Devices to stop Misfueling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Which do other members rate as being the best.

Solo Diesel

Fuel Angel

or The Rac Fuel Sure

David

Half a brain :D

I'd like to agree....but

I have never put petrol in a diesel but I did spend 2 minutes trying to get diesel in a petrol rental... I managed 1.5 litres before I realised why it kept spilling out so much.

brain-990x622.png

I haven't looked at any of these products. Have you considered something like a Dymo printer? I have one and bought some very 'stand out' tape which appears to stick to anything…………..including filler caps?

Alternatively, a sprung coil key chain with a tag with the relevant fuel type on it, attached on the inside of the fuel filler cover?

Half a brain :D

Churlish ! (you may need to look up the meaning)

Manners maketh man, if you can't say something sensible keep it shut.

Moonloops post (supported by 5 others) was clearly in jest, your response was rude, insulting and uncalled for and, if you value manners as suggested, shows double standards.:wallbash:

Last edited:
Which do other members rate as being the best.

Solo Diesel

Fuel Angel

or The Rac Fuel Sure

David

Fuel angel is a replacement cap which is orange and has 'Diesel' on it to act as a reminder-----might as well buy Airfix enamel and a sticker (lot less that £40)

Solo Diesel is a cap and insert that stops the narrower unleaded nozzle being used- not a bad idea

Fuel Sure is much the same as Solo but appears to suffer from a design fault whereby water from rain or washing collects and gets into the tank.

I now know much more than I need or want to about mis-fueling devices (thanks for not posting some links; I enjoyed doing the research for myself) but if I had to choose, the Solo is the better device.

However, instead of spending FIFTY QUID, I think I would work out a system (whether paint, stickers, snake in a can) that would serve to remind me……if my car uses diesel, leave the filler cap black and if it uses unleaded, paint the cap green.

And use stickers on the cap or look at the label inside the filler cover before you start fuelling.

Yeah simple things are the best, To put the matter straight;

after spending a few days watching my 91 year old mother get steadily worse & not having much sleep I put petrol in my car instead of diesel, ok I should have been more careful. I guess my half a brain wasn't working.

However, we've all made mistakes when stressed.:crazy:

So I really wanted to ensure that I don't do it again.

D

I haven't looked at any of these products. Have you considered something like a Dymo printer? I have one and bought some very 'stand out' tape which appears to stick to anything…………..including filler caps?

Alternatively, a sprung coil key chain with a tag with the relevant fuel type on it, attached on the inside of the fuel filler cover?

With all that on your mind, Dave, it's hardly surprising. It probably did not help one little bit at the time but having done it once, chances are you'll be extra vigilant in the future so at most a tag blu-tacked to the filler cap should be more than enough.

All the best, Kevin

As I have a whole brain and not half of one, I use a Fuel Angel. It works by stopping the narrower petrol nozzle from entering the filler with appropriately shaped and sized inserts. It's much more than just an orange cap with 'Diesel' written on it.

I have also tried the Solo Diesel and indeed prefer it as it's less fiddly (no cap to remove for one thing), but it has one big drawback. It doesn't seal too well and it allows fuel to drip into the filler well and hence down the drain tube and onto the forecourt. When I'm out walking I keep my eyed directed downwards for a likely looking rubber ring which might improve matters, but so far I've not found anything.

Not letting the mrs loose at the pumps! Only joking! ;)

Not letting the mrs loose at the pumps! Only joking! ;)

... I was just going to write this! ;)

And yes, my misses has managed to put petrol in her (old) diesel before now. As I’m sure many guys have too. It’s just that I have experience of it!

She did manage to call me and say that she thought she had done it... “ STOP NOW, before you do damage” was my sweet reply to her.

... “well I’m nearly at work now, it was 12 miles ok. You know, I thought I picked up the wrong pump! I’ll get to the car park at work I think, and you can sort it from there” :wallbash:

I jest you not!

I love the RAC.
And her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom