Detachable Tow Bar help - Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bereavement

Car
ML320
Hello All,

So..... My last question was answered and solved on COMAND stuff so thanks for those that helped.

NEXT.

Are they any guidelines/rules of thumb on having a removable tow bar fitted to my R-class? Anything to watch out for and any ideas on the kind of price I should expect to be paying?

Cheers for now.

Dave

I've had detechable (Witter) towbars fitted to my previous and current eclass. Both fitters suggested the Mercedes loom so that the towbar would function correctly. These are almost as expensive as the towbar itself but you get no annoying error messages with them fitted and most importantly the stability system works correctly for towing.

Cost - around £700 fitted. Have a strong drink, sit down and ring Mercedes to see what they charge!

WOW.

I just had a quote from Thule and they suggested £762.... Thought they were having a laugh!?!? Apparently not.

wowzers.

As it is only for a bike rack does that make a difference do you think?

Cheers.

I am now firmly sat down.

If I remember correctly the Merc loom was ~£200?

The Witter I have was £700 fitted. I use it solely with my bike rack (four bike Thules rack - add another £300-£400 for that) and having had too many friends drop bikes off strap on racks or drive roof rack mounted bikes into overhead barriers, it's the best way to go. Not cheap though.

Mercedes was just shy of £2K fitted for the detachable towbar.

well.... may have to have a chat with the bank eh!

I had a detachable Witter towbar with a single 13 pin socket fitted to my 2012 C Class for £375. After discussing it with the fitter he just used a standard wiring kit and I just turn off the Parktronic when I am towing. It works fine with no problems what so ever, and I don't really need the parktronic when I am towing

Thought before opening this someone wanted to put a tow bar onto a Bristol !

Sacrilige :eek:

Towbar can be had from £120 upwards and fitting with a friend will take an afternoon...

I had a detachable Witter towbar with a single 13 pin socket fitted to my 2012 C Class for £375. After discussing it with the fitter he just used a standard wiring kit and I just turn off the Parktronic when I am towing. It works fine with no problems what so ever, and I don't really need the parktronic when I am towing

It's not turning off the parktronic that the Merc loom's main benefit is, it's the towing stability control that is useful. Although with a bike rack only, it's not an issue.

What exactly does it alter in the stability program?

You can most looms from pf jones in Manchester and the actual towbars for substantially less than list.

The x5 for instance would list at £700. All bought and fitted for £375

I see. It applies the brakes for you. In a well matched, well loaded rig it shouldn't be an issue anyway/QUOTE]

Most modern caravans are fitted with Alkoa electronic stability control, this does much the same thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom