Detailing / Cleaning advice

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bostonmj, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bostonmj

bostonmj Active Member

Car:
    SL350 but miss my SL500
    Hi there all,

Last week I found some time to give my baby a good clean:
    • First I rinsed it down with a hose,
    • washed it with maguires shampoo
      • (not quite got to the two bucket method yet!),
    • Dried with a good microfibre
      • (one of my best ever buys, dries the car in seconds),
    • Clayed with autoglym,
      • (until I started this process I didnt realise how rough my paintwork was couldnt believe how much muck came off during claying)
    • Conditioned using autoglym,
    • Waxed with autoglym.
    Chuffed to bits with the finish, no swirls and a realy good shine.
    1. How often should I go through this whole process?
    2. I like to clean and polish my baby every weekend - how do you suggest I clean her on a weekly basis ie do I wash and polish with a standard product or, wash and wax?
    3. Whats the difference between polish products and wax?
    Thanks in advance,

2. Superspec

Superspec Active Member

Car:
    Car
    The only maintenance you'll need to do for the next 2-3 months is washing and drying. The wax will protect your paint and keep it looking shiny. If you want to, and it's not a bad idea, you could get a quick detailer to "top up" the shine between waxes. Quick detailers contain carnuba waxes and silicone, you just lightly spray onto clean paint and buff off gently with a soft microfibre. Halfrauds do a few the best being one of the Meguiars products, NXT range is probably the best. However, if you check out sites like Polished Bliss or Autobrite you'll find lots of other QD products that are a lot better. Eimann Fabrik Pearl 2 or Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant are both brilliant.

You only need to clay, polish and wax when you intend replacing the wax, so every 2-3 months.

Polish and wax do very different jobs. I replied to a thread yesterday with a explanation, I think it's called what's the difference between polish and wax!!

HTH

Rich

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011