Design Niggles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orangeboy

Car
E320 CDI Avantgarde
I´ve had my W211 for a few weeks now, and I really love it. But there is one silly little thing that is annoying me- the steering wheel. It feels really cheap, and too small for a car of it´s size. A silly thing, but one that grates after a while because it´s obviously the part of the car you are in contact with the most!!

When you have such a nice car you expect a quality feeling steering wheel.

What are other members slight moans about their Mercedes? :devil:

Is that a leather steering wheel? Should be standard on Avantgarde, was it in Elegance too?

The steering wheel should be big on cars that do not have power steering. Have you ever driven one? ;) Tuners often put a smaller wheel but of course everyone is allowed to have his/her own personal preference.

Perhaps an AMG steering wheel would feel better for you?

It´s a late 2004 Avantgarde, and it´s not leather.

Even an Audi A4 I had from 2000 had a leather steering wheel!!

Actually, I tell a lie, it is leather on closer inspection- just not very good quality. Feels plasticy.

W212:

Cancelling the cruise control has to be done with your left hand by pushing a lever that's tucked away well behind the wheel. What's wrong with a button on the right hand side of the steering wheel, like most cars?

The only interior control you really need to be illuminated at night (the headlight switch) is not illuminated. Nor is the headlight height adjuster.

The steering wheel is not in line with the seat. It's off to the left. On manual cars (only drove one briefly) the pedals are off to the right (the clutch pedal felt like it was to the right of the steering column).

The foot operated parking brake (on manual cars). This stopped me from buying a manual - in traffic on a hill it was just a joke.

Generally I find the design of my car to be outstanding. So many little details that just work so well - so the small number of oddities don't really dilute the pleasure at all. :)

I also found the climate control overly complicated at first.

It´s also annoying that you can skip discs on the steering wheel (sure someone will now tell me I can)

It´s also annoying that you can skip discs on the steering wheel (sure someone will now tell me I can)

Press the menu button until the CD and track number show in the cluster and then press the up/down arrows to select tracks!

Simples.....

Actually, I tell a lie, it is leather on closer inspection- just not very good quality. Feels plasticy.

Yeah I have the same gripe. Hands sweat onto it and it sticks. Have had leather wheels on BMWs and not had this problem. Leather was better.

Other gripe is wheel doesnt telescope out enough to reach and seat base could tilt up a little more. They've catered only for people who like to sit far away from the wheel not for those who like to be up close for maxiumum control.

I wasn't too keen on the steering wheel that came on my car so changed it for a wood and leather version. Much better! :)

Steve don't sit too close to the wheel, those airbags pack a mighty punch....

Press the menu button until the CD and track number show in the cluster and then press the up/down arrows to select tracks!

Simples.....

Yeah, I was talking about changing the CD in the magazine.

The drivers window lift switch in the door. Too close to the doorcard to reach easily.

Yeah, I was talking about changing the CD in the magazine.

Ah... not so sure about that. I have COMAND so I just press the disk number.
I think you can do it via steering wheel but you need to step through each track until you get to the last one then it will move on to the next CD.

Sure there is probably a better way but I don't know it.

I´ve had my W211 for a few weeks now, and I really love it. But there is one silly little thing that is annoying me- the steering wheel. It feels really cheap, and too small for a car of it´s size. A silly thing, but one that grates after a while because it´s obviously the part of the car you are in contact with the most!!

When you have such a nice car you expect a quality feeling steering wheel.

What are other members slight moans about their Mercedes? :devil:

The Avantgarde steering wheel is covered in fine Nappa Leather and is hand sewn.

The steering wheel is the correct size to give the right amount of feel with the power steering fitted.

Personally I think the wheel looks fine and feels just right. You can get a more posey wood and leather one but the change of surface is odd when driving IMO and the wood offers less grip.

I agree with the steering wheel feeling a little cheap. I find the size ok though. If it is leather, it doesn't feel like it. Also as mentioned, why is the steering wheel offset to the left? Must be a reason.

Nevertheless, the car has done a little over 183,000 miles, and the steering wheel still looks ok.

How easy is it to retrofit a W212 AMG wheel/airbag on to a w212 cdi 250? Would the paddles work? What exactly would be needed?
thanks

The inability of my SLK to display the outside temp instead of the speed in km/h.

Can be changed by a star machine or the user in non uk models.

Due to MB's odd interpretation of law that they insist you have to have speed displayed in both imperial and metric all the time.

How easy is it to retrofit a W212 AMG wheel/airbag on to a w212 cdi 250? Would the paddles work? What exactly would be needed?
thanks

Best to start a new thread if you want more answers.

My niggle is the non ergonomic thinking behind the placement of the main switches. Having an estate I need to reach for the rear wash wipe very often...what a stupid place to put such an important switch...as far away as possible.:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom