Derbyshire Police repaints safety camera van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
This was in the paper today. Before:

3.jpg

And after:

1.jpg

Note the artistic touches e.g. symmetrical rear window added, scruffy towbar, paint smudges on rear bumper and door handle, crooked GB sticker ... apparently none of which are an attempt to 'disguise' the vehicle in any way :rolleyes:

Story courtesy of MCN: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...28-4/apr2908policesneakytactics/?R=EPI-100130

PS according to the newspaper they forgot to notify the DVLA that the vehicle colour had been changed ... and may be fined £1,000 :D

which we have to pay for in taxes.
the police is not a commercial company so who pays inevitably for all these fines?

This was in the paper today. Before:

3.jpg

And after:

1.jpg

Note the artistic touches e.g. symmetrical rear window added, scruffy towbar, paint smudges on rear bumper and door handle, crooked GB sticker ... apparently none of which are an attempt to 'disguise' the vehicle in any way :rolleyes:

Story courtesy of MCN: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...28-4/apr2908policesneakytactics/?R=EPI-100130

Nah nah,,, thats glojo haveng fun with us :):)

Is the GB sticker on so that they can travel to France and catch some speeders over there too......tax money well spent in my opinion ;)

Here in Essex the focus is on reducing speeding by the use of highly visible vans and flashing signs before speed camera installations that warn you of you speed. And guess what? It works. This approach is so obviously calculated not to reduce your speed, but to generate fines it staggers belief.

Where is the safety in this approach?

Often I have read that a visible police presence will help calm things down. No visible police presence will, no doubt, result in no calming effect and, having disguised the van as above, can only be seen as a money generating exercise rather than a safety related campaign.

I find the whole idea of disguising vans like that pretty sick.

Why is it that roadside fixed cameras are clearly marked but vans such as this aren't?

Last edited:
This is genuinely unbelievable. If it's true then I think we have crossed a real line in speed enforcement. Sadly things like this only serve to reduce public confidence in the police.

I did chuckle at the "artistic" touches though. If it's still in the ownership of the police I can only comment... "Devious b@stards!!!"

Are these vans just plotted up and left or is there a chap inside them ?

Looking like it does , like an old builders van with the towbar and the mud and crap on the back , how long before some tea leaf decides to turn it over to see if there is a DeWalt set in the back ? ;)

An unattended van in the layby ? Easy pickings ....

I believe that shade of white is called "Knicked All White".

What more proof do we need that catching motorist speeding is at least as much about revenue as it is about safety.

There is steathy behaviour...

...unless they warned about safety camera vans up the road, or have a blue police speed check sign. Then you can't argue you haven't been warned.

I only wish the same level of indgenuity was applied in their ability to move on underage drinkers.

I'm not in favour of covert cameras such as these, but speeding is illegal and can be dangerous regardless of whether the police are watching you or not.

I'm not in favour of covert cameras such as these, but speeding is illegal and can be dangerous regardless of whether the police are watching you or not.

Well said! Its not like you don't know what the limit is. A lot complain like school kids that police is out there to get their money and they are not notified in advance. What going to ask next, that burglars get a text message when police are on their way?

The point is that measures like this don't reduce speeding, they simply earn money from it. Highly visible police presence, warning signs and speed cameras do reduce speeding.

live in Derby will have to look out for this one.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom