desktop advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smatt

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a desktop for £1500-2000 for general useage & specifically for photo & HD video editing. I currently have 6 yr old desktop so anything will be improvement & am not editing video as not powerful enough!

I would be keen for some recommendations...
I thought probably a i7 940 unit- is this a good choice? What are the most important requirements- pure processor power or extra memory( 6Gb or 12Gb?) & how important is the graphics card in view of the fact that I am not a gamer & films will be viewed on dedicated AV system(not pc)? Many systems can have upgraded PSUs- is this necessary?

Are Mesh pcs well rated? I also understand cyperpower are good, although these seem to be more game oriented.
I would also consider a power mac, but have little experience of them although understand they are well rated for photo/video with software pre-installed?

All help & guidance gratefully received.
Thanks in advance

I might get bashed for this, but have a look at an 8-core Intel MacPro, format the hard-drive as NTFS and install Windows over the top (or another proper OS, like Linux - now I'll really get flamed :p )...

M.

Last edited:
Smatt

I posted a Dell offer, the voucher code has now expired, but still a good buy if you ask me.

The monitor was 23" 1080pixels, which you need the 1080 for the HD video editing, and it was Core i7 but cant remember what speed the processor was
- net result would be under £1k even if you upgraded to 4 year support and 8GB of memory- search for Dell and you'll find the thread
- My view is more memory the better as more of the video can be held in memory whislt editing it (and the slowness is getting data of the disks into memory)

Given the current financial crud, I would expect some of the smaller PC makers to disappear as people will be just sticking more memory in their PCs and re-installing rather than buying new shiny machines- so just think about warranties and order using a credit card not a debit card !!!

R

I was going to suggest a Mac aswell you cant beat them for Video editing, My brother has one for sale its G5 (Power PC not Intel) and it comes with a fully registered version of Avid. I can PM you the full spec as it has uprated hard drives and RAM.

PM if interested

Kully

EDIT: comes complete with Mac 23inch Flat screen

Last edited:
I might get bashed for this, but have a look at an 8-core Intel MacPro, format the hard-drive as NTFS and install Windows over the top (or another proper OS, like Linux - now I'll really get flamed :p )...

M.

I know they are fast with the twin processors/8 cores, but can you explain your recommendation, please?
Like for like the mac is much more expensive. For example a base mac pro 2x2.8GHz is about the same as the processor I suggested above, but has less memory, less storage, no blu-ray(although not essential), more basic graphics card & no display. Is the processor speed superiority really that much of an advantage to outweigh the cons?
Thanks

For business I use:

Dell T3400 E6850 3.0GHz
8GB RAM
64bit Windows XP
NVIDEA Quadro FX 4600 GFX card

I do not edit conventional video data as such, but do manipulate 3-4 GB of engineering animation data. I find my PC sufficient to load in 2 such models (8 GB data).

If you buy Windows Vista, buy the correct version depending on your RAM requirements.

From previous benchmarks at work RAM speed is very important. Dell have a habit of shipping their PC with the slowest Ram compatible for the motherboard.

HTH

Last edited:
Or you can get a stonking PC.

Macs are no longer the market leaders for video editing. Most is now done on other platforms.

With all the data you'll be storing what back-up device will you be using?

With all the data you'll be storing what back-up device will you be using?

I use external HDD & DVDs currently
I was planning on a dual 1Tb internal HDD (RAID 0) & continue with ext HDD backup, but would also consider blu-ray for back up with the writer option on the MESH pc

Last edited:
One can only get a base spec power mac at this price & then it needs upgrading as only comes with 2Gb & small HDD...

Do you really need a power mac though for 'general' use.

I have a normal imac, with 2gb ram and that's plenty enough for me to edit photos/videos/music and other general stuff.

I suppose its what you define as general use.

Do you really need a power mac though for 'general' use.

I have a normal imac, with 2gb ram and that's plenty enough for me to edit photos/videos/music and other general stuff.

I suppose its what you define as general use.

Yes, I am wondering a little if it is OTT for my needs or not, hence the questions. I want to get something which might last well & be as future compatible as possible (ie more than 2 wks) as I know things change so quickly in computing.
Are you editing normal video or HD video?

HD has much more data which I believe needs a fast machine to avoid slow processing...
I have a Sony 1080i mini DV camera plus a recently acquired Eos 5dII which records 1080p at 30fps.

Editing HD video will reguire a lot of memory so a 64 bit version of the OS is needed.

We have got 64 bit on one of our pc's - thought it was the future. However, you need to check compatibility with other hardware & software.

OP, can you.....

1/ wire a mains plug?

2 fit / swap a basic car stereo?

because if you can 2k is enough to built a stonking machine, whereas most of the stuff recommended has been complete crap compared to what you could build yourself.

I know they are fast with the twin processors/8 cores, but can you explain your recommendation, please?
Like for like the mac is much more expensive. For example a base mac pro 2x2.8GHz is about the same as the processor I suggested above, but has less memory, less storage, no blu-ray(although not essential), more basic graphics card & no display. Is the processor speed superiority really that much of an advantage to outweigh the cons?
Thanks

2 reasons I gave that recomendation;
- When I bought my last machine, Mac Pro's were the only machines I could find with 8 cores (I now realise times have moved on)
- We buy them at a fraction of the cost to what is advertised on Apple's website, I just checked what the "public" price is and its really quite high...

In light of this, I take back my recomendation!

On a side note, Power Macs are no longer made nor sold; (the last having been the Power Mac G5, last sold over 2 years ago, in August 2006). The new models, which outside look almost identical are Mac Pros.

M.

Last edited:
Thats loads of cash for what you want to do with it, you'd get a decent gaming machine for that money.

OP, can you.....

1/ wire a mains plug?

2 fit / swap a basic car stereo?

because if you can 2k is enough to built a stonking machine, whereas most of the stuff recommended has been complete crap compared to what you could build yourself.

I can answer yes to both questions.
With regards to pcs, I understand they are modular & a lot of it plugs in, but I still would not know where to start & this would involve a fair deal of research & time, which could be tricky.
Do you have any recommendations of starting points?
Your suggestion is certainly tempting. I may have to pick up some pc component mags.....

edit: found this site- http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/ -quite useful...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom