Dentist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK guys, glad to hear I'm not alone - but I've been lucky as I was put onto a service I did not know existed - thanks to an NHS maxillofacial consultant who happens to be my wife's private dentist (but that's another long story).

There's another system called the NHS Community Dental Service for folk like me that have severe problems with dentistry (as well as those who cannot leave home, those in detention etc,.). Basically I not only have severe dental phobia, but also a severe gag reflex that means that for a dentist to do anything other than a very gentle basic inspection, I have to be given deep sedation - and even then the gag reflex still occurs. It's been absolutely fantastic, and as a result I'm more than happy to re-visit the young lady dentist who has extracted teeth, taken impressions, fitted me with small dentures etc - and all at NHS prices. OK, I have a 45-60 minute drive to get to her, and if she's going to sedate me I have to have Cora with me to drive me home (and apparently when I come out of the treatment room I'm "amusing" as the sedative works off) but I'll happily go visit her - and will be doing so again in March.

OK, there are private dentists nearby where you can also have a private anaesthatist to knock you out, but it costs - just the anaesthatist is about twice the maximum I pay for the NHS treatment (about £250). It's probably quicker going private, but OUCH for the cost!! (Cora had lower jaw implants plus new upper and lower full dentures, and the cost got close to 5 figures!)

Google NHS Community Dental Service for your area then ask your GP fo a referral!!

(Cora had lower jaw implants plus new upper and lower full dentures, and the cost got close to 5 figures!)

Google NHS Community Dental Service for your area then ask your GP fo a referral!!
Bloody hell, I’m hoping that a couple of fillings and a bit of a polish will be all I need.

I’m ok now but as a child, had a dentist who was in the Polish resistance during WW2, had been interrogated after capture.

His bedside manner consisted of him booming PAIN, YOU DONT KNOW THE MEANING OF PAIN, whilst wiggling fingers in your face…-pliers hadn’t improved the look of them! :eek:

He wasn’t our dentist for long, scared the bejesus out of us 🤪

OK guys, glad to hear I'm not alone - but I've been lucky as I was put onto a service I did not know existed - thanks to an NHS maxillofacial consultant who happens to be my wife's private dentist (but that's another long story).

There's another system called the NHS Community Dental Service for folk like me that have severe problems with dentistry (as well as those who cannot leave home, those in detention etc,.). Basically I not only have severe dental phobia, but also a severe gag reflex that means that for a dentist to do anything other than a very gentle basic inspection, I have to be given deep sedation - and even then the gag reflex still occurs. It's been absolutely fantastic, and as a result I'm more than happy to re-visit the young lady dentist who has extracted teeth, taken impressions, fitted me with small dentures etc - and all at NHS prices. OK, I have a 45-60 minute drive to get to her, and if she's going to sedate me I have to have Cora with me to drive me home (and apparently when I come out of the treatment room I'm "amusing" as the sedative works off) but I'll happily go visit her - and will be doing so again in March.

OK, there are private dentists nearby where you can also have a private anaesthatist to knock you out, but it costs - just the anaesthatist is about twice the maximum I pay for the NHS treatment (about £250). It's probably quicker going private, but OUCH for the cost!! (Cora had lower jaw implants plus new upper and lower full dentures, and the cost got close to 5 figures!)

Gag reflex is another story. My ambition has always been to scuba dive. Unfortunately the mouthpiece of the apparatus triggers a violent gag reflex so that was scuppered. The same occurs when the dentist takes impressions with that pink gunk, not a pretty sight!

I went to the dentist and you know how their chairs go up & down? Well this one was going backwards and forwards.

The dentist said to me “please get out of my filing cabinet”.

Gag reflex is another story. My ambition has always been to scuba dive. Unfortunately the mouthpiece of the apparatus triggers a violent gag reflex so that was scuppered. The same occurs when the dentist takes impressions with that pink gunk, not a pretty sight!
I know that issue well. My gag reflex is so bad I even have problems flossing my teeth.
And carrying out a Lateral Flow Test is just a farce🤮

Reactions: JHS
I actually like going to the dentist. Used to always get a freeze before a filling. A few years ago my dentist who was very good suggested trying it without a freeze. He said I would not feel a thing until the last second when he hit the nerve I think. I thought it was worth a try, anything's better than that drooling feeling when the freeze is wearing off. Ok lets try it, right enough no pain when drilling, then oh ya for a millisecond & he said that's it. Just that sharp instant pain. I thought that was nothing to worry about. Even persuaded my wife to do that when she had to get a filling. She hates the dentist but came home saying it was good

How did you find an NHS dentist? I also don't like dentists and haven't visited one for a long long time. Unfortunately one of my teeth with rather a large filling decided to collapse and just leave a small stump, the tooth behind, which was one of those white fillings also snapped off and I was forced to the dentist after suffering from an abscess on one of the stumps. Could only go private £65 and had both removed at my local NHS dental hospitals because the dentist didn't do tooth extraction. Yet another tooth broke 5 months later and another £65 for a filling. Told me I would probably need a crown £500 I'll wait

How did you find an NHS dentist? I also don't like dentists and haven't visited one for a long long time. Unfortunately one of my teeth with rather a large filling decided to collapse and just leave a small stump, the tooth behind, which was one of those white fillings also snapped off and I was forced to the dentist after suffering from an abscess on one of the stumps. Could only go private £65 and had both removed at my local NHS dental hospitals because the dentist didn't do tooth extraction. Yet another tooth broke 5 months later and another £65 for a filling. Told me I would probably need a crown £500 I'll wait
I went onto an NHS site that gave me all the dentists in my area. Out of about 30 there were only 3 or 4 that were taking patients and once I phoned them it ended up as only 1.

Pal of mine phoned 111 and went to Guys for treatment.

The OP is lucky to have found an NHS dentist.
I had a great NHS dentist for 25 years when I lived in Barnsley.
Having moved back to Leeds 5 years ago ... Trying to get an NHS dentist ... It's like pulling teeth !

"They even numb your gum with paste so you can’t even feel the needle going in."
oh yes you can....

if its a male dentist grab hold of his "man bits" and look him straight in the eye and say "we aren't going to hurt each other now are we ???"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I hope the dentist you are going to is a good one there are loads that are not,never be afraid to say thanks but no thanks.

I remember having 7 teeth taken out of my mouth aged 8 because my teeth were much bigger than the available space. Bad teeth run in my family. Rather than blowing '000's on remedial work, I simply let them go to pot. At some point, I'll get the remaining ones removed entirely and get some titanium gnashers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom