Detailed Engine C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark44

Car
C63 Estate Edition 507
Finished detailing my engine bay after a monumental brain-fart caused me to forget to put the oil cap back on after a top up.

I'd literally just got on the motorway when oil started spitting on the windscreen :fail.
Had to drive another 15 miles to the next exit as I didn't fancy stopping on the hard shoulder

It made a god awful mess(see by the first pic) , but what was worse was the stuff you couldn't see down the side and underneath the block.

To cut a long story short, I was going to get someone to do it, but then couldn't be sure anyone was going to take as much care and attention to my car as me - so I got all the bits and did it myself.

As well as covering the exposed electrics, alternator etc in cling film + tinfoil, I raised the car and removed the trays which seemed to contain buckets of oil :doh:

While I was at it, I cleaned and re-oiled the K+N filters, and changed the well lubricated serpentine belt.

Quite satisfying in the end, though I would have preferred not to have needed to!

a couple of invaluable links I used:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...how-detail-your-engine-like-professional.html

https://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/mercedes-benz-w204-c-class-how-to-jack-up-your-car-387027

https://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/mercedes-benz-c-class-amg-how-to-replace-serpentine-belt-388955

IMG_4092.jpg
IMG_4119.jpg
IMG_4120.jpghttp:
IMG_4122.jpg

Job well done Sir :)

Job well done Sir :)
+1 You'd never have known.
I think I'd have taken the chance of pulling onto the hard shoulder and replacing that cap. 15 miles is a long way to drive with oil spewing out the filler cap hole.

+1 You'd never have known.
I think I'd have taken the chance of pulling onto the hard shoulder and replacing that cap. 15 miles is a long way to drive with oil spewing out the filler cap hole.
Thanks.

It was the longest 15 miles I've endured! The motorway was really busy, it was getting late and tbh I had no idea it was so far to the next exit!

I was also amazed at the carnage caused by such a simple error, especially as I was going at a snails pace trying to keep the revs as low as possible.

Still, won't be making THAT mistake twice.

(I hope)

May I just say a huge thank you to the OP here. It's not often in life that I get to feel smug in the realisation that I am not the planets only plonker. With one minor but significant change to the chronological sequence of events.

I detailed my wife's BMW V8 to within an inch of perfection, before deciding to give the engine oil a slight top up. Yes, it was at this point that I left the filler cap of before setting off down the road. Dear God what a mess it made.

On my C55 I sat the power steering reservoir cap on top of the engine cover, only to see it gracefully slide off like an Olympic ski jumper in slow motion, it dropped onto the under tray and slid under the block, where it could only be retrieved by removing the trays. Still when I removed the trays it gave me the opportunity to reclaim most of my spanners, screwdrivers, nuts & bolts etc that I had dropped down there over the years.

Car looks great OP. Well done and thank you again for making my day.

Smashing job that, you should rightfully feel pleased with yourself.

Great job it looks great ! :thumb:

It's not often in life that I get to feel smug in the realisation that I am not the planets only plonker.

You're not the only one in the world. I done an oil change and forgot to put the sump bung back and of course I didn't realise this until the oil was touching my shoes.

It even took two seconds to register what was happening, I looked down saw something shine and thought I’d left a spanner on the ground then looked again and thought "why's it moving?" then realised exactly what I had done, let the remaining oil in the funnel drain into the engine then dived under the car removed my glove and jammed that in the hole while I went the retrieve the new bung I had brought for the change.:doh:

At least you redeemed yourself OP by making the engine bay lovely and shiny!

I'd literally just got on the motorway when oil started spitting on the windscreen :fail.
Had to drive another 15 miles to the next exit as I didn't fancy stopping on the hard shoulder

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom