Detailed my 'Luftwaffer' yesterday finally!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
1991 Mercedes W124 E230 Automatic
Also known as my W124 Merc
biggrin.gif

Bought this in March as a replacement for my written off Peugeot 106. I ordered plenty of cleaning supplies from Polished Bliss and awaited a good dry day when my (now 6 week old) son wasn't being a pain in the ****
lol1.gif

The cars bodywork is generally in good nick with just age related marks and the odd blemish. However the previous owner hadn't used the car much for the last few months so greeny moss had settled in on some rubber seals. Nothing serious but unsightly. The car just needed a reaaally good clean inside and out to look super.
thumb.gif

So, the method and products used...

• First I thoroughly rinsed ze Merc with my new Halfords (£39.99 from £79.99) pressure washer to blow away the German cobwebs.
  • Daisy all purpose cleaner (approx 1:20) was then sprayed on the troublesome mossy bits and agitated with my beautiful Mrs' toothbrush
    biggrin.gif
  • I then rinsed the car again with the pressure washer.
  • Next I cleaned the wheels using Autoglym clean wheels sprayed and agitated with a Meguiars wheel brush.
  • I washed the car using Autoglym car shampoo and a Meguiars lambswool wash mitt using the '2 bucket' method.
  • I rinsed the car again with the pressure washer and dried it using a Poorboys waffle weave towel.
  • I then sprayed the car one panel at a time with neat Autosmart Tardis in one of PB's chemical spray bottles to help with tar and other bug/sap residue.
  • The panels were wiped down after each one using a microfibre towel with the panels being throughly rinsed with the spray setting on the pressure washer.
  • I did the same on each wheel induvidually.
  • I give the car a really good rinse with the pressure washer to get any remaining Tardis off the bodywork.
  • Next up I clayed the whole car using water as a lubricant in another PB spray bottle using Mequairs quik clay.
  • Wiped down each panel afterwards with another microfibre.
  • I then polished ze Merc a panel at a time due to the hot sun (and having nowhere else to do it) using a Meguairs applicator pad and Menzerna Intensive Polish. Buffed with another microfibre.
  • I went round the car afterwards with another Meguiars applicator pad and Autoglym HD wax (again a panel at a time) and buffed with another micorfibre.
  • The wheels were coated with some nice Poorboys wheel sealant (the nice pink stuff) and buffed to a lovely shine
    biggrin.gif
  • I went round the trims with Black-in-a-flash and buffed for a nice glossy finish. I also gave the tyres a coat to look shiny.
  • The windows were all polished with Autoglym glass polish inside and out using another Meguairs pad and microfibre.
  • The metal trims (grill, door trims etc) were polished with Autosol metal polish and buffed to a shine afterwards.
The above took me from about 11am to 7.30pm yesterday.

Today I gave the interior a really good hoover out including the thick soft mats. I also wiped down all the surfaces with Armor-all trim wipes as these are really easy to use and smell nice afterwards.

I haven't any pictures of the interior but I took these exterior shots just after I finished last night before it got dark.

( I know the grill badge is missing - some little scrote nicked it on Hitlers birthday last last week, and a replacement will be arriving soon).

Comments welcome guys, obviously not everyones cuppa but it wafts me, the Mrs and baby Isaac around in super quiet comfort and safety
thumb.gif

P1000264.jpg

P1000265.jpg

P1000266.jpg

P1000267.jpg

P1000268.jpg

P1000269.jpg

Not bad for a 20 year old car that cost me £460
biggrin.gif

Andy

Looks really good.

So from a 106 to w124...notice any differences?

Looks fantastic - superb value for money too :thumb: :cool:

Any interior pics, engine bay...?

It's a lot of elbow grease, but a lovely warm feeling when you stand back and realise how good your P&J looks. There's something about the way red gleams in the sunshine! As you say, fantastic value for money, looks great.

markjay said:
Any interior pics, engine bay...?

Thanks guys. Lets just say although uber reliable and cheap to run the pug was just that a runaround. The Merc actually gets looks and comments. It's not mint but looks good for 20.

No pics of the engine bay, could get a couple of the interior.

Good work fella.. she scrubs up well. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Plug

excellent job, but what happened to your bonnet star?

I like the rear parking detector / protector ....... hit me and ouch..:D

Top purchase.

However I'd loose the tow bar and colour code the bumper inserts.

Top purchase.

However I'd loose the tow bar and colour code the bumper inserts.

I considered taking the towbar off but it's sorting the wire connections out. Do they just chop off or is there a bit of work involved?

Thought it may be a selling point to as it looks genuine Mercedes (or an expensive one) :)

I think I prefer the bumper inserts black. Cars filthy again now though :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom