'Dent' is space-saver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
Had a look today at my Space Saver, and spotted a strange 'dent' - on both sides. The wheel and tyre have never been used. Is this normal, or is it some sort of deformation that occurred while the tyre was stored in the boot?

This may help:

Last edited:
Probably. Does it coincide with anything where it lies?

Probably. Does it coincide with anything where it lies?

Nothing obvious. Strange thing is that it has the same dent on both sides of the wheel?

Doubt it, I don't think his car had the folding option.

Doubt it, I don't think his car had the folding option.

My car is the most basic C180k on the planet.... in fact I suspect that MB don't actually make them that basic - they probably had to remove some bits after it came off the production line to achieve this (low) spec level.... I have seen wheelbarrows with more options. If it's 'optional' , I ain't got it! :mad:

No, can't be that basic...they left the Kompressor on.

Sometimes I think they only left the badge at the back....

OK - a couple of more sensible suggestions from me:

1. Has the spare always been in your car? Or could it have come from a car where the spare is strapped down rather than bolted down?

Or

2. Is there a sound-deadening pad (or something else) under the spare wheel well carpet panel causing an edge to present itself? The assumption there is that the upper face of the wheel in your photo is actually the lower face when stowed.

Also - is it properly inflated?

Last edited:
On both sides? does that mean a dent in the opposing side wall of the tyre in the same position circumference wise? If so it looks like a tyre defect/damage.g. imagine hitting a kerb/pothole with the space saver on the car temporarily. These tyres have very strict speed restrictions which I bet not everyone sticks to?
ps I have seen dents like this as Corned says but usually where the spare is compressed against something e.g. in these horrible "under boot "spare wheel carrier frames

Last edited:
Yes, that's a mystery. Wheel has never been used (as can be seen), is the car's original spare, has nothing pressing against it, and the dent is on both sides... it has been under-inflated for a long while, around 40 psi, I just recently topped it up properly to 61 psi.

It certainly looks as if its never been used in anger. Having said that I reckon its defective. These tyres are barely adequate at the best of times so if you ever intend using it in the event of a flat I would get it changed for one with no question marks against it. Better still get a proper full size spare if it will fit.

Its probably there by design to introduce a horrible noise if you drive over the 50mph speed rating. (pesky germans think of everything)

My car is the most basic C180k on the planet.... in fact I suspect that MB don't actually make them that basic - they probably had to remove some bits after it came off the production line to achieve this (low) spec level.... I have seen wheelbarrows with more options. If it's 'optional' , I ain't got it! :mad:

I just read this and nearly wet myself..
Genuinely funny !:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom