Detailing Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bostonmj

Car
SL350 but miss my SL500
Hi there all,

Last week I found some time to give my baby a good clean:
  • First I rinsed it down with a hose,
  • washed it with maguires shampoo
    • (not quite got to the two bucket method yet!),
  • Dried with a good microfibre
    • (one of my best ever buys, dries the car in seconds),
  • Clayed with autoglym,
    • (until I started this process I didnt realise how rough my paintwork was couldnt believe how much muck came off during claying)
  • Conditioned using autoglym,
  • Waxed with autoglym.
Chuffed to bits with the finish, no swirls and a realy good shine.

1. How often should I go through this whole process?
  2. I like to clean and polish my baby every weekend - how do you suggest I clean her on a weekly basis ie do I wash and polish with a standard product or, wash and wax?
  3. Whats the difference between polish products and wax?
Thanks in advance,

Polish is abrasive (to varying degrees depending on the product) designed to remove surface blemishes. Wax is a protectant to keep environmental contaminants from damaging your paintwork.

Personally, I wash with Megs Gold (two bucket method), as and when required and finish with Megs Last Touch detailing spray. If the detailing spray tends to 'drag' it's time to re-wax. I use Collinite 915

I have not polished my car ever but I did clay recently and yes, lots of muck came off. I do apply a polymer seal (Carlack69) a couple of times a year, after a very careful clean and (now I'll do it after claying) before waxing.

Last edited:
Ok,

What I have been doing is washing with Megs Gold then polishing then adding Megs lasst touch detailing spray.

So you are saying drop the polishing, continue with the rest and wax now and then. What is the polymer seal you refer to?

I always finish with detailing spray, even after waxing.

If by polishing you mean as I have defined, then yes drop the polishing. Should only need to be done on an infrequent basis, to correct surface defects.

You can wax as often as you like, it can't hurt!

Sorry I should have said Car-lack 68

CARLACK68 - The best acrylic wax in the world

I always finish with detailing spray, even after waxing.

If by polishing you mean as I have defined, then yes drop the polishing. Should only need to be done on an infrequent basis, to correct surface defects.

You can wax as often as you like, it can't hurt!

Sorry I should have said Car-lack 68

CARLACK68 - The best acrylic wax in the world

I use Carlack68. Highly recomended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom