Desert Island Discs - Roger Waters. Enter your own favourites here and on BBC Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
A staple of Radio 4 - Desert Island Discs.

The choices, and the revealing interview with Pink Floyds Roger Waters, makes for interesting listening. LINK.

If you are quick enough, you can submit your own Desert Island Discs to Radio 4. LINK.

For the record, my 8, favourites are: (Okay, I have cheated and included a couple of albums).

1: Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon. :)
2: Chopin - Berceuse in D flat major op 57. Best played by Peter Donohoe
3: Chopin - Nocturne in C-sharp minor.
4: Debussy - Arabesque - Piano
5: Andrew Gold - Never Let Her Slip Away
6: Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone.
7: Rush - 2112.
8: Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade.

Compiling a list of eight of your favourites is best done quickly, otherwise you'll be there forever..

Last edited:
1. Remember youre a Smurf - Father Abraham
2. Wombling Christmas - The Wombles
3. Funky Moped - Jasper Carrott
4. Oh you are awful - D!ck Emery
5. Je'taime - Frankie Howard and June Whitfield
6. Ther'e coming to take me away - Napoleon 14th
7. Neasden - Willie Rushton
8. Christmas record 1964 - Private eye

Not really - but I would love to hear them played on Radio 4.

Bringin it all back home
Desire
The Freewheelin'
Highwat 61 revisited
The times they are a changing
Blonde on Blonds
Slow Train Coming
Street Legal

1. Remember youre a smurf - father abraham
2. Wombling christmas - the wombles
3. Funky moped - jasper carrott
4. Oh you are awful - d!ck emery
5. Je'taime - frankie howard and june whitfield
6. Ther'e coming to take me away - napoleon 14th
7. Neasden - willie rushton
8. Christmas record 1964 - private eye

not really - but i would love to hear them played on radio 4.

lol!

I thought Roger Waters' list was remarkable. Not what I expected at first but then you delve deeper and ever choice is poignant and a reflection of his life and intelligence.

It was a special time on the radio.

I haven't thought of a list yet but would have to include

'You've Got A Friend' - Carole King and James Taylor duet Link
'Angelique' - Kenny Loggins Link
'Here comes the sun' - The Beatles [url="www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk]Link[/url]

Last edited:
I thought Roger Waters' list was remarkable. Not what I expected at first but then you delve deeper and ever choice is poignant and a reflection of his life and intelligence.

I agree and maybe listening to the interview has slightly softened my opinion of Mr Waters, who I'd taken a dislike to over the sacking of Rick Wright. As time rolls on, it is clear that this is a decision that Roger regrets.

Ironically, Rick was the only person to make any money out of "The Wall" because he was a hired employee. The (albeit fantastic) massively expensive stage show etc ensured a loss for Pink Floyd on that tour.

Just listened to this on the iPlayer, and I have to echo ringway's and LTD's sentiments - Waters' selection was inspired and compelling.

I have to commend the man's taste; I can't start to imagine what eight records I'd take to a desert island, but I can well believe that Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and Billie Holdiay would be in the running (though perhaps not the same pieces he chose). The same applies to Puccini and Mahler.

It also brought home to me how evocative music can be, especially when it has been used in films: My Funny Valentine sparked an immediate association with The Talented Mr Ripley, while Mahler's Fifth took me straight back to Death in Venice.

I've had little think this evening and have come up with the following selection (though I could re-specify it many times over):

1: Philip Glass - Mishima/Opening (Kronos Quartet/Michael Riesman)
2: Elbow - One Day Like This (Elbow/BBC Concert Orchestra/Chantage)
3: Georges Bizet - Duet from Les pêcheurs de perles (Jussi Björling and Robert Merrill)
4: Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes
5: Henry Purcell - Abdelazar; Z570 (Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment)
6: Sky - Carillon
7: Belle & Sebastian - Asleep on a Sunbeam
8: Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 7 in A Major; op. 92 (Leonard Bernstein/Weiner Philharmoniker)

YouTube link: MOCAŠ's Desert Island Discs playlist

I've had little think this evening and have come up with the following selection (though I could re-specify it many times over):

1: Philip Glass - Mishima/Opening (Kronos Quartet/Michael Riesman)
2: Elbow - One Day Like This (Elbow/BBC Concert Orchestra/Chantage)
3: Georges Bizet - Duet from Les pêcheurs de perles (Jussi Björling and Robert Merrill)
4: Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes
5: Henry Purcell - Abdelazar; Z570 (Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment)
6: Sky - Carillon
7: Belle & Sebastian - Asleep on a Sunbeam
8: Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 7 in A Major; op. 92 (Leonard Bernstein/Weiner Philharmoniker)

YouTube link: MOCAŠ's Desert Island Discs playlist

Nice selection, MOCAS. I could comfortably listen to most of those on a desert Island. I'm very impressed by the YouTube playlist.

In particular, it's nice to see Elbow (it took 15, years before they had any success) in the company of the BBCCO and Chantage Choir.

Last edited:
I admire anyone who can condense their most preferred music choices down to a mere eight pieces. I would simply not be able to do it.

Ok - I could, but the following day it might (nay, would) be completely different.

I admire anyone who can condense their most preferred music choices down to a mere eight pieces. I would simply not be able to do it.

Ok - I could, but the following day it might (nay, would) be completely different.

I couldn't agree more. Even as I was compiling my list there were several choices vying for each position. I also tried to avoid just picking a list of favourite pieces, trying instead to concentrate on music that I would be unlikely to tire of (in the spirit of the exercise). But yes, as mentioned in my post, I could re-write that list many times over.

Best not to ponder too long, Keith. I've realised that I have left out Tubular Bells and The Lark Ascending but hey ho..

I'll ashamedly admit that my luxury item would be a supply of Dunhill Red cigarettes.

Absolutely! In my case at least I believe I would have to revert to the classics. If true timelessness is the best marker by which to judge, then it would have to be this way.

So I have chosen my sole genre. Ok - now to select my eight favourite Classical pieces. ARRGGHH! Impossible still!

Maybe the eight pieces of Holst's Planet Suite. There's one for every mood all in one box! And all eight selections used up. Ok, so I'm being flippant now, but it is an impossible task...

Absolutely! In my case at least I believe I would have to revert to the classics. If true timelessness is the best marker by which to judge, then it would have to be this way.

So I have chosen my sole genre. Ok - now to select my eight favourite Classical pieces. ARRGGHH! Impossible still!

Maybe the eight pieces of Holst's Planet Suite. There's one for every mood all in one box! And all eight selections used up. Ok, so I'm being flippant now, but it is an impossible task...

What about your penchant for Rachmaninov?

I think you're helping him to prove his point... :D

And also E.L.O. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom