detachable tow hitch info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BULLITTBOSS, Sep 14, 2011.

1. BULLITTBOSS

BULLITTBOSS Active Member

Car:
    r129 500sl
    Ijust bought a GL420,must say i am very pleased with the car,i have had Range Rovers,Toyota Landcruiser,and briefly owned other lesser 4x4s but the GL with the v8 diesel is awesome and certainly the best driving 4x4 i have driven with reasonable fuel consumption, currently enjoying 26mpg which is 6 more than i ever got out of the Rangerover and 9 from the landcruiser.
    the car has most options including a tow bar and electrics but no hitch,looks like there is a compartment in the spare wheel polystyrene where the hitch should be, am told by previous owner that this has to be purchased as an extra from Mercedes. Does anyone know if this is so??

Richard

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. jefrs

jefrs Active Member

Car:
    S210 E320 Avantgarde '98 full load
    I would have thought that if your MB had the fitting for the bar and the electrics, then it came with the bar, which fits into the removable foam rubber insert. Not much point for that if no ball hitch. I assumed the towing option was the body mods and included the ball hitch...

So you have the foam but no tow bar?

3. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

If you look under the back of the car do you have the connecter for the hitch to slot in?

Also can you see the electric socket?

Not sure on the GL but some if fitted by Mercedes actually fold down in place when you move a lever in the boot.

It maybe cut out in the foam for all models if you have the towbar or not.

If you do just need the hitch it would seem that somewhere along the way this has gone missing as surely if you have the electrics and attachment for the hitch then it would have come with it.

Have you checked in any other cubby also?

4. OP
    OP
    BULLITTBOSS

Car:
    r129 500sl
    Vehicle has the actual tow bar with electrical socket across rear of chassis handbook says there should be a lockable hitch near spare wheel in polystyrene compartment,not there or anywhere alse asked previous owner said it was never there,i guess somewhere along the line it has been either sold on or not put back,although i purchased car off the original owner from new,any way the tow bar is a bonus with or without hitch as it is an option on this car which i never knew had when purchased so better to buy the hitch than the complete towbar.
    Richard

5. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ correct if its a factory fitted one then probably around £800 option

The hitch should be a lot lot less :)

6. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Removable towbar (Westfalia) was £940 as a factory option on our Vito, 4 years ago.

7. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

^ Crazy prices....

Pretty sure on my ML the Westfalia detachable with twin electrics was £330 fitted :)

On the new E class its neat the way it drops down in place, at least you can see why it costs more...

:)

8. OP
    OP
    BULLITTBOSS

Car:
    r129 500sl
    I am still aftter a detachable tow hitch for my GL 420 original Oris Merc fit option, i have been told by me loca main dealer tha they are available at a price of £445 + vat!!
    does anyone know if any other make hitch will fit as i can buy complete kit for about £250 although would like to keep the original
    Richard

9. Benzmanc

Benzmanc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
    Got one on mine but without the detatchable bit, nothing to tow so not an issue. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer with the serial number. On mine there is a plate made by Brink with the numbers.

10. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    You should be able to get just the plug-in bit as they do got lost (or damaged).

The factory Westfalia one on the VW I had before the Vito got bent when the caravan I was towing at the time got shunted by an HGV. The insurance repairer supplied a new one.

11. OP
    OP
    BULLITTBOSS

Car:
    r129 500sl
    i have emailed Oris the manufacturer and have been told only available from Mercedes although they make them ! £445.00 + vat

12. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Blimey that's a ripoff :(

13. DiggerCarl

DiggerCarl New Member

Car:
    2008 420 GL Class
    Hi, I realise its a few years back now but wondered if you ever managed to get sorted on the towbar issue as i'm in the same situation.
    Regards Carl.