Dents in a car park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littleowl

Car
C220 AMG Sport Edition Auto Estate, VW T5, Ducati Scrambler
I've lost count of the number of door dints I've had in my previous cars over the years, after parking in car parks. I always try to park in the least populated area of the car park, but that doesn't save you apparently.

Since having the Merc I've been even more careful where I park, so was fuming to find a dent and paint crack in the lower rear passenger door today. I only parked in Tesco yesterday and was totally on my own, was in Tesco for 15 mins and the car still on its own when I came out. So it's either been done deliberately or someone let their trolley run into the car. It's not a dent from a car door as it's low down (below the chrome trim).

Seriously considering getting a pickup :mad:

Similar issue with me, I’ve got 2 small 5p size dings in a door and a small chip in another place.

I have a PDR guy who I get to come round every few months to get these attended to. He will be attending soon to work his magic. He’s pretty reasonably priced too maybe £100 to sort out a couple dings.

Unfortunately it’s just something that will happen when you use the car all the time, people who don’t give a shit about their own cars won’t give a shit about yours either.

I’ve parked at the back only to return to a car parked right next to me. When there are tonnes of other spaces.

I feel your despair .

The only practical solution is one of those 360 degree cameras left to run all the time , or four conventional dashcams to give all round coverage , and when it happens send the evidence to their insurer directly and ask them to pay .

In retrospect of this event , do you have a receipt from Tesco which times your visit , and is there any cctv which might have captured the incident?

You can send in a subject access request with a payment of £10 , whereupon they must supply any relevant footage .

I feel your despair .

The only practical solution is one of those 360 degree cameras left to run all the time , or four conventional dashcams to give all round coverage , and when it happens send the evidence to their insurer directly and ask them to pay .

In retrospect of this event , do you have a receipt from Tesco which times your visit , and is there any cctv which might have captured the incident?

You can send in a subject access request with a payment of £10 , whereupon they must supply any relevant footage .

I don’t think they can charge due to GDPR now!

Having done some fairly lazy research into the parking in supermarket car park mentality? I believe it is known as "herding" mentality and goes back through time to when we carried spears and rocks (so good few weeks ago). Something to do with mans need to be next to his fellow man. It is infuriating. Last week in Tesco, Rainham, Kent. Sat in my Wife's X5 - BANG!!! A trolley load shopping has rolled down the car park and clobbered my wife's rear bumper. I get to look for the offender. In the distance I can see women engaged in a deep conversation. One of them suddeny apears to realise that it her trolley that escaped.

After a short eve tempered chat (hmmm) she has agreed to pay for a dent master repair not to exceed £250 ( I do not believe it will) How can you lose a trolley load of shopping and not notice?

Supermarket home delivery. :D

I would consider a second "shopping trolley" car if I had to use (a) public car park(s) anymore than I do (probably once every 6 months at worst and even then not guaranteed).

Last edited:
My E46, 51 plate and 184k miles is my supermarket and tip trip car.

The man maths was that under £500 pa for tax and insurance, it would be well worthwhile.

This is why i love my hail damaged S55, you can drive it anywhere. My Aston Martin V8V is only driven on trips where the start and end destination is my garage. Explaining why an 11 year old car only has 15300 miles.

I just do not take the CL into a car park, as stated inconsiderate people “so what if I banged your car it is only a car!” I have said to me

Car is too large for space allocated in length and width of parking bay
Aluminium body is easily dented
My geriatric hips mean I need to open the door fully to get out, have you seen the length of An CL door and look at the hinge mechanism, it is a work of art

Well I always wanted a Defender or pickup. Perhaps I should get one as a shopping car and it could double up for pulling a sheep trailer! o_O

I just do not take the CL into a car park, as stated inconsiderate people “so what if I banged your car it is only a car!” I have said to me
The simple answer to that is “... so give me your details because you’re paying for the damage you just did “

The couple of times I challenged people who I caught denting my cars , one apologised profusely and I let her off ; the other time was a grumpy old git who refused to give details , so having pointed out that in itself was an offence , I quickly blocked him in and got my sister , who was with me and it was her car anyway on that occasion , to go and phone the police .

The cops came round and explained that he would be charged if he didn’t supply his details , which he then did . He had clipped the wing of my sister’s car swinging into the adjacent space just as we were about to leave and had paint transfer on his bumper which matched the damage on my sister’s car , and no other way it could have happened. The damage was a bit more than a dent with the wing badly creased so not something to be let go .

His insurance paid for the repair . Ironically if he’d been 30 seconds later we’d have not been there .

A few weeks ago i parked in a DIY store car park, it was a week day and not that busy so i was able to park at least 10 spaces away from any other vehicle. Guess what, when i returned to my car someone had just pulled up and parked next to me leaving me with almost no space to get into my car. When i confronted the driver he was unapologetic and said if i needed more space i could push his door mirror in. I pointed out all the other spaces that were available for him to park in but he wasn't bothered and walked off muttering to himself. :wallbash:

The couple of times I challenged people who I caught denting my cars , one apologised profusely and I let her off ; the other time was a grumpy old git who refused to give details , so having pointed out that in itself was an offence , I quickly blocked him in and got my sister , who was with me and it was her car anyway on that occasion , to go and phone the police .

The cops came round and explained that he would be charged if he didn’t supply his details , which he then did . He had clipped the wing of my sister’s car swinging into the adjacent space just as we were about to leave and had paint transfer on his bumper which matched the damage on my sister’s car , and no other way it could have happened. The damage was a bit more than a dent with the wing badly creased so not something to be let go .

His insurance paid for the repair . Ironically if he’d been 30 seconds later we’d have not been there .

Derek

I am unsure about the law here? Will the Police enforce in a Private Car Park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek

I am unsure about the law here? Will the Police enforce in a Private Car Park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AFAIK:

If it's open to the public then it falls under 'private road with public access' and the usual traffic rules apply.

The rules don't apply if there's a fence or barrier preventing unauthorised access (a car park barrier does bot qualify as it opens for everyone).

So superstore car parks are just like normal roads.

The caveat however is that the road markings and signs need to have been put up by a suitable authority (e.g. the Council), otherwise ignoring speed limits and double yellow lines will only a civil matter. But in most cases superstore car parks are indeed marked by the Council at the owner's request (Tesco etc).

If there aren't any blue bays available I refuse to park at Supermarkets, if the wife ever loses her badge I will exchange the Picanto for an automatic and it will become our shopping trolley.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with a Picanto, she loves hers, small economical and easy to park. Great shopping trolley.

Just had a new front spring fitted under warranty much to my surprise, the car is three years old and has only done 5000 miles did not have to argue excellent service from Arnie Clark Dundee

Nothing wrong with a Picanto, she loves hers, small economical and easy to park. Great shopping trolley.

Just had a new front spring fitted under warranty much to my surprise, the car is three years old and has only done 5000 miles did not have to argue excellent service from Arnie Clark Dundee
Great shopping trolley but wife needs an Auto due to her dodgy elbow...

Great shopping trolley but wife needs an Auto due to her dodgy elbow...

Good excuse to get her into a Merc Kev :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom