Designo Variocolour repairs

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by ///ajd, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ///ajd

///ajd Member

Hi

I've just done a quick search, but couldn't find any threads on the Designo "variocolour" paint finishes.

I recall a few years back a Merc salesman told me variocolour was very hard to repair - they had just had to send a scratched S500 in variocolour back to Germany (or somewhere special) at a cost of £10000 to respray the whole side of the car.

Exaggerated myth or true story? Anyone any experience?

2. CKLclive

CKLclive Banned

Car:
    CLK 430
    Think i am not charging enough then ! , I have painted everything from pearls
    to mica paints have this is utter nonsense why and how do they get these prices

3. OP
    OP
    ///ajd

///ajd Member

This was about 10 years ago, and was a main dealer repairing a brand new car to as new.

Is a variocolour paint matching very difficult? How does it work - is it basically 2 blended colours and then a laquer, or are the colours applied one on top of another (like a candy paint), or what? How is it done. Sounds complicated and surely a bit of a nightmare to match.

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    It's a pearlescent lacquer over standard paint.

Remember, the person telling you the story was a salesman.. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ///ajd

///ajd Member

At the risk of another thread lock for advertising - have you ever fixed any 1980s 911s? What would you charge to fix the kidney bowls, sills and b-posts on a 1985 3.2 Carrera (both sides)? Porsche parts, epoxy protection & paint, inc VAT?