Detailing spray and clay bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not really. T cut is an agressive polish, clay is a semi-solid very mild abrasive that works by removing anything that projects above the paint surface by use of being a bit stiffer.
It leaves the paint feeling very smooth.

The one i've got is the nuclear green one ....

It says this about it .... which is why i bought it.

' Sonus extra fine detailing clay green

You have just discovered the ultimate detailing clay for anyone who makes the effort to maintain perfect paint. After more than a year of testing and development, Sonus developed a new clay formula for regular use to remove light contamination and maintain perfectly smooth paint.

What's so different about this clay? Simply put, it is the most gentle detailing clay ever manufactured. It has been specifically developed for car enthusiasts who want to clay their car frequently without fear of adding micro-fine scratches to their paint. The polishing particle size in Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay is 29% finer than standard "consumer grade" detailing clay, yet it is just as effective at removing common paint contamination problems. '

One other thing that i don't think has been mentioned as yet - ensure the clay bar is warmed and pliable - and don't forget to 'turn over' the bar (ie. fold and remanipulate) regularly!

Some 'quick detailing spray' is the best lubricant

I just don't have time for this sort of thing, my car gets a once over at the local Czech car wash......

Claying, detailing, polishing...wow....it's a car aren't you then petrified of driving it and getting it dirty?

Clay isn't meant to be used regularly, it's a surface contaminate cleaner designed to be used annually or half annually before polishing.
Any marring should be taken care of by the polish used next.

You mean waxing? :p

Re-wax. Polish takes layers off, wax adds layers on.;)

nothing wrong with claying once on a while, i use the meguiers quikclay with the detailing spray, works well.

Leemc2008 said:
I use Meguairs Detailing spray as lube for my clay bar. Comes in a red spray bottle. :)

I'm with Lee (although I can't be ar$ed to clay my car anymore). It's available in Halfords.

You mean waxing? :p

No, I mean polishing.
You use clay to remove contaminents so that the polishing wheel doesn't grab them and swirl them round the paint when polishing.;)

After the paint is polished it can be protected with wax or sealant.

Just a thought.

I have a couple of very small stone chips along and just above the leading edge of my bonnet. The chips are not down to the metal and neither are they past the paint, I'm certain its just the clearcoat itself that has been chipped.

They will be about 3mm and 2mm approx in diameter. I'm thinking of filling them with MB clearcoat, from one of their touch up pens, applied with a very fine artist brush or toothpick or even the end of an hypodermic needle then leaving them for a couple of weeks to harden.

Assuming they dry slightly proud, would a clay bar work to level them down to the same level as the surrounding clearcoat and paintwork followed by a good waxing?

Portzy.

Not really, you ideally want some very fine wet and dry, then a compound polish once the touch ups are level. The clay bar 'drags' contaminants off the surface of the paint, it doesn't flatten them as such.

I think I read about using a hole punch to punch tiny discs out of wet and dry, then superglue onto the end of a rubber tipped pencil. Would make quite a neat 'levelling stick' :)

Will

Don't use the punched disk idea, the edges catch the paint and scratch it. Just use some Isopropanol on a cloth over a credit card.

Don't use the punched disk idea, the edges catch the paint and scratch it. Just use some Isopropanol on a cloth over a credit card.

Interesting, how does that work then?, does the isopranonol dissolve or flatten the laquer in some way? Sorry to hi-jack the thread :eek: , hope noboby minds.

Portzy.

It causes the lacquer to soften and then the flat rag wipes it down to a level. Afterwards just polish up to perfection then wax.

The process is to fill in the small chips/ scratches with paint/lacquer, then rb them down with fine wet and dry. Firstly 2000 grit them 4000 grit.
Then using your polisher and polish, polish out those fine scratches.

Last edited:
The process is to fill in the small chips/ scratches with paint/lacquer, then rb them down with fine wet and dry. Firstly 200 grit them 400 grit.

Make that 3000 grit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom