Dentists!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is reading about the dentist worse than actually going?
Right now I'll have to disagree. My opinion may change as the memory and pain fades!

I've just cancelled my Tuesday appointment!

I only ever get dental pain after going to the bloody dentist.

Other half found us a NHS dentist. One check-up persuaded me never to go back there again. No computers, no technology, no nothing....

Scary.

The scale and polish always creates a few days worth of gum pain and sensitive teeth.
It is true though that toothache always appears late on Friday evening so you have the whole weekend to deal with it.

The scale and polish always creates a few days worth of gum pain and sensitive teeth.
After this morning's extraction my dentist asked if I wanted a scale and polish while I was there. The thought of even the tiniest bit more pain was too much so I made my excuses and ran! I'm officially a Southern Softee.:cool:

You all think yourself lucky this is,was my wives dentist !

Dentist killed walker, 60, and his dog seconds after sending message while driving

• Kay Nolan killed Stuart Mather and his dog, Hamish, in June 2011
  • She admitted death by careless driving and faces up to five years in prison
  • Had pulled over to write message but didn't hit send until she was driving

By Jaya Narain
PUBLISHED:10:24, 27 November 2012| UPDATED:11:44, 29 November 2012

A dentist is facing up to five years in jail after she admitted sending a text message at the wheel as she knocked down and killed a dog-walker.
Kay Nolan, 45, had pulled over in a lay-by to compose the message on her mobile phone but had set off again by the time she pressed ‘send’.
As she did so, she ploughed into Stuart Mather, 60, a grandfather who was walking his Scottish terrier, Hamish.

article-0-163AEA42000005DC-350_306x423.jpg

article-0-163AEED5000005DC-194_306x423.jpg

Kay Nolan, left, knocked down and killed Stuart Mather, right, while sending a text message in June last year

Both Mr Mather and his dog were then hit again by the car behind Nolan.
Mr Mather was taken by air ambulance to hospital but died later. His dog also perished.
Nolan, who works as a dentist at a practice near Burnley, had been facing a charge of causing death by dangerous driving – which carries a maximum 14-year prison sentence.
But on the day she was due to stand trial by jury, lawyers allowed her to plead guilty to the lesser charge of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.
The charge carries a minimum sentence of 15 months and a maximum of five years.
Last night the family of the victim were too upset to speak about the tragedy.

'It sends out the wrong message that taking and destroying lives on roads is treated leniently'

But Richard Coteau, of road safety charity Brake, said: ‘Brake believes it is inappropriate to prosecute someone whose bad driving has killed or seriously injured for “careless”driving, because if you have killed or maimed through your bad driving, your actions were by definition dangerous.
‘Brake is very concerned that fewer and fewer road death cases are being prosecuted under the charge of causing death by dangerous driving.
‘This means that in many cases people who kill through their bad driving are receiving unduly low sentences that do not reflect the harm they have caused, do not act as a deterrent and send out the wrong message that taking and destroying lives on roads is treated leniently.’
The tragedy occurred at 5.20pm on June 6, 2011, as Nolan was on her way home to the village of Thornton-in-Craven near Skipton, North Yorkshire.
Mr Mather, a Campaign for Real Ale member who had two sons and three grandchildren, was taking Hamish for his regular walk. Nolan, in her silver Honda Jazz car, pushed the button to send her text message as she drove down the road. Police said her car then hit Mr Mather and his dog, who were both then hit again by a Vauxhall Astra travelling behind.
No one in either car was injured but Mr Mather suffered horrendous injuries and despite the efforts of medics at Royal Blackburn Hospital, he later died.
Nolan was charged last January with death by dangerous driving but Robert Elias, prosecuting, told Preston Crown Court on Monday that the Crown Prosecution Service had decided to accept her guilty plea to the lesser charge after discussions with Mr Mather’s family.
Nolan, who has no previous convictions, will be sentenced on December 17.
An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Stuart Mather was hit by a car that was being driven by Kay Nolan as she was sending a text message. It also incorrectly stated that Miss Nolan was pulling out of a layby in Higham when in fact it was Padiham. And also that Miss Nolan had a collision with a Vauxhall Astra. Nor did Miss Nolan send a text seconds after the collision with Mr Mather.

Read more: Dentist killed walker, 60, and his dog seconds after sending message while driving | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Important thing is to try to maintain the blood clot in the extracted tooth socket. AVOID any mouth manoeuvres that involve "sucking" in case any negative pressure loosens the clot. The clot forms the basis of gum overgrowth. If you end up with a dry socket=bone then its more prone to infection so get it checked out. What Is Dry Socket? Symptoms and Treatment

You all think yourself lucky this is,was my wives dentist !

Dentist killed walker, 60, and his dog seconds after sending message while driving

• Kay Nolan killed Stuart Mather and his dog, Hamish, in June 2011
  • She admitted death by careless driving and faces up to five years in prison
  • Had pulled over to write message but didn't hit send until she was driving

By Jaya Narain
PUBLISHED:10:24, 27 November 2012| UPDATED:11:44, 29 November 2012

A dentist is facing up to five years in jail after she admitted sending a text message at the wheel as she knocked down and killed a dog-walker.
Kay Nolan, 45, had pulled over in a lay-by to compose the message on her mobile phone but had set off again by the time she pressed ‘send’.
As she did so, she ploughed into Stuart Mather, 60, a grandfather who was walking his Scottish terrier, Hamish.

article-0-163AEA42000005DC-350_306x423.jpg

article-0-163AEED5000005DC-194_306x423.jpg

Kay Nolan, left, knocked down and killed Stuart Mather, right, while sending a text message in June last year

Both Mr Mather and his dog were then hit again by the car behind Nolan.
Mr Mather was taken by air ambulance to hospital but died later. His dog also perished.
Nolan, who works as a dentist at a practice near Burnley, had been facing a charge of causing death by dangerous driving – which carries a maximum 14-year prison sentence.
But on the day she was due to stand trial by jury, lawyers allowed her to plead guilty to the lesser charge of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.
The charge carries a minimum sentence of 15 months and a maximum of five years.
Last night the family of the victim were too upset to speak about the tragedy.

'It sends out the wrong message that taking and destroying lives on roads is treated leniently'

But Richard Coteau, of road safety charity Brake, said: ‘Brake believes it is inappropriate to prosecute someone whose bad driving has killed or seriously injured for “careless”driving, because if you have killed or maimed through your bad driving, your actions were by definition dangerous.
‘Brake is very concerned that fewer and fewer road death cases are being prosecuted under the charge of causing death by dangerous driving.
‘This means that in many cases people who kill through their bad driving are receiving unduly low sentences that do not reflect the harm they have caused, do not act as a deterrent and send out the wrong message that taking and destroying lives on roads is treated leniently.’
The tragedy occurred at 5.20pm on June 6, 2011, as Nolan was on her way home to the village of Thornton-in-Craven near Skipton, North Yorkshire.
Mr Mather, a Campaign for Real Ale member who had two sons and three grandchildren, was taking Hamish for his regular walk. Nolan, in her silver Honda Jazz car, pushed the button to send her text message as she drove down the road. Police said her car then hit Mr Mather and his dog, who were both then hit again by a Vauxhall Astra travelling behind.
No one in either car was injured but Mr Mather suffered horrendous injuries and despite the efforts of medics at Royal Blackburn Hospital, he later died.
Nolan was charged last January with death by dangerous driving but Robert Elias, prosecuting, told Preston Crown Court on Monday that the Crown Prosecution Service had decided to accept her guilty plea to the lesser charge after discussions with Mr Mather’s family.
Nolan, who has no previous convictions, will be sentenced on December 17.
An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Stuart Mather was hit by a car that was being driven by Kay Nolan as she was sending a text message. It also incorrectly stated that Miss Nolan was pulling out of a layby in Higham when in fact it was Padiham. And also that Miss Nolan had a collision with a Vauxhall Astra. Nor did Miss Nolan send a text seconds after the collision with Mr Mather.

Read more: Dentist killed walker, 60, and his dog seconds after sending message while driving | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not sure how that affects your wife?

I wish people would not post Daily Mail articles - at least I can choose not to click on the link. There pious writing really does piss me off.

PS not to condone killing someone by texting while driving.

Not sure how that affects your wife?

I wish people would not post Daily Mail articles - at least I can choose not to click on the link. There pious writing really does piss me off.

PS not to condone killing someone by texting while driving.

Yes sorry but I am not up on how to just post the link ( I have just got my head round posting Pictures !) The reason it affects my wife is that she will have to find another Dentist if she goes to Prison.:(

Important thing is to try to maintain the blood clot in the extracted tooth socket.

I'm surprised that 'they' haven't come up with some sort of slow dissolving standard dressing for the socket that protects it for several days while things start to settle.

Yes sorry but I am not up on how to just post the link ( I have just got my head round posting Pictures !) The reason it affects my wife is that she will have to find another Dentist if she goes to Prison.:(

I think she should get another one anyway. Wouldn't want her texting with one hand while doing a root canal filling with the other!

The hole left by my recently extracted tooth is healing well. I wonder if it would be as good if I'd gone to this dentist:
[YOUTUBE]WR8tIjTykbE[/YOUTUBE]

Joined a new practice in Auchinleck, went last week..............the day before he got struck off.

Surely she'll get treated by the resident prison dentist! :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom