Detailing advice for a spirited amateur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T9JVG

Car
C63 AMG
Afternoon all,

Was hoping the more experienced detailer(s) could offer me some advice on the below....

I first started getting interested in detailing, as opposed to a simple clean a few years ago, when I had a Z4 Coupe. In my enthusiastic/inexperienced state I popped down to Halfords, took advantage of their 3 for 2 and bought the following:

- Mer Shampoo
- Mer Polish
- Mer Wax
- Mer Glass cleaner
- AutoGlym wheel sealant (spray)
- Simoniz bug and tar remover
- A plethora of microfibres & applicators etc

I used the above for a couple of years, quite happily, and continued to do so when I chopped in the Z4 for a 2014 C63. I found that having rather more money 'invested' in a car furthered my desire to keep it looking ship shape and also protect the paint for better residuals/sellability. I've done some reading online and that, coupled with the suspected poor performance of the glass cleaner, wax (beads water for two weeks only and then fades) and Simoniz, has made me want to improve my routine. So I'm now thinking of doing the following:

- Shampoo (same as above until the MER runs out) - two bucket method
- Dry with microfibre
- Clay mitt applied with Autoglym rapid detailer as a lubricant
- Glass cleaner/sealant
- Polish, normally only every 3 months or so as paintwork is in good nick, until the MER runs out
- Carlack 68 Nano Systematic Care/sealant thingy
- Colinite 476 Wax (this and the above are in a bundle for £30 and seem to be highly regarded)
- Wheel sealant

The questions I have are...

- Does that seem like a decent routine/process?
- Does anyone have recommendations for glass? The Mer glass cleaner I have does nothing more than the shampoo and I want something that will repel the water and seal the finish
- Can anyone recommend a good wheel sealant? The Autoglym seems to work well but doesnt last long before it wears off
- Is the rapid detailer a suitable lubicant for claying and is the mitt the best way to do it, or is a block still the way forwards?
- Any recommendations on the best mitt/bar to use and how often one would do it?
- Is polish even worth bothering with given I don't have an orbital/DA?
- The Carlack Nano says is a cleaner as well as a sealant, does this mean that it will undo the work of the polish/rapid detailer?
- If it was a sealant I was going for, is the carlack 68 a decent one? How many coats would you recommend applying per routine?

Sorry for all the questions but I have high hopes that the forum collective will be able point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

T9

Afternoon all,

Was hoping the more experienced detailer(s) could offer me some advice on the below....

I first started getting interested in detailing, as opposed to a simple clean a few years ago, when I had a Z4 Coupe. In my enthusiastic/inexperienced state I popped down to Halfords, took advantage of their 3 for 2 and bought the following:

- Mer Shampoo
- Mer Polish
- Mer Wax
- Mer Glass cleaner

I used the above for a couple of years, quite happily, and continued to do so when I chopped in the Z4 for a 2014 C63. I found that having rather more money 'invested' in a car furthered my desire to keep it looking ship shape and also protect the paint for better residuals/sellability. I've done some reading online and that, coupled with the suspected poor performance of the glass cleaner, wax (beads water for two weeks only and then fades) and Simoniz, has made me want to improve my routine. So I'm now thinking of doing the following:

- Dry with microfibre
- Glass cleaner/sealant
- Polish, normally only every 3 months or so as paintwork is in good nick, until the MER runs out
- Colinite 476 Wax (this and the above are in a bundle for £30 and seem to be highly regarded)
- Wheel sealant

- Does anyone have recommendations for glass? The Mer glass cleaner I have does nothing more than the shampoo and I want something that will repel the water and seal the finish
- Can anyone recommend a good wheel sealant? The Autoglym seems to work well but doesnt last long before it wears off
- Is the rapid detailer a suitable lubicant for claying and is the mitt the best way to do it, or is a block still the way forwards?
- Any recommendations on the best mitt/bar to use and how often one would do it?
- The Carlack Nano says is a cleaner as well as a sealant, does this mean that it will undo the work of the polish/rapid detailer?
- If it was a sealant I was going for, is the carlack 68 a decent one? How many coats would you recommend applying per routine?

Sorry for all the questions but I have high hopes that the forum collective will be able point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

T9

Cor blimey, you mean to tell me i've been doing it all wrong all these years with a bucket of warm water, a squirt of Fairy Liquid,sponged over and hose piped off then chamoised.:wallbash: LOL

Cor blimey, you mean to tell me i've been doing it all wrong all these years with a bucket of warm water, a squirt of Fairy Liquid,sponged over and hose piped off then chamoised.:wallbash: LOL

Fairly liquid would strip the wax of your paintwork.

It's good as a wax stripper before paint correction but you must seal the paintwork afterwards with a good wax

Afternoon all,

- Mer Shampoo
- Mer Polish
- Mer Wax
- Mer Glass cleaner

- Dry with microfibre
- Glass cleaner/sealant
- Wheel sealant

Thanks in advance

T9

I too am after a decent wheel sealant as my alloys have just been refurbed... will be watching this tread eagle eyed :thumb:

Wheel sealant

I too am after a decent wheel sealant as my alloys have just been refurbed... will be watching this tread eagle eyed :thumb:

Great stuff. Easy to apply and works a treat. As recommended by my favourite OCD type.

auto_finesse_mint_rims_whee_wax.JPG

Oh dear, have been washing mine with fairy liquid then rinsing using a chamois leather, oops, good job it is silver.
Well I have made a start, bought some Simonize car wash n wax and am using a microfibre mitt to wash and a micro fibre cloth top polish dry. Will obviously need to start again from scratch! Lol

Hey I recognise this thread hehe. I replied to your one on PH mate. :)

Oh dear, have been washing mine with fairy liquid then rinsing using a chamois leather, oops, good job it is silver.
Well I have made a start, bought some Simonize car wash n wax and am using a microfibre mitt to wash and a micro fibre cloth top polish dry. Will obviously need to start again from scratch! Lol

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm just a complete geek/anaorak about anything car related. I've lost count of the number of times my neighbours have seen me cleaning the 63 and muttered "can't believe he is at again" under their breath :D

Me too, mine is silver as well. I wouldn't mind so much but Fairy Liquid goes twice as far as others do and feels soft as your face. :confused:

I once used Mer but products available now have exceeded those products!
There is detailing and there's detailing of course, depending on budget and how much time you have.
It's worthwhile doing a serious spring clean with the correct routine staged process. (Snow foam, Clay, wash, rinse, Polish,wax,sealant, that's just the outside lol)
Then a regular service wash and quick detail (depending on how nice you want your car to look 1. Good, 2 Excellent, 3 Brilliant, 4 Outrageous.
Warning!! Ocd will or could develop!
There are so many products to research,recommended and ones to avoid for all different reasons, nobody is wrong it's just preference and what works for you.
There are many great people on here that are at different stages of the journey of detailing and some that just had the eureka moment and some that haven't.
Take a look at John at "Forensic detailing" on utube and you will see the choices with products available, best product awards, how to...... And sensible subjective reasons why that is considered better than that. My eureka moment was testing the Bilt Hamber range, it's now my go to products, auto foam,auto wash, auto wheels, and clay bars, cleansing fluid, Double Speed Wax, Auto balm, finis wax, not forgetting the amazing Sufex HD APC. Sonax Brilliant QD to top. Carpro PERL tyre dressing! Not forgetting the right mitt, applicators, polishing microfibers from Ragmaster uk Korean) professor plush drying towel incredible from Fecks philosophy.by the time you invest in the all the gear and a reasonable idea detailing is fun!
Let's all keep our Mercedes the best looking and live the dream! I'm on my number 9 but they have all looked pretty clean lol

Me too, mine is silver as well. I wouldn't mind so much but Fairy Liquid goes twice as far as others do and feels soft as your face. :confused:

I remember my old man telling me when I was a wee nipper washing neighbours for pocket money that fairly liquid was acidic and attacked the paint, never used it after that

I was once told that bleach and ammonia contained in washing-up liquid break down the wax that is applied to the paintwork to protect it.
Once that protective layer top coat is damaged, modern paints can turn dull and, in extreme cases, start to crack.

I remember my old man telling me when I was a wee nipper washing neighbours for pocket money that fairly liquid was acidic and attacked the paint, never used it after that

You are right of course, my sense of humour has a lot to be desired, i would not use Fairy Liquid to wash my cars. That's my wife's job. ( there i go again )
On a serious note, great thread and we all appreciate the positive responses from members.

clearly we share our love of AMG's and certain car forums :thumb:

Agreed mate. Although people on here are far more pleasant/tolerant than on some forums! :thumb:

PH can be an odd place! lol

Me too, wheels being refurbished in couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom