage, higher driving position etc and the option of 4wd. And the engines are lovely especially the 320cdi as used in other models. Just the details I mentioned that need putting right IMO plus some proper marketing. But it won't happen. They appear to me to have given up on it and to be just running it out. Shame it could have been the ideal family estate, dog owners chariot, great for towing caravans and boats, good for so many hobbies. And for some it offers that now. But not for me. I need the extra legroom of the E class and like the better fuel economy too.

Last edited:
Yes but not far enough back for the long legged. Less legroom than E class, C class, B class or A class. That is because they needed the space for the third row of seats.

I've got to wonder just how loooonnng your legs are!

My R-Class (5 seater) has acres of space and plenty of legroom (as I said in an earlier post, enough for a 6' 11" colleague...).

For me it is a perfect niche car...and I enjoy its rarity :)

I've got to wonder just how loooonnng your legs are!

My R-Class (5 seater) has acres of space and plenty of legroom (as I said in an earlier post, enough for a 6' 11" colleague...).

For me it is a perfect niche car...and I enjoy its rarity :)

I wear a standard M and S trouser size. In the A, B, C, E and S class if I raise the seat to the high position I like and then put the seat right back I cannot reach the pedals properly. So most MBs have plenty of legroom for me. And in none of them do I need the seat fully back. In the R class SWB that is not so. I need it fully back (plus ideally another inch or so).

It is just a fact that the front legroom is less than most MBs. That was done to get the third row of seats in. But now it is an estate that could be put right.

If it fits you, fine. Lucky for some.

BTW according to MB Press releases the LWB has the same legroom in the front but more in the middle and more in the boot. I haven't tried it so cannot confirm but it is in any case longer than I would want in the UK.

BTW according to MB Press releases the LWB has the same legroom in the front but more in the middle and more in the boot. I haven't tried it so cannot confirm but it is in any case longer than I would want in the UK.

This is true - the LWB model has more in the middle and back and book sections. Not in the front though.

Reliability of R-class?

I'm reawakening a thread!

I've just been re-reading this thread as I am considering an R-class when I get ready to switch our Grand Espace in the new year.

We have four kids, and although we have a seven-seat Espace we only ever have six of the seats in it, the middle 2nd row seat residing in the dining room. We do this because it gives you a much more airy cabin and allows the kids to walk through it. Not everyone is seeking the usual 2-3-2 seating arrangement.

Hence the appeal of the R-class now that second-hand examples are coming into our financial reach.

We often have all six seats filled, plus using most of the available boot space regularly.

For our use, I've really narrowed it down to another Grand Espace, a Grand Voyager or an R-Class. To be honest, I would not be upset with another Espace, it has been a fabulous car once it got over its first year of reliability issues in our hands (since taking out an extended warranty only a couple of minor issues in the last two years - typical!).

Having often driven the Grand Voyager as a rental in the USA it would be a step-down from the Espace. It always surprises me when I return to Blighty at how refined and smooth it is to drive after a fortnight in the Voyager, though the Chrysler does have buckets of space.

Or the R-class, which is very tempting for our situation. If we go that route, I'd probably hang on to it for a good number of years. Any feeling yet on the longer-term reliability of the R-class?

you may want take a look at the GRAND VOYAGER's safety ratings on the Euro NCAP site.------not good! :eek: Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Chrysler Voyager The R class has an improving/good safety record with US safety tests:thumb: but has yet to be tested by EURO NCAP. Its manufactured in the the states in the same plant as the M class 4x4---- Tuscaloosa, Alabama and there have been some quality issues in the past with cars from this plant. :doh: However the R class shares many proven components with other Mercedes models so I would expect reliability to be on par with these.:) Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I've just been re-reading this thread as I am considering an R-class when I get ready to switch our Grand Espace in the new year.

I was quite interested in the idea of R Class but have lost track of it a bit. I thought there was a facelift due about now but saw this article the other day Mercedes R-Class | Spy Shots | News | Auto Express

If the timing mentioned is accurate then you might be able to get a great deal on the current R Class, or you might want to wait and get the facelifted one.

If the article is right and it gets a 4 cylinder diesel it'll sell, needs to be price right though.

Viano makes more sense as a family car.

Thanks for the comments.

Grober, I've seen that NCAP result. It is for the older Voyager, but it still makes me wince when I think how many thousands of miles I have done in one of those models in the USA in the past. The newer model is, I believe, a whole lot safer, but IMHO if the styling of the R-class is questionable then the newer Grand Voyager is awful and completely devoid of any imagination or appeal. This, and the cheapness of the build when you consider the price, are what puts me off it in comparison to the Merc or another Espace.

Not sure I could cope with a Viano - just too boxy...! though the space sure would be useful on occasions.

As I will be looking for a used R-class, if this is the route I'm going to take, Rory, any price drop would be great! Roll on a new model!

What surpised me was the similarity between the R Class and the Chrysler Pacifica. I think I read somewhere they're related. I saw both cars in Kensington the other day and the likeness was striking! See the Wiki images below...

pacr.jpg

R-Class

Hi,

I have an R320cdi LWB and have been very happy with it. Brought it as ex-demonstrator from dealer. Only one small issue when the handbreak wire nipple became detached and I pulled the lever out of the dash!

Luckly I had a pair of needle nose pliars to grab the wire and pull, other than that it has been excellent. My wife has an A200cdi and to be honest the two are not comparable. Relatively the comfort in the back on the A-Class just does not compare in space, ride etc.

We generally use the R for long journeys as our family is distributed around the UK. Tyres seem to last circa 8,000 miles, and I get roughly 30mpg on a long run.

My Parents have an Espace Initial, 2.2CDI, which i have also driven. The Espace feels much more like a van, with a more pronouced sit up and beg driving position. On the other hand it feel much more light and airy than the r class, although this may be to do with having the glass sunroofs.

You can certainly carry more in the Espace, as the rear is much more box like, and the roof to boot floor heigh it probably 30-40% greater. The espace also feel like it has much more body roll than the R. You would need to check if you would have enough lugage space in the R Class as well when all the seats are up.

I would buy an R again, although not at full price!

Rob.

I've got a GL which, I think, has much running gear in common with an R class.

I got about 20k out of a set of tyres. Can't be precise as I change tyres in the winter so one set isn't on from new to worn out.

Hope 8k is a typo!

When I brought the car with 13,000 miles it had pirelli's, which I do not think are the std fitment (Mitchelin?). These needed to be replaced at 16,000 so I assumed that it has had two sets of tyres in this time, hence not a typo! Rob.

It's quite possible the car came with Pirelli's from new.

perhaps the most absurd vehicle ever built.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom