Dents in a car park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife has a 3 door RAV4 Automatic. I love it, best shopping trolley ever, remarkably fast along the twisty and hilly 9 miles to town . Not too long so I can open the rear door , loads of space with the two rear seats folded up, , no bending to get in or out. Only downside £285 road tax and under 30 mpg. Despite getting more mpg out of the ML I always leave it at home when I go shopping at the supermarket. Oh and my wife hates grocery shopping so rarely does any, but amazingly loves shopping for clothes or shoes, could anyone explain this ???

Reminds me of this,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Grab yourself a banger - WITH a stereo!

I only parked in Tesco

Sadly this is where the problem is. Supermarkets attract the dregs of society and I utter hate the places. If it’s not trolleys it’s morons hitting your car and driving off or swinging their doors into your car.

As you say OP, even if you park right out of the way some Love Island watching moron will park two inches away despite having numerous other spaces to park in.

Home deliveries are the future mate and sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Invest in a dash cam too. :)

I had to visit hospital recently for a day procedure, I followed a car into the car park and as my appointment was at 10am there were lots of free spaces so I parked the car away from all others.

The lady I followed into the car park parked tightly between two vehicles and whilst opening her rear door banged it into one of the parked cars which happened to have the driver sitting in it, I heard him say to her please be more considerate to other peoples property.

Now I assumed she would apologise.... not so she launched into a tirade of abuse against him calling him a sad old man just looking for an argument and she just carried on loading her child into the buggy whilst continuing with her verbal abuse against this poor man.

Sign of the times I guess.

Robin

If they knock your car are you then allowed to do the same to theirs, is that legal..?

And soo... I'm sitting in the local hospital car park whilst the missus gets her MOT. There's a space not large enough for a Fiesta but maybe a Nissan Micra /Fiat 500. After a while along comes an old "Bod" (Anybody remember him??) in a Fiesta. He stops and looks at the space, ponders a minute then gets back in his car and ...proceeds to ram the other car forward, then backs into the rear car and repeats this manoeuvre a couple of times, then gets out an looks around to see if anyone was watching and walks off..

On another occasion I'm sitting eating my lunch in the car. There's a space right next to me but its tight. An Old "Bod" (Him again) and his wife pull in.. Hubby has left himself plenty of room to get out, but the wife tries to get out, continually battering the door off my car. I put the window down and shout at her "Does she mind, and that I want her insurance details.." "What for?" she asks. I explain what she's just done and....................."It wasn't me I didn't do anything.." then drives off to another bay.. when I get out to follow they drive off completely...

Both instances according to police are RTA's - but they generally don't want involved as its a one on one situation..

Derek

I am unsure about the law here? Will the Police enforce in a Private Car Park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That occasion my sister’s car was damaged was in a council car park , besides the two of us were in the car and witnessed the incident .
With the guy’s name , address & registration, plus details of the police officers who attended , my sister just put it in the hands of her insurance and the other guy’s insurance paid up .

I had to visit hospital recently for a day procedure, I followed a car into the car park and as my appointment was at 10am there were lots of free spaces so I parked the car away from all others.

The lady I followed into the car park parked tightly between two vehicles and whilst opening her rear door banged it into one of the parked cars which happened to have the driver sitting in it, I heard him say to her please be more considerate to other peoples property.

Now I assumed she would apologise.... not so she launched into a tirade of abuse against him calling him a sad old man just looking for an argument and she just carried on loading her child into the buggy whilst continuing with her verbal abuse against this poor man.

Sign of the times I guess.

Robin
The only way to deal with these people is to demand their details and make them pay for any damage .

And soo... I'm sitting in the local hospital car park whilst the missus gets her MOT. There's a space not large enough for a Fiesta but maybe a Nissan Micra /Fiat 500. After a while along comes an old "Bod" (Anybody remember him??) in a Fiesta. He stops and looks at the space, ponders a minute then gets back in his car and ...proceeds to ram the other car forward, then backs into the rear car and repeats this manoeuvre a couple of times, then gets out an looks around to see if anyone was watching and walks off..

On another occasion I'm sitting eating my lunch in the car. There's a space right next to me but its tight. An Old "Bod" (Him again) and his wife pull in.. Hubby has left himself plenty of room to get out, but the wife tries to get out, continually battering the door off my car. I put the window down and shout at her "Does she mind, and that I want her insurance details.." "What for?" she asks. I explain what she's just done and....................."It wasn't me I didn't do anything.." then drives off to another bay.. when I get out to follow they drive off completely...

Both instances according to police are RTA's - but they generally don't want involved as its a one on one situation..
The police around here ( Linlithgow/ Bo’ness ) have always been quite helpful .

Besides the incident I mentioned ( which was in Bo’ness , and the police came round immediately) my mum and sister witnessed this woman scrape all the way along the side of an adjacent car in Linlithgow Tesco’s car park before driving off . My sister got out and tried to stop her but had to jump out of the way to avoid being run over .

She got the number ( and that of the damaged vehicle ) then went straight along to the police station. The cop started to say there was nothing they could do with only her word , until Lesley said her mum was there too and saw everything.

That changed everything with two witnesses, so they took statements and went straight up to the house where the car was registered, finding it damaged with paint transfer from the other car .

The driver was charged with careless driving and leaving the scene without stopping to provide details . Her details were passed to the owner of the other car which was badly damaged , and my mum and sister received a nice bunch of flowers as a thank you .

Sadly this is where the problem is. Supermarkets attract the dregs of society and I utter hate the places. If it’s not trolleys it’s morons hitting your car and driving off or swinging their doors into your car.

As you say OP, even if you park right out of the way some Love Island watching moron will park two inches away despite having numerous other spaces to park in.

Home deliveries are the future mate and sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Invest in a dash cam too. :)
I have a dash cam but it only looks out the front! :rolleyes:

The police really don't want to get involved unless you have irrefutable proof of the other person who damaged your vehicle. My daughter was parked in the care home car park where my mum is, with an empty space next to her. When she went back to her car, it was scraped all along the passenger side, and the car next to it was scraped on it's bumper with my daughter's car's paint colour at exactly the same height as the damage. We managed to get hold of the old man whose car it was, he totally denied it but said 'I admit the space was tight and I did go very close to the car but I didn't hit it' . He also had the nerve to say 'I noticed that your car already had that scratch on it'!!! When I asked him to explain how his own car had the damage and the paint on his bumper was exactly the same as on my daughter's car, he replied 'oh that's been there ages'.

My daughter did inform her insurers and also the police but she just got a crime ref number, they weren't interested in investigating. The insurers could have taken it further to but tbh without any witnesses or cctv evidence it would have been a 'her word against his' situation and she may have been at risk of losing her no claims if they couldn't prove he was at fault.

We went to reception to ask if there was any cctv which they had, but it didn't look in that direction :rolleyes:. Luckily with a lot of elbow grease we managed to get the worst of the scratches off - thankfully it hadn't dented as well. Unlike mine :mad:

That occasion my sister’s car was damaged was in a council car park , besides the two of us were in the car and witnessed the incident .
With the guy’s name , address & registration, plus details of the police officers who attended , my sister just put it in the hands of her insurance and the other guy’s insurance paid up .
My reason for asking is: It is not uncommon for those who have the bluster, to recognise those who who will not challenge their assertions regarding the law and their position. It is always good to know the facts regarding the law before we concede any points (no pun intended). I had exactly this is a Homebase Car Park when an Off Duty Policeman proceeded to read me my rights (his version) and how I now owed him money as a result of him crashing into me. As alarmingly was his valuation of the damage to his @shed@ sorry fifteen year old Golf.

I just do not take the CL into a car park, as stated inconsiderate people “so what if I banged your car it is only a car!” I have said to me

Car is too large for space allocated in length and width of parking bay
Aluminium body is easily dented
My geriatric hips mean I need to open the door fully to get out, have you seen the length of An CL door and look at the hinge mechanism, it is a work of art
The CL door is long. But the hinge is designed so the door opens forwards and therefore not as fully sideways as other two door cars...compare the projection of the door to the front doors in a normal 4 door car.

B*gger! Same as me too so unless a car comes in direct view you're a bit stuck. There was a chap on Piston Heads who caught a guy damaging his car, circumstantial evidence enough that I'm sure he got the guy to pay for it. Nasty little bloke scratching his car deliberately! :(

My reason for asking is: It is not uncommon for those who have the bluster, to recognise those who who will not challenge their assertions regarding the law and their position. It is always good to know the facts regarding the law before we concede any points (no pun intended). I had exactly this is a Homebase Car Park when an Off Duty Policeman proceeded to read me my rights (his version) and how I now owed him money as a result of him crashing into me. As alarmingly was his valuation of the damage to his @shed@ sorry fifteen year old Golf.
The fact that he took that approach brought the police into the equation and would have given you grounds for a formal complaint to the police regarding the conduct of one of their officers .

As long as you always reverse into spaces , and don’t use spaces with another behind , it will capture passing traffic .

Or put a second dashcam in the rear window , as many do - even the very cheap ones from the petrol stations do the job .

The couple of times I challenged people who I caught denting my cars , one apologised profusely and I let her off ; the other time was a grumpy old git who refused to give details , so having pointed out that in itself was an offence , I quickly blocked him in and got my sister , who was with me and it was her car anyway on that occasion , to go and phone the police .

The cops came round and explained that he would be charged if he didn’t supply his details , which he then did . He had clipped the wing of my sister’s car swinging into the adjacent space just as we were about to leave and had paint transfer on his bumper which matched the damage on my sister’s car , and no other way it could have happened. The damage was a bit more than a dent with the wing badly creased so not something to be let go .

His insurance paid for the repair . Ironically if he’d been 30 seconds later we’d have not been there .

The police around here ( Linlithgow/ Bo’ness ) have always been quite helpful .

Besides the incident I mentioned ( which was in Bo’ness , and the police came round immediately) my mum and sister witnessed this woman scrape all the way along the side of an adjacent car in Linlithgow Tesco’s car park before driving off . My sister got out and tried to stop her but had to jump out of the way to avoid being run over .

She got the number ( and that of the damaged vehicle ) then went straight along to the police station. The cop started to say there was nothing they could do with only her word , until Lesley said her mum was there too and saw everything.

That changed everything with two witnesses, so they took statements and went straight up to the house where the car was registered, finding it damaged with paint transfer from the other car .

The driver was charged with careless driving and leaving the scene without stopping to provide details . Her details were passed to the owner of the other car which was badly damaged , and my mum and sister received a nice bunch of flowers as a thank you .

I'm glad for you but down in the South of England, it's a different story.

You are lucky if the police turn up to anything these days.

The situation of your story relies on finding the person / people either there at the time responsible or if not hanging around until they turn which often is not the case.

Or the guilty car driver just drives off and parks somewhere else - you aren't going to look round the entire car park to try and work it out.

You could try and find CCTV evidence but this is more time and hassle. Even then it might not be working or looking at your car. Or it does but you can't see anything but a car disappear.

Even if the police do turn up, I doubt they will be interested and certainly aren't interested in putting in any resource into it.

Other people usually don't want to get involved.

If you involve your insurance, your premium may rise despite it not being a fault claim.

My point being, I think you have been quite lucky.

I've only ever once been in a car when someone opened their door into it but it didn't do any damage so I just had a go at her and she apologised.

Other damage has been there when I got back.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom