Departing with bladed grills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalvin928

Car
S205 C63s , Lotus Carlton replica, CLK 200 Kompressor
Was looking at trying to get rid the oem grill.. 1st thought about matt black... But now thinking of a black metal mesh... Might try to photoshop this to get idea on how it would look. Problem is I haver never seen one... This is without any blades and just a black mesh... I gather this needs to be specially made.. One off... Any pointers who i should speak to if i was to go ahead? Thank you

Sent from my Apple Mobile Device using MBClub UK

Could you not just get the mesh from your local auto shop and make it yourself?

IMO it will look awful though - each to their own and all that :)

Great mod if you want to make a late model Merc look even more generic ;)

Have to agree the stock grill looks far better than them!

I would just spray the OEM grille black or matt black.

Major774 said:
I would just spray the OEM grille black or matt black.

Hi Raymond... Will get a s/h grill and mess about with matt black paint or see if carbon look will work... Thanks for bits as well!

If you are going to go matt black, try Plastidip aerosol paints, you can peel it off if you don't like it.

forget the mesh, it will look nasty!

plastidip, Acid matt blacked his E55 grill, might be a picture on the TRAX thread, take a look.

Hi Raymond... Will get a s/h grill and mess about with matt black paint or see if carbon look will work... Thanks for bits as well!

No problems :D

If you like the carbon look consider the 3M Di-noc film.
Ed A.

What do you reckon - silver or black? I'd much rather have the original grill but can't get hold of a distronic one.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 22
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 19
The original silver looks a bit too bling but the black doesn't really go with anything :dk:

haaran said:
What do you reckon - silver or black? I'd much rather have the original grill but can't get hold of a distronic one.

Think i would prefer without the mercedes badge... Just plain... Have ordered another silver one to 'experiment' on... I have cans bon mirror coves and lip etc.. So black might be fine... But stock looks good anyway

Sent from my Mobile Device using MBClub UK

My effort on Photoshop before I did the deed. Looks better than faded grey. Wouldn't go for the mesh on a W124, but may look OK on a recent model.

Attachments

• BlackInnerGrillePost copy.jpg
    BlackInnerGrillePost copy.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 9
My "Blades" are coloured the same as bodywork and i think on my dark blue car goes really well but i hate the carbon look. Each to their own.

I did the mesh thing to my W202 years ago (for practical reasons, not aesthetic ones). Looks utterly horrible, but if you're rally driving it really does save the radiator...

If you want I can dig a picture out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom