Depreciation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
What's the record?

I've sold the Volvo today. it's cost me £60 in depreciation over 18 months and 35k. Not bad I think.

Most or least?

Most:

£12k on a BMW Alpina in 15 months

Least:

£0 on my first car in one year of motoring selling it in considerably worse condition than when I bought it with 15k miles

:)

Most:

£12k on a BMW Alpina in 15 months
:eek:

Which one?

I thought losing £4k in a year on my old RS4 was bad.

3 year old Alpina B10 V8 on a Y plate - bought for £30k (£74,000 new on the invoice I got a copy of - had everything), sold for £17,800 15 months down the line.

My **** still feels sore now and that experience will not be repeated!

Was a lovely car though - great sounding engine and the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in (including E55K seats in that comparison).

Got divorced once cost me £100K ...does that count ?

That reminds me - my first W203 cost me about £8k in one year. A combination of high initial price, too many miles, and relatively poor p/ex, together with a tanked market. Only compensation was that the price of it's replacement had tanked with it.

I made £25 profit on a Peugeot 205 after 6 months or more use, and a clutch which was very clearly on it's way out.

Got divorced once cost me £100K ...does that count ?

Got married once, cost me even more ...and still counting!!

Back in March, used Cygnets were few and far between and 2011 models were being offered at £35-40,000. Six months later, the starting price had dipped below £20,000. Ouch.

I don't buy cars that are expensive enough to depreciate noticeably. I usually sell most of my cars for maximum 10% less than I paid. But the cars are usually in much better condition as well after my care!
Sold my first 4 cars for a profit after many miles in each...times have changed though!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Civic VTi. Bought at 3 years old with 75k on the clock.

Sold 2.5 years later, with 154k, for £400 less.

Back in 2001 I bought a 4 months old Vauxhall Omega CDX for 60% of its then RRP. Someone lost 40% on that car in one third of a year....

Now before you say that no one ever bought Omegas at RRP, I got it from an official dealer who would have added their margin to what they paid the previous owner, which probably evens it out.

Back in 2001 I bought a 4 months old Vauxhall Omega CDX for 60% of its then RRP. Someone lost 40% on that car in one third of a year....

Now before you say that no one ever bought Omegas at RRP, I got it from an official dealer who would have added their margin to what they paid the previous owner, which probably evens it out.

We bought my Father-in-Laws 2 year old top-spec Vauxhall Omega V6 when he was chopping it in for a brand-new Range Rover - we paid him what the dealer offered in PX. It was £24k (ish) new, and we paid him £5,400 ...in two years and 24k miles - now that's depreciation!!

It had lost more than 75% of it's list price in 2 years. Great car that was too.

I used to buy at 6-12 months old with sub 10k miles on them and sell again when they got to 40k or 18 months, which ever came first, never really lost much on those.

535d sport touring £33000 and sold 30k miles later for £32000.
335i sport touring £32000 and sold for £31000.

M3 CSL bought for £31000 and sold for £32500.

One of the highest depreciators for me was the s211 E320cdi.
I was being sensible and buying at 3.5 years old, paid £17,500 for it, and after 12 months it had lost £5000, in the end I sold at nearly 2 years and it had lost £7000 as a private sale. Dealers were offering £8k.
Buying a car at 2.5 to 3 years old is a big mistake imho, you are still paying a high price as for example a 59 plate or 10 plate still feels like a new car, but then after 2 years you suddenly have a 5 year old car, and a 5 year old car has to cost someone a lot less a month than they can get a new one for.

I can't be bothered to buy and sell every 6-12 months anymore, and I definitely don't want to loose loads of money on cars, so I am back in a 51 plate C Class estate and our second car is my daughters old Fiesta, don't cost anything so nothing to loose.

Rover had a full tank (I think!)

upset with it today. need to change a sensor - and of course it's the one that means taking the starter motor off to get to. No time in the week, and this weekend is already reserved for daughters birthday surprise. have to pay a garage.... grrr. It's start date as volvo replacement is delayed by another week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom