Detachable towing hook (W164)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
My ML500 (164) has the manufacturer/dealer hook up electrics but the detachable towing hook isn't in the car - not that I can see, unless it's hidden somewhere I haven't thought to look. I know it had one in the advert I saw of it so can only presume the last owner took it off before I collected it.

Are these pretty much the same for all Mercs or is it model dependant? I've not had one on any Merc before so not familiar with the set up.

Don't know about the W164 specifically but factory fitted removable tow hooks often have a storage position behind one of the interior trim panels, where the jack/toolkit/etc. live.

Reactions: Nat
Don't know about the W164 specifically but factory fitted removable tow hooks often have a storage position behind one of the interior trim panels, where the jack/toolkit/etc. live.
I think it should be in the spare wheel well in the W164.

My ML500 (164) has the manufacturer/dealer hook up electrics but the detachable towing hook isn't in the car - not that I can see, unless it's hidden somewhere I haven't thought to look. I know it had one in the advert I saw of it so can only presume the last owner took it off before I collected it.

Are these pretty much the same for all Mercs or is it model dependant? I've not had one on any Merc before so not familiar with the set up.
Can you post a photo of the receiver or socket up behind the rear bumper?

Can you post a photo of the receiver or socket up behind the rear bumper?

Here you go:-

gziUbv3.jpg

B9VFpEa.jpg

h46O7Ue.jpg

Looks like a Westfalia socket - factory fit for many MBs.

Thanks for that. I'll give them a call in the morning and see if they can source one for me.

I agree, it does look Westfalia-ish. Did you manage to get a photo of the release mechanism? For example, on a Westfalia-made towbar, there’s a three pointed knob (not dissimilar to the MB logo).

I agree, it does look Westfalia-ish. Did you manage to get a photo of the release mechanism? For example, on a Westfalia-made towbar, there’s a three pointed knob (not dissimilar to the MB logo).

BD, I'll nip underneath again when it's a bit drier.

Judging from the ones I've seen advertised it shows the three pointed knob on the removable swan neck along with what looks like three ball bearings evenly placed. The other thing I've just thought of. Would it have the 7 or 13 pin plug bearing in mind of it's age? I guess I'll find out at some stage. I bought the ML for a variety of reasons including taking up camping again, although I'm seriously thinking of doing away with canvas and buying a caravan.

I wouldn't have thought towing with it would be a problem :D

The other thing I've just thought of. Would it have the 7 or 13 pin plug bearing in mind of it's age?

I don't know what age it is, but the factory fitted removable towbar on our 2007 Vito came with a 13-pin 'euro' socket ... which is what yours appears to be. It doesn't really matter as you can get adapter leads for either direction (our 2004 caravan has the two 12N & 12S plugs).

That's pretty much identical to my Vito one, apart from the angle of the swan neck (the socket is higher off the ground on a W164, so it needs to be angled down to put the towball at the correct height above the road).

BD, I'll nip underneath again when it's a bit drier.

Judging from the ones I've seen advertised it shows the three pointed knob on the removable swan neck along with what looks like three ball bearings evenly placed. The other thing I've just thought of. Would it have the 7 or 13 pin plug bearing in mind of it's age? I guess I'll find out at some stage. I bought the ML for a variety of reasons including taking up camping again, although I'm seriously thinking of doing away with canvas and buying a caravan.

I wouldn't have thought towing with it would be a problem :D
It could be either 7 or 13 pin as previous owners could have retrofitted the 7 pin connectors - it would be 13 pin from the factory.

Jeez BD, how big is that! It makes your ML look like a toy car and that takes some doing :cool:

What sort of mpg is doing when it's towing? Can't be a lot.

That's pretty much identical to my Vito one, apart from the angle of the swan neck (the socket is higher off the ground on a W164, so it needs to be angled down to put the towball at the correct height above the road).

I didn't think of that as I thought they might all be the same, but apparently not. I've called westfalia and waiting for a call back.

Westfalia have just replied - The part that you require is 913192601005 and is £143 inc VAT and delivery. Yikes ...

Wow that's expensive.

I had one of those bent back into the bumper once. I stopped at a roundabout while towing (this was with a VW - they also use Westfalia), and the HGV behind drove straight into my caravan. Made a bit of a mess but amazingly the caravan was rebuilt rather than being written off.

Wow that's expensive.

That's what I thought.

I popped round to the person I bought it off and they said it was on there when I took it away.

I had one of those bent back into the bumper once. I stopped at a roundabout while towing (this was with a VW - they also use Westfalia), and the HGV behind drove straight into my caravan. Made a bit of a mess but amazingly the caravan was rebuilt rather than being written off.

Ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom