Detailing tools (stopping them rusting)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

Does anybody use or recommend a good rust inhibitor/blocker that you would use in a Garage Tool Chest to stop metal tools from gathering rust?

I have looked at some of the Bull Frog Rust Inhibitor Strips but have no idea if they work or are a panacea? I really need some real life experience here please? Some of these products are cheap and I could see money going to waste very quickly on chocholate teapot sprays.

What I really wanted was something like a tool wipe product that would leave a coating on each tool as you clean it down with the wipe (yes I clean the tools). I had considered the well tried & tested (just don't clean them) route but this can lead to nasty surprised in a mushroom/creme coloured interior. So I really am looking at the "clean & protect route"

I am liking the idea of an aerosol type product combined with a wipe/cloth but will take sensible suggestions. Wrapping them in grease proof paper is not the route I wish to go down as I do like to be abe to see what tool is what & where.

I do use a garage de-humidifier.

We are not talking rust garnered through biblical flooding here. This is more the very fine surface rust that can accumulate through normal climate changes in a detached (dry) Domestic Garage.

I use ACF50 spray.

It gets really good reviews as a corrosion inhibitor. I was sceptical so gave it a go on my 40 year old Kawasaki motorcycle which used to suffer in my damp garage over winter.

Spray onto a cloth and wipe onto any surface that needs protection. it really works. I've tried WD40 in the past but the protection doesn't last.

The ACF50 gives long lasting protection. Very impressive.

Chris

I would suggest it's not working very well?

Russ

The issue with any de-humidifier is the fact that the garage is not a single cube. It is full of storage boxes, tool chests and hot & cold cars (three at a time) when not in use. So I would need an industrial unit to rely heavily upon it to protect every single tool. I just want to be sure and not find out when I need the tool, months down the line.

I either use a small spary of silicon grease on a cloth and polish them up after i have use them.

Another thing to try is wipe them over with IPA, it's just not a good idea to wipe anything with mechaincal movement as it dries them out.

I found that the lads in production were wiping the big steel rollers on one of the machines with IPA which would stop the rusting for a few weeks. I've stopped them doing this as it dries out the bearings.

Tools rust when they are not being used. Light coat of WD40 or any other oil will protect them for a while. Personally I’m not bothered.

Personally I wouldn't use WD40 for anything other than what it is designed for and lubrication is not one of those things. It has solvent properties and can dissolve existing oils which then evaporate leaving the item in worse state then when you started

Heat pads in your toolbox

No idea, i have noticed in different garages i have worked in that when its a cold damp garage they rust but in a warm heated garage they dont, so going with this knowledge them heat pads from a reptile vivarium in the bottom drawer of your toolbox should stop them rusting up

A dry garage? I don't have any rusty tools.

That was my point regarding the dehumidifier not working. I'm told that metal does not rust below 40% humidity, so if you can keep it below that your OK.
I can see the point about air in cupboards & drawers but the dehumidifier I have claims that it will still draw moisture out of air even in those circumstances.

Russ

Tools rust when they are not being used. Light coat of WD40 or any other oil will protect them for a while. Personally I’m not bothered.
WD40 gets my vote always clean them with a wd and leave a film on them I do this my tools at home and work, plus I think they smell nice lol.

Keep your tools oiled, an oily rag to rub off a spray of WD40 or other similar will help, but as said just raise the temperature of your garage a little.

“Heat pads in your toolbox”

Wasn’t that a hit for Womack & Womack ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No short answer to the wife why I just sniggered reading that...”well someone posted......I’ll explain in the morning”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still cannot stop bopping to Womack & Womack as they beat out “Heat Pads in my Tool Box. Remind me baby, of you”

Cheers Bruce, that old favourite of mine will never be the same again[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I am really surprised that rust dares to venture into your garage Bruce. ( to new readers , Bruce is OTT in the toolbox department!)............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom