Dentist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After years of not finding a NHS dentist I liked, since my referral to the Community Dental Service and a lovely Kenyan lady of Indian heritage, I love my dentist! To do anything even slightly serious (like impressions for dentures, let alone extractions or fillings) she puts a canula into my arm up by the elbow, says night night and the next thing I know is up to an hour later, job done and me not having any memory of what she's been doing! Also apparently quite amusing as the anaesthetic wears off, chattering for Ireland etc.!

The OP is lucky to have found an NHS dentist.
I had a great NHS dentist for 25 years when I lived in Barnsley.
Having moved back to Leeds 5 years ago ... Trying to get an NHS dentist ... It's like pulling teeth !
Wasn’t that difficult tbh, I called 4 surgeries. One of them that turned me down actually rang me today because they had a cancellation!!
If I knew how simple it was I’d have done it ages ago.
I didn’t even know I was eligible.

Tooth to come out ? I don`t mind the Black and Decker , or the pliers.

What I don`t like is the imprint of a boot sole on my face when I walk out!

The last time my Mrs went to the dentist he told her she'd have to have four teeth out. She said she'd rather have a baby, so he told her to make her mind up as he'd have to adjust the chair.

Wasn’t that difficult tbh, I called 4 surgeries. One of them that turned me down actually rang me today because they had a cancellation!!
If I knew how simple it was I’d have done it ages ago.
I didn’t even know I was eligible.
Everyone's eligible.

The thing that inflicts the most pain during any visit to the dentist is the extraction of cash from the wallet 😰

You also have to beware Irish trained chancers in the field of implants, something we discovered when sorting out Cora's implants. After the first one was suspended by the dental council we were recommended by the first mob to another place in Maidstone, his website gave one price for what we needed but after a first consultation - which his website said was free but for which we were charged £189! - his quote was £2000 higher than the website. I queried all this, he withdrew his offer and refunded the £189 (and is no longer there!) and we found a superb maxillofacial consultant at our local NHS hospital who also has a small private practise and has been superb.

Had my appointment yesterday and they just took x-rays and came up with a plan.

I need 5 back teeth removed because they’ve had it. I’ve got to have a load of fillings and a good clean up.

The treatment starts March 2.

I need 5 back teeth removed because they’ve had it. I’ve got to have a load of fillings and a good clean up.

The treatment starts March 2.
That for me, in no uncertain terms, would be "canula in the inside of the elbow, add anaesthetic" jobbie, I wish you luck with that lot, they'd need to knock me out for a couple of hours, then after all that and a few weeks it'll be same again taking impressions for the now required dentures. Would not like to be in your shoes for the next few months, suspect I may soon be in similar problems. good luck mate, will be thinking of you!

That for me, in no uncertain terms, would be "canula in the inside of the elbow, add anaesthetic" jobbie, I wish you luck with that lot, they'd need to knock me out for a couple of hours, then after all that and a few weeks it'll be same again taking impressions for the now required dentures. Would not like to be in your shoes for the next few months, suspect I may soon be in similar problems. good luck mate, will be thinking of you!
I won’t need any falsies because I’ll still be left with enough back teeth to chew food. One of them though needs a serious rebuild which is the bit that I’m not actually looking forward to.

I too can remember the filings done with no pain relief and the odd extraction with gas as a kid, can still remember the guys knee planted firmly on my chest as he levered it out lol. Oddly enough I have zero fear of the dentist after all that but spiders are another thing entirely 🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️ arrrrgh.

My dental phobia dates back to my early years (about 10 years old) and an extraction under gas where I was bleeding and crying for the entire 1 mile walk home. I managed to control it for many years but the variety of NHS dentists - all European of some variety - that I suffered since we moved here 14 1/2 years ago brought it all back in spades, such that I was recommended to get my GP to refer me to the Community Dental Service, which has taken time but has been superb. Once Panna puts the syringe to the canula and says goodnight there's no pain (although she tells me my gag reflex still kicks in a little even under the anaesthetic!) and I come round with no memory of anything, no idea of what time it is, and apparently in a "funny" mode! Also helps me relax for SWMBO driving me home!!

In my yoof our dentist did not offer any form of aesthetic for fillings & I became used to the drilling & filling.
Moved on to a different town/different time & signed up for a new NHS dentist. He was happy to administer aesthetic injections in the gums for fillings. I found the pain of the needle excruciating and asked if it was necessary. He said no, so since then I've continued to have fillings without a jab.
He then went private, stating that the NHS terms did not allow him to give the care he wanted to give. He operated under a Smilecare Plan which cost £7/month - £84 per year.
I took the hump and found a new NHS dentist a few doors down on the same street.
First checkup, I sat in the waiting room observing the NHS charges poster - £29.50 (iirc) for a check up, clean & polish. Foreign lady dentist carried out the checkup which comprised a look but no touch of my teeth, describing each tooth to her assistant. She then said I needed a clean & polish and to book an appointment with the hygienist. (was used to this clean & polish being carried out by the dentist as part of the checkup)
Back out to reception to be told that the hygienist was private & the clean & polish would cost an additional £30. So that's now £119/year.
Hygienist was no where near the standard I had been used to, picking around at random.
Cap in hand I went back to the original dentist & re-signed for the Smilecare Plan
About a year ago went for a checkup & staff were fidgety & apologetic. Dentist had turned up at work a couple of days earlier & said he was retiring that day & he had sold the practice to a new man!
Turns out new man is ok and is continuing with the same Smilecare Plan & offering equal or better service. Now paying £13/month (iirc) for a higher level of service.

SWMBO has needed 3 extractions over the last 10 years.
The first was done by the dentist & after local aesthetic he ended up kneeling on her chest & having difficulty getting the tooth out.
Subsequent extractions have been referred to NHS and after an NHS check she has been into an NHS clinic for general aesthetic & extraction. IIRC, the NHS fee has been around £50

Skipped the dentist for around 15 years , from mid way through secondary school to my late 20`s.

Ended up requiring very similar treatment to yourself , once complete i never missed a checkup or the hygienist again.

Just think happy thoughts and dont drink hot drinks for a while or you will end up wearing them.

K

Haaaaa, happy days, At school I once chose not to have the needle for a filling, my testicles haven’t come down yet!!

Had my appointment yesterday and they just took x-rays and came up with a plan.

Well Dentists in the UK are generally poor,it would seem you have a fair bit of work to be done,I would not hesitate if I was you to go to Budapest and the Kreativ dental practice,there dentists are surgeons,many UK dentists are not,if you are paying a UK dentist then Kreativ will be cheaper,for years now UK dentists look on their patients as a ATM they do some work knowing that in a few months you will be back,take for instance bleeding gums,this is a sign of infection in the gums nearly always as a infection at the base of one or more teeth roots,in Budapest they will cut the gum and remove the infection which can be seen on a xray,but the UK dentist does not,they do not even give you a prescription for anti biotics,it is a complete farce.

Well Dentists in the UK are generally poor,it would seem you have a fair bit of work to be done,I would not hesitate if I was you to go to Budapest and the Kreativ dental practice,there dentists are surgeons,many UK dentists are not,if you are paying a UK dentist then Kreativ will be cheaper,for years now UK dentists look on their patients as a ATM they do some work knowing that in a few months you will be back,take for instance bleeding gums,this is a sign of infection in the gums nearly always as a infection at the base of one or more teeth roots,in Budapest they will cut the gum and remove the infection which can be seen on a xray,but the UK dentist does not,they do not even give you a prescription for anti biotics,it is a complete farce.

I think you'll find there are a number of situations where the gums can bleed and as a result different treatment strategies.

'nearly always as a infection at the base of one or more teeth roots' sounds more like the description of a periapical abscess - which is rather more than an infection of the gums.

We've used dentists in UK and SE Asia - and my view is that if you find one you trust then stick with them. We've been badly let down twice by dentists we liked retiring (so inconsiderate). So the trick is to find a dentist you trust and like who is a good bit younger than you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom