Destructive Ivy!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
I have a problem.

Last year, early on, my garage roof started to leak. Its made of the typical board and felt. I couldnt find out how and where the leak was starting. Eventually I found that it was ivy fronds which had started to grow between the felt and board and then gone upwards through the felt and so made very small holes in the felt. Rather like the top of a pepper pot.

I cut the ivy back and patched the roof which otherwise was in decent nick. So, to the 'root' of the problem :eek: . I found the spot where the ivy was growing from out of the ground. It would have been about 3" in diameter. I cut a section out of it, about 3", to try and kill it or at least stop its supply of nutritian. The problem is, despite all this the thing will not lie down and die, it still keeps on growing and threatening to get under the felt again.

Anyone know what I can do? :mad:

Please help. Portzy.

Ivy can be a real pest. Cut it down and spray any re-growth with a glyphosate spray such as Roundup.

Satch said:
Ivy can be a real pest. Cut it down and spray any re-growth with a glyphosate spray such as Roundup.

Should have gone on to say that stumps need to be treated with RootOut or similar.

Yes, I have had fun getting rid of Ivy and Laurel

Satch said:
Should have gone on to say that stumps need to be treated with RootOut or similar.

Yes, I have had fun getting rid of Ivy and Laurel

I've always found Ivy a nice girl,hav'nt met Laurel though. :D

Satch said:

Satch, can you buy it as 'glyphosphate' like in bulk or do you have to always get Roundup. I have loads to treat BTW. Oh, and thank you as well :D

Portzy.

RoundUp normally is a concentrate and you dilute it down. Unless you have a vast area to treat a visit to B&Q or Homebase should be OK.

But if you are down to stumps do not bother. Just use Rootout (or Amcide) which is based on Ammonium Sulphamate and will kill anything.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0702/ivy.asp

fido said:
I've always found Ivy a nice girl,hav'nt met Laurel though. :D

That is what comes of beating around the bush.

Try a dose of diesel - its leathal to ivy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom