Devon fishing weekend.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GRAV888

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 CLA 180 AMG in Black (mine) 2018 GLA 200 SE in Black (wifes)
I know there are some budding fishermen (and ladies) on here, so I am going to organise a weekends fishing on a World record holding charter boat in Brixham, Devon.
We will probably go down on a Thursday afternoon and fish the Friday and again on the Saturday, with loads of drinking done at night time.
The boat can accomodate 12 people and deposits would need to be taken.
I am thinking of buying a trailer tent, so could put a couple of people up.
B&B's are available.
Have a look HERE AT THE BOAT and see what you think.
We can arrange a suitable weekend if there are enough interested people.
Chris, the owner and skipper, is a very knowledgeable bloke and I have fished his boat a number of times.
Copy and paste below in the usual way if you are interested.
I am looking to do this within the next 2 months.
Subject to glojo's approval, we might even have time for a mini burning rubber session, i mean gtg, on the Sunday afternoon.

GRAV888 - both days

Last edited:
Good luck for the trip. He is indeed a highly regarded skipper, and those bass are excellent specimens. (yummy)

The World Record conger he highlights is a record fish for the 12Ib breaking strain line, but 100lB conger are a regular site in our local paper, never on 12Ib line though?? That is some achievement (conger usually bolt into wrecks or rock crevices and will NOT come out)

Good luck,
John

Have you seen the photos in the more info section???wow!
Car in the drink etc

Could you give an indication of cost for the fishing please assuming 12 interested?

splang said:
Have you seen the photos in the more info section???wow!
Car in the drink etc

Could you give an indication of cost for the fishing please assuming 12 interested?

I'll give him a ring tomorrow to find out the costs.
Have a look HERE for videos of the monsters they catch. (WARNING:- Some bad language every now and then).

Hi Grav
Did you eventually go on this trip?

I felt guilty to follow-up my questions on R2D2's thread which was a rifle topic, so hopefully we can have a bit of 'fish' talk here.

I see your total weight for cod on your trip was 22Ib and you caught 6 fish.

I have only really fished the South Devon, Western Approaches, Eddystone, mid-channel and Guernsey/Jersey areas so my fishing is limited to the West country.

In your experience how do the waters I have fished compare to those which you have used?
What is your favourite location?
What is your favourite sporting specimen?
What is your favourite eating :) fish?

I have never tasted turbot or brill although both are species which I would have like to catch. Years ago we used to fish the Skerries for the excellent plaice which were to be found in abundance, but as I keep saying my favourite eating fish is bass which of course is an excellent fighting fish when caught on light line. Cod is also right up there regarding eating, but the bigger specimens tend to loose some of the taste. (Anything less than 22Ib we put back :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D I'm joking, but we used to return smaller cod perhaps 2Ib??? or less but I'm not sure)

Look forward to hearing of your experiences.

Regards,
John

I've just been again for an hour or so to retrieve my rod rest which some plonker pulled in with a speedboat yesterday when he came to close to the banks.
I used 3 sandeels on each rod with a couple of mackeral spinners for good measure.
Caught a couple of eels and a......................BASS:bannana: :bannana:
It was 14" long, so it's on the limits of keeping / throwing back.
I threw it back in after telling it to go and get his dad:devil:, but being a youngster, he didn't listen :crazy:

I really thought it was a bigger fish as it put up a good fight and you have to be careful where I go due to the rocks and snagging the lines.

Not done the Brixham trip yet and I'm still waiting for Chris to get back to me with prices / dates etc.
Best fighting fish I've found was a conger 5 yrs ago off his boat and I like to eat a nice huss (rock salmon).

I'm busy doing the BTCC next weekend and the BSB the weekend after, so my fishing will have to take a little rest.
I have arranged a trip with some friends and neighbours to Dungeness for the weekend after though, so hopefully, might have some better results to report back:rolleyes:

I felt guilty too in the air rifle thread, but then again, doesn't fishing come under the same category, 'Hunting, Fishing and Shooting'?:D

GRAV888 said:
Not done the Brixham trip yet and I'm still waiting for Chris to get back to me with prices / dates etc.
Best fighting fish I've found was a conger 5 yrs ago off his boat and I like to eat a nice huss (rock salmon).

I've caught 60lb plus conger on 20lb line and as you say they don't give in easily, especially when they get near the surface and decide to go back down (70 or so metres :) :) )

Bull Huss, lesser spotted doggies are a species I forgot to mention on the eating choices :) :) It used to make me laugh when poor wife was cleaning them prior to freezing!! These fish had been 'top, tailed' gutted, skinned on the boat, but when wife grabbed the meat it still sometimes wriggled :D :D I can still hear her screams!! :) :) Happy days!!!

Where is your favourite fishing location?

Whilst we are chatting, do you have any lever drag reeels? I must confess to being a convert and still have all my reels :eek: :eek: (Penn's and Shimano's)

Sorry to ramble on, I'm just so envious

Just to make my day, all I need is for Janner to pipe up about having a great day out on his boat!!!
(but he would never do that!!)

John the reminiscer

:p

now that does look better fun than i had on my holidays in greece - 2 half days and a full day - didn't catch a thing!!!!!!!!!!!! - I wasn't playing the TOP GUN theme though - is this the secret???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom